PDA

View Full Version : Omg The New Eclipse Decks.... Can You Say Sony Xplode?

desertheat
01-13-2005, 12:09 AM
http://forum.sounddomain.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=014681

:handclap:

Congrats eclipse, you just entered the realm of the retarded. Hope you enjoy your all your buddies that I will never consider owning!

Randy Savage
01-13-2005, 12:11 AM
**** those are fugly.

Here's the Alpine 9855

http://i.timeinc.net/popsci/images/goods/goods0205alpine_730x238.jpg

Randy Savage
01-13-2005, 12:11 AM
Eclipse lost Tweeter too, ut oh...

DBfan187
01-13-2005, 12:14 AM
I'm glad I own a CD3434, but the new ones look like crap - except the indash screens.

Acidburn
01-13-2005, 12:15 AM
ew, so icky
whats wrong with them

desertheat
01-13-2005, 12:16 AM
That is the most sickening thing I have seen to date. Going to make decks like the 8443 a collectors item in SHORT order. Those freakin decks are NASTY! Also I saw the alpine in the 2005 alpine deck post :) Thank my stars that alpine is still classy! I would buy a freakin kenwood or top of the line JVC before I would buy one of those new eclipse decks. Eclipse is making sony look good now!

bri487
01-13-2005, 12:39 AM
i have lost all respect for eclipse. for the past five years i think i have had close to ten eclipses. they have never been big on appeal and the last two years looked good, but the new ones look kinda cheap to me.

JoseMCeee
01-13-2005, 12:47 AM
so they are fugly because they have color now? I personally like the old ones better but i dont think the new ones are that bad.

VoTran24
01-13-2005, 12:53 AM
they dont look that bad....i bet they look better in person....all that matters is performance though right?

Dustin19
01-13-2005, 01:06 AM
Can we say eeewwww.

desertheat
01-13-2005, 11:37 AM
they dont look that bad....i bet they look better in person....all that matters is performance though right?

What I look for in a deck...

#1 performance
#2 apperance
#3 build quality

By the looks of those new decks they just dropped right off my scope of ever owning an eclipse.

3.5Max6spd
01-13-2005, 01:28 PM
not feeling the single dins from the pics, but 5v doubledin navi w/ built in sirius might have to be a consideration:)

But i did notice the expanded the line- before only one 5v deck available, now quite a few
the 8445/8455(only decks i'd look into anyways) dont look bad IMO

Again these a crappy pics, i'll rather see them in person- the flash used on the pics dont really let you see the texture of the knobs/controls(wether its a brushed metal or chrome)
and the pink lights a probably more dominantly red but just screwed up bty the flash

JLCivic
01-13-2005, 05:04 PM
I don't like the chrome ones, but I will withhold final judgment until seeing the line in person.

rogue
01-13-2005, 05:34 PM
I have been following that thread over at sound domain and I'm not sure I follow why these new decks are so ugly to everyone. Have you seen the Pioneers that everyones been using for so long? The new eclipses look quite similar to the Pioneers, yet I don't see anyone *****ing about them?

I'm a loyal Eclipse fan and have always loved their streamlined simple approach with quality builds as much as any of you, but I'm not quite sure why they are so ugly to all of you. Is it the blue LEDs? The chrome? The finish?

Everyone is *****ing, but not saying why. Is it a Forum ***** Boner? ;)

desertheat
01-13-2005, 05:57 PM
I do not like the chrome, the lighting, the cheap almost sticker like logo, the screen layout ect... Looks like a crappy built product now. Also I have seen the new pio's they are not 1/2 as bad as the new eclipse decks. The eclipse looks on par with a low end jvc now.

3.5Max6spd
01-13-2005, 06:03 PM
I have been following that thread over at sound domain and I'm not sure I follow why these new decks are so ugly to everyone. Have you seen the Pioneers that everyones been using for so long? The new eclipses look quite similar to the Pioneers, yet I don't see anyone *****ing about them?

I'm a loyal Eclipse fan and have always loved their streamlined simple approach with quality builds as much as any of you, but I'm not quite sure why they are so ugly to all of you. Is it the blue LEDs? The chrome? The finish?

