PDA

View Full Version : Finished SE 12 BOX *PICS*

MisterE
01-09-2005, 12:50 AM
So I finally finished this box I was making for a girl from work. Its for an SE 12" running off a Hifonics Brutus 1000D.
Box Specs:
volume = 2.15 ft^3
Tuning = ~31 Hz

This is probably my 4th box and the painting on this one gave me TONS of trouble. Ive painted boxes before without trouble but on this one I used 100% spraypaint. Actually all the sides were easy but the front I kept running into problems and stupid mistakes. One thing you might notice is the front of the box has sort of a texture to it. I think the reason being is....I had everything on the front sprayed and the spraycan says to let cure 48 hours, and I had only let the black cure about 12 and the grey about 8, and the instant I sprayed the clear coat on, the entire front just wrinkled up in front of my eyes, like tiny micro-wrinkles in a weird pattern. At that point I almost killed myself because I had just spent 3 days prior re-doing the entire front because of stupid mistakes. Does anyone actually know for sure why it did that? Anyways long story short, she liked it and said u could barely notice, so I didnt have to re-do the front for a third time.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0703/icberg802/Box-outside-car.jpg
.The front is 3 color and patterned, and all the other sides are gloss black

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0703/icberg802/Box.jpg
here you can see how it isnt shiny and flat like it should be and is wrinkled

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0703/icberg802/Box-Closeup.jpg
closeup of the wrinkles and pattern

I hope you guys like it, she LOVES it.....oh and it bumps too :thumbsup:

Moe Lester
01-09-2005, 12:51 AM
looks really nice :D

edit: inhumanacura had a problem w/ clearcoat also. we had our box painted CHROME, it was shiny as hell. clearcoat went on, no more bling :( looks more grey now

Acidburn
01-09-2005, 01:03 AM
that looks really freaking nice
personally, i like the texture

jellyfish420
01-09-2005, 02:05 AM
NICE, and yeah i like the texture too. but next time you might wanna take a little sandpaper and knock the line off where the black and grey meet. other than that exceptional job!!!

jellyfish420
01-09-2005, 02:07 AM
oh ya...was the clearcoat and the color the same "kind" of spraypaint? most of the time two different kinds of spray paints react differently with each other, know what i''m saying?

MisterE
01-09-2005, 02:20 AM
thanks for all the comments, it took almost 3 weeks of off and on working

yeah they actually werent the same "kind". The first time around everything was the same, and for all the other sides, but then on the front the spraypaint was acting all f*cked up so the second time around I went with a different kind for the colors on top, but the same clearcoat as on all the other sides, that may have been it.

bcarpenterfhl
01-09-2005, 02:29 AM
awesome box man. i had a few questions.. where did you get that stencil? and could you possibly list the steps for painting a box like that? starting off with how/where you sanded it? i'm making a box for my gf and thought something like that would be cool.

jellyfish420
01-09-2005, 02:38 AM
i also second that...do you have a copy of that stencil you used. i gotta build my girl a new box pretty soon.

MisterE
01-09-2005, 02:39 AM
i came up with, drew, and cut the stencil myself

after putting the box together i took heavy grit sandpaper (40? or so) and sanded the sh*t out of everything, the pieces of flat mdf are fine, but you have to sand where your screw holes are (thats why countersinking is so important) and definitely all the places where two pieces of wood meet. you have to keep sanding those places until you cant feel a seam at all with your finger, and once you cant feel a seam, sand some more till its perfect, then you might want to switch to a slightly lighter grit (120) and sand those places over again quick just so its not so rough. next you need wood putty to fill in the screw holes and if you have any gaps/holes on joints. fills those in, let it dry however long it says on the package, then sand down flat. i usually have to do a second run of wood putty after that to fill in tiny holes and such in the previous wood putty (EVERYTHING shows through paint, so everything must be perfect or you will see it). after everything is sanded down GREAT you can spray or paint on primer, and that'll show you more mistakes and such that you need to sand down more or whatever. hope that helps some

bcarpenterfhl
01-09-2005, 02:44 AM
how many cans of what color? and what company do you use? i used to be a big tagger here in the city, and have found that spray paint companys make a huge difference.

bcarpenterfhl
01-09-2005, 02:49 AM
NICE, and yeah i like the texture too. but next time you might wanna take a little sandpaper and knock the line off where the black and grey meet. other than that exceptional job!!!

how do you use sandpaper to conceal the line without f**king it up?

MisterE
01-09-2005, 03:35 AM
for the whole box i used an assload of cans, about 3 coats on each side. i used Ace Hardware brand spraypaint, and they have a fan tip which makes spraying a lot easier for boxes etc.

edit: i actually did no sanding on this box once the actual paint was on, either because i forgot how to properly wetsand or it wasnt the right kind of paint or whatever but I tried it and it wasnt giving me what i wanted. the paint would turn white and the sandpaper would get all gummed up because the paint would just roll around instead of actually sanding. i did wetsanding on all that on the first box i did and it came out GREAT, but i used brush-on paint (dont remember what kind or anything) and it was just a little different.

this was my first box that i wetsanded and used brush-on paint...but i also spent more time on it
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0703/icberg802/BB-diag2.jpg

jellyfish420
01-09-2005, 10:28 PM
what are the dimentions of your girls box?

