View Full Version : How Many Db's?

BC_BIGBUDZ420
01-24-2005, 06:31 PM
ite im trying to build an spl steup for my 92 mustang 5.0 hatch

i will have 2 modded 1501D's powering a 15" MT

what kinda alternator will i need?

what would be the perfect box design

if i had a really good box what kinda db's could i hit approx

theres a celica with a jugg 15" and i really want to beat his *** this year because he posted the highest db's last year

jtomsic
01-24-2005, 06:32 PM
200dBs

pwnt by pat
01-24-2005, 06:33 PM
a powerful one
ported
elevendy-billion

jtomsic
01-24-2005, 06:34 PM
elevendy-billion
thats my favorite number.

Johnny Drama
01-24-2005, 06:36 PM
no no with that kinda sub and power I would have to day between 0-170db on the new term lab

BC_BIGBUDZ420
01-24-2005, 06:55 PM
im just looking for help with my setup, im kinda new to the competition stuff

help a noob out plz :)

i will pay some1 $20 for a really good box design

if i can hit over 150 than i will probably beat that celica

InhumanAcura
01-24-2005, 07:01 PM
Send me a PM with your dimensions and resonant frequency...

rockingchair69
01-29-2005, 02:59 AM
http://www.mean-green.com/products/
http://www.h-o-alternators.com/
http://www.mralternator.com/
http://www.excessiveamperage.com/
http://search.ebay.com/mustang-alternator_eBay-Motors_W0QQcatrefZC12QQfromZR40QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQs acatZ6000QQsojsZ1
615-287-7991 here's Iraggis phone #
and ohio generators # 1-330-875-6677
you're gonna need something huge jeff good luck
as for your box I heard Jmac designs some good boxes for 10-15 bucks
let me know how it goes

hoss
01-29-2005, 03:06 AM
do a search. there is an online calculator that will tell you how stupid this question is.

rockingchair69
01-29-2005, 03:08 AM
do a search. there is an online calculator that will tell you how stupid this question is.

wow your helpful

jimmyslide
01-29-2005, 03:13 AM
Good luck hitting over 150 in that car...can be done, but all I am saying is good luck!

It all depends with what you are competing in. Serious DBdrag racing? Local comps? Friendly competition?

If for DBdrag purposes, will all rules be followed (street rules)?

Many variables to consider besides hooking 2 amps up to 1 sub and making noise.

hoss
01-29-2005, 03:27 AM
wow your helpful
perhaps more helpful than you understand... trying to guess how well his system will do on a mic, is kinda like trying to guess a fat girls weight without ever seeing her... so many things to consider.

the only way to figure out how well youre going to do on a mic, is to get on a mic.

and since youre new here, learn some things before you try attacking the people who do know things :tomatofa: . you might just find that behind a smart *** answer, is someone who knows something, and they are tired of answering the same stupid questions...(i think i speak for a number of people on here with that one)

rockingchair69
01-29-2005, 03:34 AM
I didn't attack you. your post was rude and not needed you attacked him and now me aswell. BY your way of thinking your 500+ posts doesn't make you very knowledgable does it since there are people here 1000s more posts than you hell profile power must be almost as smart as you since he has almost 400 posts whatever man ;)

hoss
01-29-2005, 03:38 AM
when did i say that post count was directly related to knowledge??

i pointed out that you are fairly new here to the forum. never once did i say that the more you post the more you know.

and since you already know about profile power, you already know this forum is full of post *****s.

now since you have affirmed the fact that you cant comprehend what you are reading, i bid you good day :)

rockingchair69
01-29-2005, 03:45 AM
"and since youre new here, learn some things before you try attacking the people who do know things"

right here see. since I'm new to this forum I dont know as much as you or other people here who have been here longer. got news for you these aren't the only forums here and maybe I just didn't sign up here the very second I found this forum. I bet no one here would miss your 500 posts any more than mine if they all just disappeared you dont seem to knowledgable so why dont you just keep your keep your fingers off the keyboard and your ignorant comments to yourself :p:

Acidburn
01-29-2005, 03:57 AM
hoss knows his ****

hoss
01-29-2005, 04:00 AM
youre still missing the point... i didnt even look at your post count, i looked at the little thing under your name that says when you joined... if you did know what you claim to know, you would understand why the question is unanswerable.

i know there are other forums, im on a number of them... and im sure no one here would miss me either, but that is neither here nor there. so why dont you stop talking out of your ***, unless you actually have nothing better to do than to argue on the internt, just move on and learn a lesson from it.

go ahead and do a search for my name... you will see several posts where i have helped people. i dont just post "ignorant comments", i just post them where they apply ;)

and thank you acidburn :)

Acidburn
01-29-2005, 04:01 AM
you're welcome

rockingchair69
01-29-2005, 04:06 AM
youre still missing the point... i didnt even look at your post count, i looked at the little thing under your name that says when you joined... if you did know what you claim to know, you would understand why the question is unanswerable.

