PDA

View Full Version : Guy at Tweeter said Polk MMC-690 or SL-95

Intercooler
01-14-2005, 01:04 PM
Will give the best bass out of a 6x9. He said the Polk's thump a little better. I called Boston and they said the SL's have the highest excursion. Anyone have info on these?

Redford
01-14-2005, 03:00 PM
That's a tough question... I really like the sound of the Polks but the Bostons are probably pretty good too. I'd say listen to them both.

Intercooler
01-14-2005, 03:28 PM
I plan on it since I can actually go there and they have them both. He said it wouldn't be the same though since my Civic's trunk is like one huge box. I am sure it will sound different. Wish I could listen to these next to Tangbands 6x9 subs.

squeak9798
01-14-2005, 03:45 PM
I'm partial to boston.....so that's what I'd go for.

And I seriously doubt that a Civic's trunk is small enough to act as a "box" for the 6x9's. They'd be setup in an infinite baffle style configuration.

Old Skool
01-14-2005, 10:04 PM
I just had a set of SL80's installed in my rear doors. I will tell you they are some sweet speakers! I would go with a plate if I were you - round speakers will give you better sound. IMO Good luck...

brandontw
01-14-2005, 10:11 PM
polks are horrible, just horrible! they arent bad enough to be crazy cheap but they arent good enough to keep up with theyre price range, they lack clarity, and smoothness, even if they do bump more im sure it wopuldnt be worth the sq loss, boston makes great speaks though

Intercooler
01-15-2005, 12:44 AM
What's a plate and where do you get them? :help:

He also said the Civic door will only accept a 6" speaker and it can't be deep. Anyone know the exact dimensions needed to fit it without a bunch of custom work? **** this is a difficult vehicle!

audiolife
01-15-2005, 01:21 AM
<<< hates polk i dont even consider them in car audio. i had their best 5.25 component set in 93-94 weak as fook totally arse squared. then i went to soundstreams ss (which arent THAT great) and they totally kicked the crap outa the polks. i flipped phases and everything. just proof positive sound boards to car listening arent very close. i realize that 10 years can make a diff but nothing polk makes really makes me drool and i even used to sell them. lololol

Old Skool
01-15-2005, 06:20 PM
A Plate is just a mount for the speakers. Boston makes a 5X7 inch speaker (SL80) which has a 6" round woofer and a 1" tweeter mounted side by side. Heres a link....like I said, in my opinion, you will get better sound from a round driver than you will from an oval....

http://www.bostonacoustics.com/ca_product.asp?ProductID=264&CategoryID=14

Intercooler
01-15-2005, 09:56 PM
I went to Tweeter today and listened to the SL-95 and the Polk 6x9's and the SL-95 won going away. I also listened to a few Pioneers but the SL's sounded best. How come nobody mentions CDT or other brands when a 6x9 is dicussed? The guy at Tweeter said Focal makes a good 6x9 but they don't carry it.