Everyone is *****ing, but not saying why. Is it a Forum ***** Boner? ;)

Thats very true...not too different from some Pioneer models- I bet you one thing though, i bet they perform like a mutha****a.....and dont have dolphins swimming around on the display.....Pioneer has had the bling on for years

Some people are simply drama queens....I'll make an educated decision when I actually see the decks and HEAR them in person- the 5v and 8v series regardless of looks will put 95% of the other decks out there to shame regarding DSP , preouts and hardware......

electronicsgeek
01-13-2005, 06:23 PM
**** those are fugly.

Here's the Alpine 9855

http://i.timeinc.net/popsci/images/goods/goods0205alpine_730x238.jpg
idk what your talking about but that looks decently nice

jdavis37
01-13-2005, 07:30 PM
My 2 pennies worth.. the differences are always subjective, and what is important to one is not to another. That PC statement said, I also find the new Eclipses ( in pictures, single DIN units ) to be very yucky, for lack of better word. But then I prefer all black, simple, not flashy, etc. I don't much care for the Pioneer's either in terms of appearance. I prefer simple, like the Nak CD500, etc, and for me somewhat matching my dash is important. But, I will guess the new Eclipses, if they follow in the tradition of the 04 models, will sound great, offer many useful features esp for those who enjoy DSP aspects, and will be well built even if the photos make them appear cheesy. I find the Alpines such as the 9855 etc to be much better cosmetically though I doubt they offer the same level of SQ as does the Eclipses, though again that is subjective. Ok maybe that was a nickel's worth :) Goiod new sis the silver trend will not last forever, just as the black faces did not. If you liked the 04's but hate the 05's, time to get out there and snag one before it's too late, or wait and hope for a bargain :)

unrealii
01-13-2005, 09:44 PM
I like the clean look of my 8454...and I dont have an opinion on the new ones because I dont think the pics show enough detail. Although these new designs may not be everyone's cup of tea, I am sure that performancewise, they pick up from where the 04's left off and will be stellar. I've seen many posts all over the place that many buy eclipse for the performance and dont care about looks, so I dont know where all the hate is coming from. In the past it was either sq or dolphins...now you can have sq with dolphins...eclipse is just doing what any other business would do and go after that market open market.

just my $0.03

d cha p
01-14-2005, 03:32 AM
You guys are a bunch of drama queens. The pics were not working when I first saw this thread so all I had too go by was your reactions. You guys made me think that they were some god awful plastic covered brown turds... Now that I see them they are definitely not as bad looking as you guys said. In fact I think they look good.

formlua5150
01-14-2005, 05:55 AM
Still cant see the pics

newb
01-14-2005, 08:31 AM
me 2???

monte_carlo97
01-14-2005, 08:40 AM
pics did not work. It said bandwidth exceeded

3.5Max6spd
01-14-2005, 11:06 AM
Well Eclipse has ditched the 2.7v 3series line.,...5v/55ohm preouts are in their lowest offering-they came to play!! :veryexci:

desertheat
01-14-2005, 11:17 AM
That is all fine and dandy, but the new decks are nasty, eclipse had class once like with your 8443 max6spd.... I doubt you will be doing a trade in for a new unit even if it has more features because deep down inside you know they looks so nasty. Also if you think the new ones look good then you never looked at last years models! They went from pure class and function to pure ghetto cheese and function.

rogue
01-14-2005, 01:11 PM
That is all fine and dandy, but the new decks are nasty, eclipse had class once like with your 8443 max6spd.... I doubt you will be doing a trade in for a new unit even if it has more features because deep down inside you know they looks so nasty. Also if you think the new ones look good then you never looked at last years models! They went from pure class and function to pure ghetto cheese and function.

You must have taken drama in highschool. :thumbsup:

Eclipse 8443:
http://www.jkcaraudio.co.kr/product/eclipse/CD8443.jpg

2005 Eclipse 8445
http://www.roguemotoring.com/eclipse.jpg

:imdama: Go find something else to ***** about. They look remarkably similar, one has a shinier finish.

NEXT
01-14-2005, 01:19 PM
I agree, if those had Alpine on them or Tru for some other forums people would be whackin off to those pics.... :bowdown:

desertheat
01-14-2005, 01:33 PM
If they were alpine I would think they looked like ******* and alpine would have gone down hill to make a deck like that. Hell I hate pioneer and the new pio stuff looks awsome compared to eclipse. And how you can compare them is beyond me, are you friggen blind??? And no JERK since you want to try to insult me over my opinion which makes you to be a total *** I did not take drama and have been out of high school for a long time. You might wanna have more posts and contribute to this club more before you insult members.

