PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth it to make kick panels?

hookdupexpo
01-10-2005, 01:32 PM
I am thinking about going for my first fiberglass projectand making some kickpanels for my 97 expedition. My question is, are the kickpanels mostly for looks, or do they really make the comps sound that much better? Also, how long should i expect to take if im making my kick panels?

Strecker25
01-10-2005, 01:37 PM
theyre worth it for sure as long as you take the time to get them aimed right. try tweeter both in and out of phase also. As far as how long it depends how strong u want them and how good u need the finish. Resin should dry and cure within an hour depending on how much hardner you have. overall id say go for it

Bigrick31
01-10-2005, 01:39 PM
YES kick pannels do have a purpose. if you do them right. they help make the speakers as far apart from eachother as possible. which in tern makes your speakers sound better so as one side dosnt sound more dominate than the other. as far as how long it will take it all depends on you skill level. since its your first time id suggest just taking your time and doing a really nice job. dont get impatient and rush it youll just end up messing them up. if you go into the box construction section there is a sticky on making kicks if you havnt already read it.

themainjam
01-10-2005, 01:40 PM
well i was working in between phases and its about 25 Degrees here so the fiberglass didnt cure in 24 hours..... it took me about 1 and 1/2 weeks. and dont forget to measure twice and fiberglass once...

but overall it increases power handling and response. if you have dynamatted the door and made sure its all sealed up then you may not notice a huge difference although you can "AIM" with kickpods for better imaging..... i thought something was wrong with the comps i installed until i realized i just never had any low midbass before. my wife even couldnt tell the sub was on because it all meshed so well....

hookdupexpo
01-10-2005, 04:18 PM
Alright, thanks, i think im gonna give it a go next weekend...where should i aim the mids and where should i aim the tweeters?

azbass
01-10-2005, 11:51 PM
aim at face :tomatofa: