PDA

View Full Version : jl xr 650 vs dls m6

ismelllikepoop
01-18-2005, 07:52 PM
how do these two components compare? I listened to some jl's in a guys m3, and they sounded pretty good. They sounded much smoother and easier to listen to and overall a lot better than my infinity kappas, but i keep hearing about dls's, but have no way to compare. The other issue I have is that it seems a lot harder to tell the diff between components on a wall, since i did listen to the jl's before didnt really care for them until i heard them in an actual car. Also is it worth it to buy speakers from the audio shop or just getting them online? The shop around here seems to not really like ppl bringing in stuff from the internet etc which is reasonable, and there isn't really anywhere else.

djdilliodon
01-18-2005, 08:14 PM
having heard both and using both i myself would get the ms6 set but u may have different taste than i do. If u got the jl's u already know how they sound so its not like u will be disapointed. For jl if u buy it via the net u get no warranty u buy it local u get the warranty. Really which is more important to u the warranty or saving some cash.

ismelllikepoop
01-18-2005, 08:28 PM
how would you describe the difference in sound? does anyone really need the warranty for speakers? I listen to it decently loud, but not anything crazy

djdilliodon
01-18-2005, 08:41 PM
i like the dls set better all around from tweeters to mids. More natural sound, better midbass and the tweeters walk on the jl tweets. My xr's i use to run with a us amps 400x 100x2 rated and the tweets would cut out on me at high volume :( use to **** me off so much i took the sets out after about 1-2 weeks of having them lol. Also blew a mid as well and took forever to get another one. The jl's where decent for what i paid for them though. To me warranty is important cause in car audio anything can happen.

ismelllikepoop
01-18-2005, 08:56 PM
do either need strong amps? I have an old infinity 54a kappa with 50wx4, which seems plenty fine for the kappas i have, but i dont know how much power these speakers need, and the guy at the shop was saying they will do better with something stronger. the thing is the place wont really budge with the price, 380 for the jl's which seems pretty steep. i mean new ones cost 240 online, and tplaya has the dls's for 220. I understand the shops POV since im buying all of this stuff and they are only getting install fees (which i dont get why they wouldnt just discount it some, they still would make a good profit). anyways thanks for the help

ismelllikepoop
01-18-2005, 08:58 PM
oh yea, im going to run these components w/o a sub. I really like the way the subs sound, but there doesnt seem to be a discrete way to place it in an suv (mercedes ml) without it costing too much.

Unreal
01-19-2005, 12:50 AM
DLS or even CDT CFEFis blow the XRs away. I've listened to both, in the same install, and there is no comparison.

ismelllikepoop
01-19-2005, 10:19 PM
thanks for the replies. i should have asked this before, but for comparison's sake, how do the jl's etc compare to the kappas? I have the kappas in right now, which is the first set of speakers i ever bought, and just want to know what kind of differences it would make, or would i be better off dynamatting it and retry the install.

iceteebone
01-19-2005, 10:34 PM
thanks for the replies. i should have asked this before, but for comparison's sake, how do the jl's etc compare to the kappas? I have the kappas in right now, which is the first set of speakers i ever bought, and just want to know what kind of differences it would make, or would i be better off dynamatting it and retry the install.

you definately do some sound deadening in your doors to improve midbass. i noticed that infinity's tweeters are a little bright for my liking. dls was one of the best sounding components i have listened to. dls should be a nice improvement over those infinitys but do deaden your door first.

ismelllikepoop
01-22-2005, 10:54 AM
if i get new speakers, is it as simple as swapping them out, or is it a lot more complicated than that?

Unreal
01-22-2005, 11:06 AM
Depends on the car. If you already have kappas in there, then it should be simple.

I've ran kappas, CDTS, DLS, and my good friend had XRs.

Kappas are by far the worst sounding. I put them in my moms truck and she likes them, but she is a 55 year old lady that listens to 60s crap.

For the under $300 the CDTs can't be beat. For $300 up, then start looking at the upper CDTs and DLS. Just aim/email djdillidon for prices and order some nice stuff up. I've spent $1600 with him in the past 6 months, so I'll vouch that he is a good guy.

djdilliodon
01-22-2005, 01:50 PM
Depends on the car. If you already have kappas in there, then it should be simple.

I've ran kappas, CDTS, DLS, and my good friend had XRs.

Kappas are by far the worst sounding. I put them in my moms truck and she likes them, but she is a 55 year old lady that listens to 60s crap.

For the under $300 the CDTs can't be beat. For $300 up, then start looking at the upper CDTs and DLS. Just aim/email djdillidon for prices and order some nice stuff up. I've spent $1600 with him in the past 6 months, so I'll vouch that he is a good guy.

why is it that no one ever spells my name right :bawling: