PDA

View Full Version : Which product is the right product

deewee456
01-22-2005, 12:00 PM
I recently noticed how many cold air intakes and exhaust kits you can get off ebay, but a lot of them do not have a name brand. Are these products comparable or as good as the name brand parts, or should a person simply stick to the brands they trust?

kevin85193
01-22-2005, 12:30 PM
I recently noticed how many cold air intakes and exhaust kits you can get off ebay, but a lot of them do not have a name brand. Are these products comparable or as good as the name brand parts, or should a person simply stick to the brands they trust?

they're good, just don't use the filter they give you. buy a K&N filter and you're set :). They just won't be legal..no carb sticker

Expy2000
01-22-2005, 12:36 PM
I would get a cold air intake but I wouldnt buy a no name exhaust kit, there wouldnt be anyway to hear what it sounds like on your car. Could sound ******, or like a fart can..

swaptrex
01-22-2005, 05:32 PM
remeber the sang "you get what you pay for"

`pr0digy
01-22-2005, 07:55 PM
remeber the sang "you get what you pay for"

And remember that doesn't apply at all here. Most of the "cold air intakes" could be done with some dryer vent hose and a decent cone filter.

theCybe
01-23-2005, 08:59 AM
Intake = overrated; If you're after your first mod and actually want it to make a difference, either get chipped [GIAC] or grab an exhaust.

EuroTuner did some Intake Comparisons; And when it came down to it, for my application anyway, the top performing intake's improvement over the stock airbox was pretty much -

worthless. : )

Just get a new filter.

yz_gt69
01-25-2005, 02:23 AM
maybe he was refering to the exhausts??

ttsquared100
01-25-2005, 01:25 PM
this is a car audio forum not a car perfomance...there is a forum for everything go find one about your car...and post about performance there by the way what kinda car do you have

ttsquared100
01-25-2005, 01:26 PM
just get alot of stickers and vynal and neons and your car will be fast...lol

analogkid
01-25-2005, 03:44 PM
k&n filters are a bad idea. they boost performance but they dont trap dirt particles as well as other brands. there was a study done on this. if you do any kind of off roading this goes double. http://home.usadatanet.net/~jbplock/ISO5011/SPICER.htm this is where i picked this info up from.

RetroVetro
01-26-2005, 09:50 AM
this is a car audio forum not a car perfomance...there is a forum for everything go find one about your car...and post about performance there by the way what kinda car do you have

Look up..."Car Performance and Forced Induction *NEW*" This is a subforum in this forum

yz_gt69
01-26-2005, 10:48 PM
k&n filters are a bad idea. they boost performance but they dont trap dirt particles as well as other brands. there was a study done on this. if you do any kind of off roading this goes double. http://home.usadatanet.net/~jbplock/ISO5011/SPICER.htm this is where i picked this info up from.

Pre-Filters are available... and frankly, not a bad idea based on your application.

swaptrex
01-26-2005, 11:01 PM
And remember that doesn't apply at all here. Most of the "cold air intakes" could be done with some dryer vent hose and a decent cone filter.
how doesn't that apply, that sang applies to everything. yeah dryer vent hose and a decent cone filter-great idea, try it and let us know what happens. :waycrazy:

yz_gt69
02-01-2005, 12:27 AM
a buddy of mine "blessed" his 87 tercel with a dryer hose intake... hmmm, ya come to think of it he WAS trying to destroy it.

ighettoboyi
02-06-2005, 01:56 PM
the reason you pay a lot for intake is fit and looks, it's that simple. as for exhaust, you pay a lot for sound and fitment, of course more importantly sound. cheap exhausts sound crappy, that's my experience. cheap intakes work fine

carguy83
02-06-2005, 03:11 PM
be careful with those ebay intake filters though. most of them have this mesh screen on the top of the filters, which won't filter worth a crap.

soundstreamer
02-07-2005, 10:13 PM
im running my stock 6cyl intake with a k&n until i find something better for my 350
http://server6.uploadit.org/files/nowayhoser-truck5.jpg

davesexplorer
02-07-2005, 10:23 PM
I've gotten 3 different intakes from various ebay sellers thus far....
-cavalier z24 2.4 5spd - exactly the same shape as AEM, all parts there, mounted, sounded and looked good. (Survived a car wreck that totalled the car, and is now on a friends z)
-focus zetec 2.0 - tubing, maf adaptor etc. all spot on, but had one wrong size of silicone coupler (from throttle body to intake) so I had to get one. Sounded, looked and held up good.
-explorer 4.0 V6 SOHC - tubing maf adaptor all spot on like focus kit. Shipped with a 5.0 V8 tube (no bend) but they gave me the right one right away. Had to buy a plastic PVC valve adaptor thing, to fit the hose to the tube. After all this though the intake sounds, looks and is holding up nicely!

just my .02 cents worth of experience.