i know there are other forums, im on a number of them... and im sure no one here would miss me either, but that is neither here nor there. so why dont you stop talking out of your ***, unless you actually have nothing better to do than to argue on the internt, just move on and learn a lesson from it.

go ahead and do a search for my name... you will see several posts where i have helped people. i dont just post "ignorant comments", i just post them where they apply ;)

and thank you acidburn :)

not missing the point. I realize that there is really only one way to answer the question setup your gear and get on a mic it's kind of a redundant question and frequently asked aswell but that wasn't all he wanted to know right

80INCHES
01-29-2005, 04:08 AM
ok hers the deal......pm me and i'll hook u up with something...i wont even charge u ..i design for the love of the sport....u wont hit 150 but u will be in the 140's i know that...unless u get another sub and 2 more modded amps

UndercoverPunk
01-29-2005, 04:12 AM
ite im trying to build an spl steup for my 92 mustang 5.0 hatch

i will have 2 modded 1501D's powering a 15" MT

what kinda alternator will i need?

what would be the perfect box design

if i had a really good box what kinda db's could i hit approx

theres a celica with a jugg 15" and i really want to beat his *** this year because he posted the highest db's last year

Move over Scottie J. We've got a record breaker here.

ibanender
01-29-2005, 10:18 AM
I'm gonna offer up 2 things here, and people are gonna argue it, and reply to it, and I wont care because I'll never check this thread again. So, before you make yourself look like a jackass to others, remember that I wont see it, or care.

My post count isn't high on here, I must know nothing....... but wait, I have a high post count on another forum, I must be smart there! Unfortunately, post count doesn't matter. I could know absolutely nothing and have a 1000 post count by asking 1000 questions and not learning anything. Or, I could sit in off topic and post pictures of my *** crack and a retarded monkey 1000 times. Even if you've only been on a forum for 3 days and have 4 posts you should never discount the knowledge of the person. However, with a question like was asked, you should expect an answer like was given by Hoss because if you'd been on other forums, or even looked at this one for more than the day before you registered, you'd know what answers you were gonna get. It's an incredibly general question that has no answer and gets asked frequently. If nobody could say for the other 2 dozen cars that started that topic, they wont know yours either.

It's a 92 Mustang, the box cant be very tall to be under the side glass, or fit under where the hatch closes. The only way you can do anything with that system in that car that will be not a total waste of money is by doing a wall. Plain and simple, if you only have 4 cu. ft. to work with, you aren't gonna get real far with a 15 of that caliber setup correctly and think about being musical. You might be able to get away with it for a 1 note wonder, but it would sound horrid for music. So, my suggestion would be to do a wall, or go to smaller sub(s) like a single 12 or maybe two 10's.

NDMstang65
01-29-2005, 10:23 AM
I know nothing...Honestly...

+1 ;)

BTW - getting a 150 on a new TL..in a mustang...in a "hatch" if you want to call it that...

Is going to take FAR more then a 'ported box'

Nikuk
01-29-2005, 12:24 PM
I know nothing...Honestly...

+1 ;)

BTW - getting a 150 on a new TL..in a mustang...in a "hatch" if you want to call it that...

Is going to take FAR more then a 'ported box'

^^ He know's nothing ;)

BC_BIGBUDZ420
01-29-2005, 04:22 PM
thanks for the replies and i know its a stupid question how many db's ect ect

but now i know how unlikely it will be for me to reach my goal :D

ite i took some pics of what kinda space i got to work with

i plan on taking out the back seats and all the other crap out of the back

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v99/BC_BIGBUDZ/IM001486.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v99/BC_BIGBUDZ/IM001485.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v99/BC_BIGBUDZ/IM001483.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v99/BC_BIGBUDZ/IM001484.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v99/BC_BIGBUDZ/IM001482.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v99/BC_BIGBUDZ/IM001481.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v99/BC_BIGBUDZ/IM001480.jpg

ite without the back seats inthe car i should have approx 34" from the bottom of the floor behind the front seats to the roof

i have approx 63" from the tail lights to the back seats

and approx 37" from one side to the other

i think once i take out the back seats and all that other crap i might have a decent ammount of space

so now that ive posted the dimensions i have to work with what size of box would i be able to fit in there

sorry for all these noob questions but this is my first try at building an spl setup

thanks

ngsm13
01-29-2005, 04:33 PM
Well, honestly...first thing that needs to known...

What Sanctioning body do you want to compete in? (dBDrag, MECA, etc...i take it dBDrag since ur in canada!)
What class would you like to compete in? (If you don't know, choose @ www.termpro.com )

Also, after you do that...a good first step is:
Buy a TL mic
Buy A LOT of MDF
Have time to test and rebuild w/ the above!

