PDA

View Full Version : Fiberglassing low on the door...

GCAdidas13
01-06-2005, 12:01 PM
I'm curious. I want a sealed enclosure for some Koda 8 or 6's low on the door. How much airspace is needed back there? Like, roundabouts. For example would I be fine using, say, a coffee can to glass over and be alright? I've never glassed before but from what i've seen, it's not that tough. I've read about 5different tutorials and have seen about 20 different projects, so I think I could do it. What would I wanna do?

Basically I love req's setup, and want something like that :-)

Brian

req
01-06-2005, 12:11 PM
:)

oh man, im trying to remember what i was told about the area down there... i think it was like .16ft^3 of airspace sealed or somthing. really small.

basically just enough room to seal the back of the driver from the front. but you need to know how much power they are going to get - yada yada.

what do you have now, and what do you want out of your system?

GCAdidas13
01-06-2005, 12:16 PM
I still have some work to do on my midbass. I have DLS UR6 mids that just aren't performing.

BUT I am completely 100% certain at this moment that it is not performing anywhere NEAR what it should be.

lol, actually, i probably already talked to you about this, i think.

And, i love you.

I just haven't found the time needed to make another MDF mount, and seal the front of my IB from the back in every possible way necessary. (that is, rope caulk, some real caulking, etc)

But really I guess I just don't see how that could make that big of a difference.

Reminds me of that one time i played my Infinity Kappa 693.2's (i think?) free-air and they ****** hxc, i was so dissapointed, then i threw them in the rear deck and wham-o they sounded fine.

I need to be not lazy.

Brian

-----
edit: it wasn't req, it was squeak that i was talking to about the whole sealing-the-infinite-baffle stuff.

how strongly do you feel that with the midbass, in an ib setup, that the baffle must be sealed off anywhere that it can be sealed, near the speaker?

squeak9798
01-06-2005, 12:34 PM
how strongly do you feel that with the midbass, in an ib setup, that the baffle must be sealed off anywhere that it can be sealed, near the speaker?

It's important. It may not be your main problem, but it definitely will help. Sturdying up the mounting baffle and around that area will make a difference though. Think of it as mounting a sub in a box made out of 1/4" MDF instead of 3/4" MDF.........; same thing happens to midbass drivers when mounted on plastic or flimsy metal.

req
01-06-2005, 12:47 PM
theres a good tip right there. ^^^