PDA

View Full Version : High Pass Filter

DMBolt8
01-23-2005, 03:36 PM
I have 4 5.25 inch alpine speakers and an alpine 4 channel amplifier powering them and i was fooling around earlier and turned on the high pass filter for the fron speakers and think it sounds much better(clear and the imaging is better or something) for some reason and i dont even have a subwoofer yet. Why is this and is it safe to do this? I always thought having it off would sound better.

desi_daru
01-23-2005, 07:18 PM
oh ya high pass i actually recommend, just for peace of mind, i figure u can send just that lil bit of extra power to them and they will b play cleaner due to the fact that ur not sending them all those low azz notes 80hz or 120hz or watever sounds good 2 u, i cant remember wat one i went wif 80/120 but i remember 1 sounded a lil better so i used that 1 :D

squeak9798
01-23-2005, 10:17 PM
The speaker will play clearer because with the highpass filter turned on, you are no longer asking the speaker to play frequencies that it can not (the lower frequencies). Not to mention, without a highpass filter, you run a great risk of blowing them due to the low frequency content.