NG

BC_BIGBUDZ420
01-29-2005, 04:41 PM
im not sure what sanctioning body i would compete in

im guessing you would know more about that

as far as what class im guessing 1-2, if that is a class :)

i think around here the shops use the older mics

i would be more into local competitions than anything

would i need 1" mdf or would 3/4" be ok

where could i buy a tl mic

ngsm13
01-29-2005, 05:04 PM
Go to www.termpro.com

Click on dBdrag Racing...read up! As much as you can! The TermLab sensor can be had on the site too!

peace

NG

BC_BIGBUDZ420
01-29-2005, 08:00 PM
i looked at the site but im still confused what class id be in

does it go by how many subs you got or how much power your runnin

my friend was saying that it might be loudest facing the window

or would building a wall b better

also is there a class for 1 sub or is it only 1-2

ngsm13
01-29-2005, 08:11 PM
There's a class matrix there...

It's like a spreadsheet, that you look at and it tells you what you can and can't have. And dBDrag does their classes by number of woofers, and number of amplifiers. You can have as much power as you want as long as you follow the correct number of amplifiers...when i have more time...i might try to break it down for you...all the classes. But i gtg now, hit me up sometime if you want aim: ngbd13

NG

80INCHES
01-30-2005, 01:18 AM
ok i would like to make a point....i thought spl is made by making the loudess possible sound causing pressure....so naturally the smaller the car the better....if u try to make huge amounts of pressure in a truck...u have to have a ton of power to move the speakers.....this is why the boxes are so close to the front of the car/truck...but if u have a small car already....when u build a box close to the front of the car it should technically be louder....so take this mans mustang...it kind of small....so he should make a decent amount of pressure..last time i check thats basicly what spl is...sound PRESSURE level.

audiolife
01-30-2005, 03:53 AM
yuh but the distance between the front of the woofers and the front of the car/truck should be 1/4 waves or half waves of the tuning of the box

hoss
01-30-2005, 02:26 PM
ok i would like to make a point....i thought spl is made by making the loudess possible sound causing pressure....so naturally the smaller the car the better....if u try to make huge amounts of pressure in a truck...u have to have a ton of power to move the speakers.....this is why the boxes are so close to the front of the car/truck...but if u have a small car already....when u build a box close to the front of the car it should technically be louder....so take this mans mustang...it kind of small....so he should make a decent amount of pressure..last time i check thats basicly what spl is...sound PRESSURE level.

youve also got to consider what class you want to be in, how many woofers, type of box... a box closer to the front of the car isnt neccisarily going to be louder, as audiolife said 1/4 wave theory is pretty well used in SPL.

also, more power does not get you louder. it can add to your score, but the solution to getting louder is not to get more power. it is all in box design.

also, you have to consider what mic you are going to be on. some mics measure pressure, some mics measure velocity. and youre box design can influence these aspects.

bigbassman
01-30-2005, 08:57 PM
I don't know anything either...

but a mustang, is right beside a probe.. as the worst freaking SPL vehicle in the world...

I think ford has a pattern....

you're gonna have to wall it, or enjoy 2nd place behind that celica... I'm sorry

Loyd L.

DBfan187
01-30-2005, 09:42 PM
I don't know anything either...

but a mustang, is right beside a probe.. as the worst freaking SPL vehicle in the world...

I think ford has a pattern....

you're gonna have to wall it, or enjoy 2nd place behind that celica... I'm sorry

Loyd L.

+1 for every other auto man.! hahahahahaha

cobra65427289
01-31-2005, 12:12 AM
http://www.bcae1.com/ is a good site with everything the average enthusiast could want to see. lots of answers here. even a port calculator in there too.

al

jimmyslide
01-31-2005, 12:31 AM
HEY mustangs are not that bad!! Well, ok they are, but meh...what you gonna do. Buy a new car, perhaps...or just put the loudest **** thing in the one I have.

150 ain't gonna happen in a mustang unless you have some type of miracle up your sleeve.

BC_BIGBUDZ420
01-31-2005, 01:39 AM
why did i have to buy a ford :(

i have a 92 integra 4 door but i doubt that would be any better

myber ill just sell my system untill i can buy a better car

jimmyslide
01-31-2005, 02:06 AM
I'll take the car off your hands!!! I could always use another one...that would make it 3!

ttsquared100
02-10-2005, 09:11 PM
build the biggest **** port ever...get 150 easy

InhumanAcura
02-10-2005, 10:03 PM
build the biggest **** port ever...get 150 easy

I dont think 150 and easy should be in the same statment..

BC_BIGBUDZ420
02-10-2005, 10:27 PM
thanks for the help everyone but I sold all the eqipmnet i had planned to reach 150 with

now im going to try and be the first person to do 160 db with funky pups

pics coming soon :)

BooLeaN
02-14-2005, 11:28 AM
LOL good luck with the funky pups!

1995 Neon 2 door
2 Kicker L7 10's
1 E Audio 3000D
1/0 Gauge wire
145.5 on the New TL