PDA

View Full Version : Tuning it looooow (Check my box!)

Raven
01-06-2005, 09:45 PM
Besides the box Jmac is designing for me, I'm also going to modifiy the sealed box my 15s are in. I am making plans to port it. Very, very low. Jmac's will be 34 hz with shared chamberspace; this one is going to be 24hz, seperated chamberspace. I thought about a small port tuned to 5 or 10hz, but if you look at how ported boxes work, it's very impractical.

Now, naturally I don't know the first thing about port length, so I use a calculator (http://www.audiobahninc.com/tech/Calculators/PortLengthCalc.htm).

After doing some math, if I do a roundabout (Contours with the side walls, as opposed to labyrinth style) slot on the bottom instead of the side, I can get away with a 1"x15"(15 sq inches for those not wanting to think) port 30 inches long for that kind of tuning.

2.18 cubes, 1x15x30 inch port, 24hz. How do you think this would sound?

Raven
01-07-2005, 09:20 AM
After thinking about it, I know my calcs are off (noone cares =() I have a bit of 3/4 MDF in there taking up space, too.

I know it was stupid to ask how you'd think it would sound, all I want to know is how accurate the tuning is.