PDA

View Full Version : Another recommendation thread(sorry!)

MikeS
01-12-2005, 02:40 AM
Hey guys,

I've got my selection somewhat limited and am looking for opinions either general or specific. I'm not a neighborhood shaker, I just want nice, clear sound. I'm more interested in SQ than SPL. These will go in my factory door spot in my 98 Rodeo.

Ok, here's the list. They're all around $100 and I listed them in more or less the order of how I'm leaning:

ALPINE SPS-171A 6.5"
Rockford Fosgate P162S 6.5"
Phoenix Gold ZR6.5
MB Quart DSE-216
Kicker K6.2
AUDIOBAHN DUB600C DUB Series 6.5"
MTX T6.6
Kenwood KFC-P605ie
Pioneer TS-C1653 6-1/2"

Thanks guys!

Mike

MikeS
01-12-2005, 08:16 PM
Ok, no takers...how about which ones you'd definitely NOT buy! :D

Thanks!

justsayk
01-12-2005, 09:17 PM
i have the mtx 8000 series components and they are so so. I think the 6000 series uses the same mids, which is the 8000 series weekest part. Out of those i would probably take the PG's. Don't really know why though. I just would.

MikeS
01-12-2005, 11:47 PM
Thanks. PG seems respected in general around the site. Anyone ever hear these? My gut feeling is that those, the Quart's, or the Alpine's are the best bet....

Strecker25
01-12-2005, 11:52 PM
i always liked the sound of quarts, cant comment on the exact model but they seem to be nice speakers. throw away the abahns as your going to get many people telling u to back away from them, and for good reason. alpines type-s never appealed to me either. You probably going to hear alot of cdt talk, i personally have never used them but i know there are dealers lurking around this forum that can get u quite the deal and they seem to get good reviews from most.

MikeS
01-13-2005, 12:01 AM
I know everyone likes the CDTs, but I think they're a little too expensive for me. Aren't they like $150? I'm hoping to get closer to $100. X-mas tapped me pretty hard this year!!

Mike

MikeS
01-13-2005, 02:43 PM
Hey,

I heard the Alpine Type S's last night and didn't dig them at all. The place had some Quart's that sounded really good, but they're out of my price range. I think I'm deciding between:

Phoenix Gold ZR6.5
MB Quart DSE-216

The PGs are $20 or so cheaper, but I'm guessing the Quarts are better and worth the $20. My question now is, if I get the Quart's are they going to sound remotely good with my HU's output? I think Quart's site says the power is 50-150 and I'd be giving them about 23 watts RMS. Is this a waste without getting an amp too? If that is the case, I could tri-way them with my mediocre sub amp (Bazooka El-2100). Is that a bad idea too?

If they'd sound reasonably good with my HU for awhile I could add an amp later. I was thinking of selling the Bazooka and getting a 4 channel Profile or Kenwood or something and running the fronts off 2 channels and the sub off of two. I might be able to fund this by selling the DEI mid-woofers and the bazooka amp.

Am I making any sense?!?!?

Thanks!

Mike

justsayk
01-13-2005, 04:15 PM
I would amp them if you can. I don't know anything about the amp you have now, but if it is possible to amp them, you should do it. They'll be much clearer, louder, and controlled with an amp.

MikeS
01-13-2005, 07:16 PM
The cheap fix would be to do the tri-way passive crossover after the amp thing. I did this in a car yeeeears ago and it seemed to work pretty well. To my 16 year old ears, anyways. I know it isn't the preferred method. But it is cheap! Anyone have an opinion on this?