PDA

View Full Version : Want to fiberglass just the front of the enclosure

bcarpenterfhl
01-14-2005, 12:33 AM
i wanted to fiberglass just the front of my enclosure, then carpet the rest. i was just wondering how much it would all cost. i wanted to paint it, so i guess i'll need body filler too.

also, i saw a guy on here who did this for his W7, but i forgot who. he has a sound domain page? does anyone know who this was?

Gauntlet
01-14-2005, 12:36 AM
That doesn't make any sense. You want to fiberglass the front, carpet it, and paint it?

DBfan187
01-14-2005, 12:44 AM
That doesn't make any sense. You want to fiberglass the front, carpet it, and paint it?

I think he wants to glass the front baffle and carpet the rest of the box?

bcarpenterfhl
01-14-2005, 12:44 AM
I think he wants to glass the front baffle and carpet the rest of the box?
exactly, sorry for the lack of clarity

BiaBia
01-14-2005, 12:45 AM
Wow that might look gay :(

bcarpenterfhl
01-14-2005, 12:49 AM
it wont, the one i saw for the w7 looks bad ***. it's also going in a VW bug, so gayness really isnt an issue. Doesnt really get any gayer than that, besides a mazda miata of course.
speaking of gay nice sig.

BiaBia
01-14-2005, 01:38 AM
No, you're gay

joeldirt
01-14-2005, 05:45 AM
Wow that might look gay :(

I think it would look tight. you havent really said a single inteligent thing this entire thread, but its cool. any way in reply of this thread I think if you had access to a pocket hole jig you could make that look really smooth. If you make your front baffle square with the box, you could then mount your ring, stretch the fabric over it, fiber glass it, sand and body fill it, and then paint it..... mean while pocket holes drilled arround the perimeter of the fornt of the box where the baffle mounts, you could then mount the baffle with the glue and screws and carpet the rest of the box. I am sure that would turn out really sharp and extreamly clean. are you porting it or leaving it seled? (pocket hole jigs are about 25 bucks. handy tool if you build boxes often.) or you could just spend 1200 bucks and get a pneumatic stand one. I never thought about trying fiberglas and carpet all in the same aplication, but if I were to try it, thats how I would go about it. the fiberglass would probably be built up high enough so that when you mount the baffle, it would have a small lip which would meet flush wiht the carpet. maybe I only make sense in my own head. I dont know.

joeldirt
01-14-2005, 05:53 AM
oh yeah I wasnt trying to tell you how to do it, I was just brainstorming I guess. How did you plan on doing it?

bcarpenterfhl
01-14-2005, 11:10 AM
its going to be ported. i'd make the box first, as if i werent glassing. then i'd stack 3-4 MDF rings on top of one another. I would cut 3/4 wooden dowels in half (making a semi circle) and place them around the edge of the box and port for so there arent really any flat spots when i put on the fleece. Then i'd glass, bodyfill, prime, and spray paint (do i need a clear coat after?), then carpet the rest of the box. how does that sound?

oh yea, price range for the resin, fiberglass, and bodyfiller?

jtomsic
01-14-2005, 11:13 AM
limitkid7, had something like this but it was done with fermica(sp?)

chevy6998
01-14-2005, 03:22 PM
its going to be ported. i'd make the box first, as if i werent glassing. then i'd stack 3-4 MDF rings on top of one another. I would cut 3/4 wooden dowels in half (making a semi circle) and place them around the edge of the box and port for so there arent really any flat spots when i put on the fleece. Then i'd glass, bodyfill, prime, and spray paint (do i need a clear coat after?), then carpet the rest of the box. how does that sound?