The only thing similar with those two decks is that they have two knobs and the same screen, nothing else. Eclipse has gone for the ugly "popular with high school kids and girls" plastic look. Freaking Joke.

And all alpine owners..?? Would you be happy if alpine went with a look like that? That retard above thinks that we would be whackin off to those pics if alpine made them. I for one would buy an older used alpine if they looked ****** like that or even a used eclipse like the 8443 you have pictured

NEXT
01-14-2005, 01:46 PM
Man your hardcore :rotflol:

I own an Alpine deck and love it but you guys just get carried away because something has a litte chrome or whatever.

Take a chill

desertheat
01-14-2005, 01:58 PM
I am not worried about it for I will probably not own an eclipse deck, I am just in shock such a reputable company as eclipse that puts out high class, high end decks would make decks that look like this. Just blows my mind.

rogue
01-14-2005, 02:04 PM
You might wanna have more posts and contribute to this club more before you insult members.

The only thing similar with those two decks is that they have two knobs and the same screen, nothing else. Eclipse has gone for the ugly "popular with high school kids and girls" plastic look. Freaking Joke.

LOOK OUT WORLD ITS A POST COUNT NAZI. :titanic: haha

Since when is being called dramatic an insult. Oh I get it, when someone receives critizism about something that may be true they get offended... Its a bit of chrome man, chill out. High School kids aren't going to be running out and buying the latest equipment because it is High End and through an authorized dealer, quite pricey.

When the new BMW 740 came out I hated it. It's grown on me, but I didn't go around being dramatic and preaching to all the world about my hatred. Its only an opinion. Take some meds. :laugh:

jtomsic
01-14-2005, 02:15 PM
i think its very similar to the old models, most new cars have chrome on the inside so it could match quite nicely, i would give them a try because you know it would perform nicely.

3.5Max6spd
01-14-2005, 02:37 PM
Eclipse has gone for the ugly "popular with high school kids and girls" plastic look. Freaking Joke.

you are basing that on what? those low quality blury pics? lol

I'd think a company's reputation goes down hill when their build quality and SQ goes down, I have yet to see that from Eclipse to make such an ASSumption- such as Alpine's Sq taking a dive since their older copper chassis/non clipping preout models, thats been quite a few years yet Alpine die hards keep buying from year to year the same ol' repackaged goods.......

They way i look at it....

Eclipse now offers-

low 55ohm 5v/8v decks, w/ 24bit DAC, DSP out the arse with the processing to back it while giving you a S/N ratio of 115db :thumbsup:

Can Alpine touch this?
Nope, but you like its looks better- how sweet......to each his own

desertheat
01-14-2005, 03:40 PM
Actually I have owned the older copper chassis alpines, the original 7909 and now a 9835. I kept my mind totally open to all other brands with my decision on the 9835 and actually I think the 8443 was a better choice overall and wish I would have snagged one. As for repackaged goods, that is not even close to true if you are comparing a copper chassis and a newer alpine like a 9835 or even comparing say a 9815 and a 9835, they are miles apart in features. That would be like comparing the first garbage eclipse decks to the 8443 and calling it "repackaged goods" Last I never said eclipse has gone down hill in the sq department for they now do looks like the same old repackaged goods in a new plastic fantastic can with super bling light effects and screens on the lower end units from last years models.

Also if you think your eclipse "sounds better than an alpine deck" I would love to see you prove your point becuase on paper things are different than in the real world. But I do totally respect eclipse for there commitment to a higher standard which for a few years alpine did do away with "especially with the 4v clipped preouts and sub preouts under 2v" I would put money on it if tested you would have no idea which deck was playing with no eq ect. Again as I stated, eclipse decks have been very nice as of late, it is just dissapointing that the choose to make such a drastic change in the looks which is very dissapointing for they do not look "high end" anymore.

As for eclipse there was only one way to go which was up in quality since the first units because they were freakin garbage and everyone knows it and it ****** working with them and selling them because they were garbage. I really though they were going in the right direction! Why are you trying to make this an alpine / eclipse war? If alpine did somthing stupid like this I am sure we all would be cursing alpine like when when we found out about the crappy 4v output problems just like I and many many others on here are really annoyed for such a leap to the cheap looking side of things. I respect both brands equally, but have lost allot of faith in eclipse for the new styles. Somthing must have played a key factor in such a design change for eclipse.. mabey a new investor, new engineer..? Who knows.. I do think the 8443 and the 8053 are bad assed units though. They had the looks dead on and looked better than any alpine I have seen as of late.

