PDA

View Full Version : 6.5" Coaxials

kronik
01-28-2005, 09:25 PM
Hey guys.. Couple questions.

1. I have a 1999 Camry XLE. It has stock components; tweeters are mounted in the corner of the window. Question.. how difficult do you think it would be to remove those and mount new ones? I've never done any audio installs but I will be starting relatively soon. I had lined up - Alpine 9836, Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.1, 2 RE 12" XXX, MTX 1501d modded by Scottie J, and no amp for the speakers.. as of yet (I will be getting one, eventually, as well as some 6x9's most likely.)

2. Do you think it's better with my setup to go with coax or components, as well as ease of install / utilizing the crossover. I do a lot of reading so while I am a novice, I'm a sponge right now and I don't want to invest in noobie gear if I'm going to be unsatisfied in 3 months.

3. Any suggestions on coax or components, around the price range of the Kappas, that may be better?

Thanks in advance.

Raven
01-28-2005, 10:31 PM
Well, my first point of advice to a sponge, since you're gonna listen, is to take out the stock components, and put them back in. Do this more than once. You'll figure out what size tweeter you can work with, and how easy / hard it will be to replace. Also, I was so convinced that my Taurus took 6.5" speakers, every site in the world said they took 6.5s. I pulled out the Sony 6.5" I had replaced stock with, sure enough, they were both 5.25" speakers, and I had to fashion new mounts with high carbon steel and plasma cutter. Took hours of work to do.

A lot of people have given me bad vibes about the Infinity comps. Generally I hear they lack midbass, and don't handle power quite like a good comp set could. In fact, rumor has it the surround is so brittle it can break.

My advice would be to look into something with real good midbass and a harsh tweeter. You're going to miss midbass later on when you can tell the difference between it and subbass, and tweeters can always be lowered, most crossovers have a -3db or even -6db filter, and if not, a simple resistor would work.

Search around for kickpanels.

I guess I'm going to have to make a call in the dark, and say look back into RE for comps. Can't really go wrong with RE. What kind of budget are we looking into?

ighettoboyi
01-28-2005, 10:32 PM
1. wouldnt be hard if there's enough room for the new tweet.

2. everyones gonna say components up front and coax in back

3. focal dls cdt re adire oz boston rainbow blah blah blah blah blah :moon:

Raven
01-28-2005, 10:54 PM
Oh, one other thing. This has served me well.

www.google.com

Type in the name of just about any piece of equipment, and you'll find reviews, prices, and most anything you'd need to know. I use it on along with the classified to find some super deals.

kronik
01-28-2005, 11:37 PM
I use Google on a regular basis, believe me. I figured polling a forum populated by car audio enthusiasts was a reasonable approach, even if to do nothing more than to collect information to search for with GOOGLE. Thanks though.

That's an excellent idea in regards to removing the tweeters and reinstalling them.. through GOOGLE., before I checked back here.. I saw people using Exacto knives and whatnot to remove glue and all this gibberish. I'm hoping there's an easier approach to this.. I just have to find out from someone who's removed the stock tweeters in my model car, before. Hell, I'm sure most tweeters are installed the same way; I just need to do more research, as always.