2kchevy06civic
01-09-2005, 10:34 PM
I think the box turned out fine, you can barely notice those bumps you were talking about.

rollininstyle04
01-09-2005, 11:02 PM
Box looks good.
I had a similar problem with clear coat when painting my engine bay...im pretty sure my problem was due to not letting the paint COMPLETELY dry, it did exactly what you described just sort of wrinkled up on itself. You definately waited enough time for it to dry though so im not sure. I usually wait a full 24hrs after my last coat of paint and my clearcoat now. I havent had the problem since.

MisterE
01-09-2005, 11:04 PM
dimensions of the chicks box are
width=34.4
depth=10.8
height=16.5

jellyfish420
01-09-2005, 11:40 PM
your port was 15x2? about how long? around 50"?

Basshead808
01-10-2005, 12:15 AM
Nice box man, looks Hawaiian style :D

MisterE
01-10-2005, 12:59 AM
i think my length was only about 30" or so, i forget the final calculations i came to

yeah its hawaiian, cuz she has hawaiian seat covers and flowers hangin from her mirror.

Raven
01-10-2005, 09:18 AM
What ever happened to "Pimp your own **** ride"? Now you're off pimpin' some chicks ride. I hope you either got some money or a little bit of something else for your trouble!

Great work on the box. I happen to like the texture, it fits in better with the truck.

MisterE
01-10-2005, 12:55 PM
i actually didnt charge her for labor. the reason being....i had nothing to show other people of my skills in building systems, but now i do, so allll the little kiddies at work see what they could get, and come to me lol.

anyways i dont care about the labor this time, it got me back into the swing of box building and wasted some time i had. plus she says she has a 'present' for me, but wont tell me what it is, and wont give it to me yet.....hmmm.....

mrray13
01-10-2005, 01:21 PM
that wrinkling is called orange peel, for obvious reasons....lol

there are several reasons this happens....

1) the paint/clearcoat did in fact react with each other. if this is the case, there's a chance the paint will stay "soft" and eventually peel

2) the clear was sprayed on too heavy or held too close to the box. a combination of the two is possible as u were spraying too slow while being too close would make it too heavy.

3) the paint was laid on too heavy and never had a chance to cure and then number 2 and/or number 1 followed up with the clear.

4)weather. humidity can reak havoc on a paint job, especially if #2 happens.

wet sanding is just that...a high grit paper (440 being the lowest i'd use for this) and lots of water. if the paint kept "rolling" it wasn't cured (dried) and that's probably the reason for the orangepeel.

all in all, both boxes look good. the peel kinda fits the car and the trunk. i wouldn't worry about it...both enclosures you've posted look sweet!

good job!

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :peace:

jellyfish420
01-10-2005, 02:55 PM
orange peel is something totally different....

smullen
01-10-2005, 03:06 PM
Myself, if I am going to paint MDF, I coat it with a layer of fiberglass resin, then sand, then prime and paint that... Maybe a coat of Slick Sand..

Works great everytime...

mrray13
01-10-2005, 04:36 PM
orange peel is something totally different....

no...this is just a real bad case of orange peel....

click here for definition, cause and preventive measures..well, some...some pics as well (http://www.sherwin-automotive.com/reference/troubleshooting_guide/orange_peel/index.cfm)

smullen hit it right though...resin first is the best idea

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :peace:

jellyfish420
01-10-2005, 08:01 PM
Paint film having an uneven texture that resembles the skin of an orange.
what he is talking about is the paint actually wrinkled, orange peel is uneven texture.
anyway...resin would be good, or a nice coat of bodyfiller.

mrray13
01-10-2005, 08:44 PM
what he is talking about is the paint actually wrinkled, orange peel is uneven texture.
anyway...resin would be good, or a nice coat of bodyfiller.

true...(i'm not trying to argue here...much..lol)

but wrinkled paint= orange peel....only really bad. that's what i was taught when i learned how to paint. yes, most orangepeel isn't so bad that it "feels" like an orange, but it does happen.

and more then likely, with what he said about the mis-haps on the front..he just had too much paint that wasn't dry all the way (the "rolling" of the paint as he tried to sand it hints at it) and it reacted with the clear..

but it still looks good.

and jelly... :toast: for not flaming...hehe..just discussing..

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :peace:

jellyfish420
01-14-2005, 07:20 PM
what colors is that? is that silver, or dk. grey & lt. grey, or what?

Damaso87
01-14-2005, 07:52 PM
4)weather. humidity can reak havoc on a paint job, especially if #2 happens.

Am i the only one that saw the pun in here?

supa_c
01-14-2005, 07:57 PM
Yes

mrray13
01-14-2005, 08:18 PM
Am i the only one that saw the pun in here?

well, the pun was unintentional....lol

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :peace:

bigbass032
01-14-2005, 09:29 PM
nice~!

MisterE
01-15-2005, 12:27 AM
the bottom is black, the flowers *were* metallic silver, and the top part was darkish grey

thanks for all the comments!