PDA

View Full Version : tweeter angles

noob with an RS
01-27-2005, 02:44 PM
hey i have a 1994 integra and a set of infinity perfect 6.1 components. i have my mids and tweeters in the factory location (door panel). where should i point my tweeters at? should they meet between the driver and passenger? or should i point them so that they meet at the rearview mirror?? i also read somewhere else that they should be angled in relation to the windshield? can anyone please give me input on this?

amedeuce
01-27-2005, 02:48 PM
You know I was just about to ask this very question, if you dont mind I'm gonna post some pics for reference.

amedeuce
01-27-2005, 02:48 PM
Which would be better?

http://gallery.caraudio.com/vg/1/1/0/0/4/2136-3033-40346.jpg

amedeuce
01-27-2005, 02:49 PM
or something like this
http://gallery.caraudio.com/vg/1/1/0/0/4/176-174-21864.jpg

amedeuce
01-27-2005, 02:51 PM
I think pic 1 would be best right?

amedeuce
01-27-2005, 02:53 PM
In pic 1 the very bottom right hand corner of the pic that is where the woofer is located, so it's pretty close

*side note*
Sorry to jack your thread, but it's better than posting an exact same one right after you did.

amedeuce
01-27-2005, 02:55 PM
another pic differant location

http://images2.fotki.com/v19/photos/2/24434/186829/SubsandAmp007-vi.jpg

noob with an RS
01-27-2005, 03:22 PM
hey those first two pics don't work but the last one does. oh, and THIEF!! this is MY thread!!!!!! someone answer my question first please as my question pertains to WHERE SHOULD I POINT MY TWEETERS FROM THEIR FACTORY LOCATION DOOR PANEL.

amedeuce
01-27-2005, 03:36 PM
WHERE SHOULD I POINT MY TWEETERS FROM THEIR FACTORY LOCATION DOOR PANEL.
Oh sorry, I didnt see "factory location"

amedeuce
01-27-2005, 03:40 PM
pics fixed

amedeuce
01-27-2005, 03:41 PM
http://gallery.caraudio.com/vg/1/1/0/0/4/2136-3033-40346.jpg

I like this one

Dj-torn
01-27-2005, 04:11 PM
Here is my best suggestion to you both, take the tweeters and some duct tape and place the tweeters in differnet locations, and sit in your car and listen to them.

There is no one best way to mount them, some people like them to point to them directly and others like it to bounce of the winshield so that its inderict and it fills the cabin, it all depends on your taste in sound.

Tweeter have very short wavelenghts and there fore placement is key.

Hope this helps.

noob with an RS
01-27-2005, 04:30 PM
what does it mean to "fill the cabin"?

squeak9798
01-27-2005, 04:39 PM
what does it mean to "fill the cabin"?

I think he means that the reflection would scatter the sound waves more. Though, keep in mind that it typically isn't wise to purposefully reflect the sound waves. When the waves reflect, they can distort or cause cancellation....not good things.

But, what he said about the duct tape (or velcro works also) is the best way to go about it. Just place them in different locations and see what sounds best to you and in your setup.

amedeuce
01-27-2005, 04:48 PM
Yea, thanks sqeak, Im gonna do that with the velcro. Only reason I think the one right above/by the door handle would be a good starting place cause that is were someone with the same vehicle I have, have theirs mounted. But like you said it might not be optimum for my tastes.

Dj-torn
01-27-2005, 05:10 PM
Squeak9798 has answered this already, but here is my explaination just in case.

Before i go to far, Fill the cabin is my owe personal termenolagy that i have given to what im about to difine it as.

Defenition of Fill the cabin.
The best way that you can think of this is when you walk into a theater, imagine watching a movie in Theater 1 which only has the front speakers going.
And lets say that you happen to pear into another movie in Theater 2 where all the speakers are plaing.
In theater 1 you can only hear the sound from the front, and therefore if you are sitting in the middle (closer to the front) somewhere, you will hear emptyness from behind you and you will also be able to identify where the sound is coming from. What is known as direct sound
In theater 2 with all the speakers on (like a regular theater) you will not feel that emptyness nor be sure if you can tell exactly where the sound is coming from (also known as indirect positioning of speakers) hence filling the room and my term for car the cabinin. And that is where "Fill the cabin" comes from.

Now how does this relate to tweetwer, if you point them somewhere other than your head you can probably manage to get the effect of theater 2 where you can't really tell where the sound is coming from. If you point them directly at yourself you are going to hear exactly where it is coming from, it will sound like a the sound is aming sraight at your ears.

I hope this helps, i am going to if not i don't mind explaining it in another way. im also going to try to post some pic of what im talking about

noob with an RS
01-27-2005, 05:20 PM
well as for me, i have no choice but to use the factory location of my tweeters.. which is just like the very first pic.. except different car.. but same exact configuration (tweeters and mids on door panel). so using velcro or duct tape to test various locations is not an option for me. so where would a true audiophile point the tweeters from this location for a combination of SQ and piercing highs?

Dj-torn
01-27-2005, 06:28 PM
well as for me, i have no choice but to use the factory location of my tweeters.. which is just like the very first pic.. except different car.. but same exact configuration (tweeters and mids on door panel). so using velcro or duct tape to test various locations is not an option for me. so where would a true audiophile point the tweeters from this location for a combination of SQ and piercing highs?

If you want ear piercing i say just point them towards you. That way there is minimal refraction leading to distortion and you get the effect that you want "earpiercing".

But thats what i would do to acheive that.