PDA

View Full Version : polyfill

TexasA&M
01-06-2005, 03:07 PM
Hi everyone -

Just wondering what Polyfill is for. I got some with the box that I bought... I read somewhere that it supposedly makes the sub think that it's in a bigger box. If the box is already the size that is suggested for the sub, would I really want to use this stuff?

pacho
01-06-2005, 03:10 PM
If the box is the right size, you don't want to add anything. Polyfill is to make the box seem bigger and you don't need that if you got the right size. But if you haven't already added driver displacement and you got a sealed box, you could add some.

Nikuk
01-06-2005, 03:33 PM
Try it. All you have to do is stuff it in and then pull it out. It wont really "hurt" the driver unless you cram the box full of it
-or-
If you have an oversized box to begin with.

Raven
01-07-2005, 09:25 AM
I've never seen too much polyfill hurt a sub.
In my own experience, it makes the sub play lower. It won't pound as hard as it used to (percussion & stuff), but it really makes it rumble.

theCybe
01-07-2005, 09:29 AM
How about some technical info?

I heard it was to break the soundwaves, to reduce box resonance and junk sound in the box.

squeak9798
01-07-2005, 09:29 AM
In my own experience, it makes the sub play lower. It won't pound as hard as it used to (percussion & stuff), but it really makes it rumble.

:idea: That's the typical effect of a [perceived] larger enclosure

:)

Nikuk
01-07-2005, 10:47 AM
How about some technical info?

I heard it was to break the soundwaves, to reduce box resonance and junk sound in the box.

*Breaks up resonance (can be good or bad)...

*Destroys standing wave problems...

*Slows the soudwaves (making it seem bigger)...

*Flattens Q...

*Smells good....

*Doesn't look as stupid as a 2L bottle of pepsi... :rolleyes:

tRiGgEr
01-07-2005, 11:03 AM
:idea: That's the typical effect of a [perceived] larger enclosure

:)

Yeah but if your cramped for space it is very usefull. If you got the room for a big sealed box don't use it.