oh yea, price range for the resin, fiberglass, and bodyfiller?
the resin, half gal, 15$
body filler, quart size, 8$
fiberglass facric, 10$
paint, 10$
sand paper, 10$

req
01-14-2005, 04:15 PM
how about this. build the box without a baffle. figure you will gain a few tenths of a cube when you glass, so lets say you build a 1.0 cubic foot box with no baffle. you will want your port made for ~1.2 cubes. so figure that in when you make the port... also - extend the port PAST the front of the box so that its flush with the baffle for the sub... and then round the edges of the box there too (look on the corners of the port and stuff in the picture). heres a picture of what i mean-

http://www.asterixband.com/andy/pictures/glassed-box.gif

i think that has potential to look really sharp, specailly with a paintjob. and you can even do the same thing on the top, but keep the top piece of MDF on there, and make a removeable amprack - maybe cut the same top piece as the box from 1\2" MDF, and make an amp rack up there, and just set it on top of the box?

this is similar to what im going to be doing with my tempest.

req
01-14-2005, 07:13 PM
noone likes?

Acidburn
01-14-2005, 07:14 PM
i like

jtomsic
01-14-2005, 08:31 PM
looks pretty good req

bcarpenterfhl
01-14-2005, 09:24 PM
i was just going to make a box like normal. then stack and seal mdf rings, so the actual baffle would be mdf.

joeldirt
01-14-2005, 11:09 PM
i was just going to make a box like normal. then stack and seal mdf rings, so the actual baffle would be mdf.

I did one that way, looks good with the subs flush mount and stuff. but I like to use this stretchy nylon material that I get off ebay. its thick and holds resin really well. I find it easiest to make a smooth outer shell with the material and fiberglass it from the inside you dont have to worry aobut how it looks from the inside, and it leaves the oute side smooth. just a little sanding some body filler for tiny impressions int eh material, if the resin didnt coat it enough, and its strong and sturdy as hell. But the way you are talking about doing it will be alot cheaper because you use less fiberglass material since it isnt requireing strngth. you get the strength from the MDF baffle. THe fiberglass is just for shape. I was talking about the other way because it leaves a better smoother surface for a nice clean paint job. Both ways work fine acomplish the same goal I guess.

bcarpenterfhl
01-15-2005, 02:21 AM
how many layers would you guys reccomend for what i'm doing?

joeldirt
01-15-2005, 02:58 AM
if you are doing it with sealed and stacked rings on a flat mdf baffle, you would really only need two layers over your base material... you said you were using that fleece material right? Are you using mat or cloth fiberglass?

req
01-15-2005, 12:34 PM
to be honest, if you are doing a sealed box with it over the front, you shouldnt need any fiberglass dude. there is no stress on the panel, its strictly a beauty panel to make the front look good.

id suggest just soaking the HELL out of the fleece and filling it with some bodyfiller. it will be quite strong enough for a beauty panel. you souldnt need any fiberglass.

jellyfish420
01-15-2005, 01:24 PM
that looks good req...but i wanna see the pic that he was origanaly talking about.

bcarpenterfhl
01-15-2005, 01:53 PM
to be honest, if you are doing a sealed box with it over the front, you shouldnt need any fiberglass dude. there is no stress on the panel, its strictly a beauty panel to make the front look good.

id suggest just soaking the HELL out of the fleece and filling it with some bodyfiller. it will be quite strong enough for a beauty panel. you souldnt need any fiberglass.

alright ill take your word for it. so when i soak it, do i need to let it dry, then do another layer, or all at once? and you're sure it'll be strong enough?

oh yea...one more thing, i dont have a dremil, and dont want to buy one. any alternatives? would a jigsaw work?

req
01-17-2005, 07:49 AM
jigsaw works fine. just be careful and wear long sleeves, a mask, and gogles. you DONT want to breath that dust or get it on your skin.

it is NOT plesant.

NeverEnuffBass
01-17-2005, 11:23 AM
Was it the W7 box that I built? Click the link to my Sounddomain page. Its on there somewhere.

bcarpenterfhl
01-17-2005, 12:36 PM
yea thats it. thats exactly what i want to build for a single 10". did you just build the box first, and then make a fiberglass "beauty" panel? if so, do you think you could post/pm me the steps? thanks.

req
01-17-2005, 04:21 PM
same steps as doing a regular fiberglas box. just make a bunch of 1" thick rings and stack them (nice and strong)

then stretch fleece.

easy as pie :p:

bcarpenterfhl
01-17-2005, 05:20 PM
i'm worried about the hardener mixture, i'm totally foreign to all this. does it give good directions on the container?

