PDA

View Full Version : Retiring Ported Box

bcarpenterfhl
01-13-2005, 11:30 AM
after a couple months of ported enclosure use, i've decided that the transition from sealed to ported was pointless. The SQ in a sealed box was only slightly better, but the slight difference is enough to make me switch. My subs were as loud as i would ever want them in the sealed. Also, it takes up about 30-40% less space. the ported box was a lot louder, but i dont like the times when you can only hear bass and not the rest of the music. the only reasons to go ported IMO is if you're slightly underpowering your driver or you like a higher bass to music ratio. just my 2 cents.

req
01-13-2005, 12:01 PM
why not amp your speakers and turn your bassboost down?

JimJ
01-13-2005, 12:09 PM
I run ported mainly to keep the box size reasonable (although i really don't need to, don't ask me why :)) for the amount of output...i don't run it flat out all the time, probably only 3/4th's of its capabilities for DD use, but I like knowing I have that extra 25% to get *really* loud if called upon.

Just because you have the output doesn't mean you need to use it - all the time ;)

tRiGgEr
01-13-2005, 12:11 PM
I dont know about you but my ported box is pretty darn close to the SQ of my sealed. But it is almost 2 times louder by ear.

JimJ
01-13-2005, 12:19 PM
Who knows...sealed installs can get pretty loud, too...a buddy of mine runs three JL 10W0's in his Subaru wagon off 500 watts, and that gets *loud* :)

all in the install...

Nikuk
01-13-2005, 12:22 PM
yah... I know of a Geo that runs sealed in the dBDrag WF's... ;)

DFW40
01-13-2005, 02:04 PM
I have switched boxes often and will probably end up with a sealed. The extra output from the ported 3-5 dbs is great when I really want it to pound but I do not do this often because I do not compete nor do I want to lose my hearing. For me the difference in output is not really worth the loss of trunk space and possible hearing. If I were 18 years old I would always go ported. 1200 watts on a 12 inch sub within a small car is plenty loud sealed.
I'm old

bcarpenterfhl
01-17-2005, 03:42 PM
alright i switched back, and like expected, the sound quality was a lot better, but the spl was a decreased substantially. i think i made up for it though just by turning the gains up a bit.