PDA

View Full Version : 4 tenzzzzz

SPLguy420
01-05-2005, 02:21 AM
Sup guys, i have 4 10" mtx 8000's i had for about a month and finally decided to make a box for em. i have a directed audio 1100d amplifier for now. i have a 92 bonneville, decent size trunk. i never build a box before so dont really know what would be best,

i could go with this design below (By brandont), is this a good box?
please give me advise/suggestions thanks,

http://img153.exs.cx/img153/1852/isomtxboxfinal0lt.jpg

bcarpenterfhl
01-05-2005, 02:32 AM
awsome box he built. he used some pretty complex bracing though. also the sub direction isnt the best; should be faced towards rear. def. on of the better boxes i've seen.

TimberJon
01-05-2005, 12:11 PM
Um im an Engineer, and I dont see ANY bracing.. The red-like lines are center point referances for the dimensions. I only see one port. Nice port, but Id use two of them for 4 subwoofers. Try to get the box built so - like bcarpenter said - the subs are facing rearward, and the ports point in the same direction as the subs. One on each side of the box.

Ive even seen UPward facing ports, in SUVs.

theCybe
01-05-2005, 12:16 PM
I threw 3 of those subs in an enclosure with the same exterior dimensions as the diagram above; It's sealed, and the subs face rearward; I'm not satisfied. That, and the box blew apart. The box is way larger than it seems in the diagram, heavy as $#!t, and ultimately insufficient; I'm porting mine when the weather dries up, and retacking the lid.

So brace it. : )

I wonder how Brandon's is holding up.

TimberJon
01-05-2005, 12:26 PM
L00ks like itd fly apart.. not enough port space. And i wouldnt seal a box with more than 2 subs in it. As far as the bracing on more than 2 subs.. extreme, my boxes are HUGE because of the amount of displacement inside. But solid like Dreadnaughts.

cobra65427289
01-05-2005, 12:34 PM
not a bad design. if you want SPL i would shoot for 6 cubes, 120 sq inches of port area, good place to start. if you want some bump, keep your current design. not bad.

al

bcarpenterfhl
01-05-2005, 10:56 PM
IMO, the port area isnt too bad. i have a box thats about the same size, and the only thing supporting it is a wooden dowel and the port. i jumped on it, and it doesnt flex the slightest. i think brandont knew what he was doing....

mrray13
01-06-2005, 12:18 AM
not a bad design. if you want SPL i would shoot for 6 cubes, 120 sq inches of port area, good place to start. if you want some bump, keep your current design. not bad.

al

^^x2..this box design is sufficient. if u have any concerns...maybe put some 3/4" dowel rod in between each sub, top to bottom....

other then that...that's a decent box...should be fine.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :peace:

SPLguy420
01-06-2005, 09:13 PM
i posted this in a different forum and they said i should really try and get subs to fire backwards, instead of up. i cant fit 4 like this but i could prolly fit 3, do you guys think 3 subs firing backwards would be better then 4 firing up?

DBfan187
01-06-2005, 09:22 PM
Why not go sealed? Give each a cube.

theCybe
01-06-2005, 10:44 PM
IMO, the port area isnt too bad. i have a box thats about the same size, and the only thing supporting it is a wooden dowel and the port. i jumped on it, and it doesnt flex the slightest. i think brandont knew what he was doing....

Yeah, but pressure from the inside of the box is a different story; Ask my [torn-up] box. :)

bcarpenterfhl
01-07-2005, 02:06 AM
i posted this in a different forum and they said i should really try and get subs to fire backwards, instead of up. i cant fit 4 like this but i could prolly fit 3, do you guys think 3 subs firing backwards would be better then 4 firing up?

how about three firing back and one firing up. i think the drvier depth is shallow enough.

SPLguy420
01-09-2005, 03:22 PM
how about three firing back and one firing up. i think the drvier depth is shallow enough.

wont that cause cancelation?

bcarpenterfhl
01-09-2005, 07:11 PM
wont that cause cancelation?

i'm not really to sure. i think it would be less of an issue if you staggered them a little bit, so they arent all aligned.