Damaso87
01-17-2005, 07:36 PM
It should give pretty detailed instructions. Its all just how fast you want it to dry...more htan the recommended amount = faster curing, less = slower curing. You cant overdo the hardener, however too much will cause the mixture to harden before you get to fiberglass with it.

Say i wanted to fiberglass sides for my box, so itll look custom made for my trunk, but still want to keep the original MDF center...would i just:

Create FG molds for each side
(fill them with sand and figure out their volume)
position them in place relative the box
cut the end of the box off
secure the molds with dowels
stretch the felt onto the box from the FG molds
coat the felt with resin, then proceed to fiberglass
let the FG dry, then just cover it all with carpet
Fin.

Correct me if im wrong

Gauntlet
01-17-2005, 07:46 PM
You can overdo the hardener, if you use too much it will start to smoke and coagulate within minutes, just use the recommended amount. Also check for the recommended temperature, if it's colder than that use a little more hardener, if it's hotter than that use a little less.

NeverEnuffBass
01-17-2005, 10:23 PM
I built the box exactly to JL's spec, and then used wooden dowels to hold the MDF ring just a tiny bit out from the box so it had just a small amount of curve to it and then stretched a tee shirt over it. staple that down it helps if you rabet the edges, makes a lot less work in the end. Then just follow the steps about fiberglassing from one of the tutorials on here. We used a tee shirt because the box was small but a lot of people use fleece for bigger boxes, PM me if you have any more questions.

B.J. Curcio

Rome85CT
01-17-2005, 10:57 PM
yo i also made this box with NEVRENUFFBASS altho he was an ******* and failed to mention it, but at any rate dont forget to round the edge of the ring because we forgot to and it looked like ****, just assemble the rings as you would found in any fiberglassing tutorial, good luck

if you need any help hit up either me or BJ

-JD

subboxmaker
01-18-2005, 12:48 AM
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/8/web/488000-488999/488510_23_full.jpg
Is that sort of what you want to do? Me and my cousin have been designing and selling these for awhile. They have been selling pretty good in california where we sell them to a car audio shop.

Heres some more pics of our boxes for the hell of it
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/8/web/488000-488999/488510_24.jpg

bcarpenterfhl
01-18-2005, 12:54 AM
yo i also made this box with NEVRENUFFBASS altho he was an ******* and failed to mention it, but at any rate dont forget to round the edge of the ring because we forgot to and it looked like ****, just assemble the rings as you would found in any fiberglassing tutorial, good luck

if you need any help hit up either me or BJ

-JD

which edge of the ring, the inside or outside?

subboxmaker
01-18-2005, 02:19 PM
you want to round the outside of the rings so the carpet flows over them and is round. It just depends on how much of an angle the ring is to the box. Sometimes you can get away without rounding them but it's a good idea to just go ahead and round them over.

req
01-18-2005, 04:15 PM
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/8/web/488000-488999/488510_23_full.jpg
Is that sort of what you want to do? Me and my cousin have been designing and selling these for awhile. They have been selling pretty good in california where we sell them to a car audio shop.

Heres some more pics of our boxes for the hell of it
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/8/web/488000-488999/488510_24.jpg

very nice looking boxes, but terrible webpage.

ever played with porting on one of those boxes?

subboxmaker
01-18-2005, 07:07 PM
Thanks, as for the webpage it's just easy to upload them on cardomain and haven't changed to anything else and our website won't be up until the summer. I have been playing around with ports on one of my boxes and put a 3 inch 'precision port' in one of my singles. During the summer when me and my cousin have some more time to work on them we will be designing some kind of slot ported boxes. If anyone on this site is interested in a dual 12" box we have 3 left. Just let me know

Rome85CT
01-20-2005, 11:15 AM
which edge of the ring, the inside or outside?

the outside of the ring you want rounded over because if you dont the glass wont flow with the curve of the glass