Arsonist
01-15-2005, 12:10 AM
OK, as a long-time Eclipse fan and owner, upon first glance I appear to be in the majority, thinking they should've zigged when they zagged concerning appearance. The pictures may be lacking, but the basic design is clear enough to envision it sitting in your dash or not. Ergonomics aren’t everything, but they definitely factor. Truth of the matter is, we've no one to blame but ourselves, excluding present company.

As a business, Eclipse wants nothing more than to build a respected product and increase their market share. Anyone who spends a few hours a month in their local shop knows where the trend in the HU market has been going for years, and it seems Eclipse finally felt they were on the wrong side of it. Hard-core fans can take heart in that they were one of the last few holdouts. Denon, Nak, McIntosh and the like hardly count since their combined market share is fractional and they live and die by their 120/220V gear.

Ultimately, public demand will speak loud and clear. If this new line collects dust on the shelves only to be discounted, you can **** well bet there’ll be changes for ’06.

forbidden
01-15-2005, 02:07 PM
All companies go through changes, Eclipse is addressing one that will gain them market share whilst still delivering what they are known for, sound quality and ease of use. A long time back there was pullout cd players from Alpine that were stellar tanks built in Japan. Next year the 7513,14,17,21 came out and they ****** a$$. They were made offshore and they too looked and felt cheap and cheesy by comparison. But the line persevered and they tweaked the "feel" of the units and developed the line into what it is today.

Im the case of Eclipse, they already have the internals and are working on tweaking the externals. Personally I will buy a cd player for what it can do for my system, how it sounds, it's capabilities and not for how it looks. Do dolphins or skateboarders or chrome with blue lighting have anything to do with sound? You might not like the looks but if that unit delivers better performance than what you have now it is something worth considering.

packerfan
01-15-2005, 04:20 PM
you are basing that on what? those low quality blury pics? lol

I'd think a company's reputation goes down hill when their build quality and SQ goes down, I have yet to see that from Eclipse to make such an ASSumption- such as Alpine's Sq taking a dive since their older copper chassis/non clipping preout models, thats been quite a few years yet Alpine die hards keep buying from year to year the same ol' repackaged goods.......

They way i look at it....

Eclipse now offers-

low 55ohm 5v/8v decks, w/ 24bit DAC, DSP out the arse with the processing to back it while giving you a S/N ratio of 115db :thumbsup:

Can Alpine touch this?
Nope, but you like its looks better- how sweet......to each his own

Ive been a hardcore eclipse fan sence ive gotten in the car audio scene (5442-3422-5423) and i always will be. These new decks dont look as good as i thought eclipse would have designed them to be but sence i try and keep an open mind ill give them a try. There 5v decks are going to start at MAP $179. Not bad when im sure there quality hasnt gone down.

packerfan
01-15-2005, 04:24 PM
. Personally I will buy a cd player for what it can do for my system, how it sounds, it's capabilities and not for how it looks. Do dolphins or skateboarders or chrome with blue lighting have anything to do with sound? You might not like the looks but if that unit delivers better performance than what you have now it is something worth considering.

Thats why alot of people DONT like the looks of these head units. They went from plain and simple, fully black decks that blended in with your dash. Now there coming out with the chromed out bling bling decks with all these lights and cheap *** bottons. Personaly, thats why i liked eclipse decks is because they were more stelth then any of the other decks i audiotioned. That and ESN kicks ***.:bowdown:

wErd
01-16-2005, 08:16 PM
can someone post pics? the ones in the link from the first post dont work no more.

Bring97
01-19-2005, 02:15 AM
ok first off those pics deff do not due any justice... i was at CES and made sure to stop by the Eclipse booth. i do agree with desert a bit on this one... they have gone down in looks a bit but there not ugly at all, like i said these pics dont serve any justice, they look much better and more clean in person. i personally dont care about looks at all andi plan on perchasing the 8445 when it comes out and might even trade in my 8443 for it, dont get me wronhg the 8443 looks better than the 8445 but still the 8445 has quite a few more otions. over all the looks havent gone down hill that much and the performance has gone up. so i think that it was a good trade off. and desert go check out the new eclipse decks when they come out in march and youll see what i mean.