PDA

View Full Version : 2v pre-outs VS more volts

goodrich
01-04-2005, 11:02 PM
does it REALLY make a difference? i have an alpine that i bout about 2 1/2 years ago for $200 at CC and it has 2v pre-outs but i'm going to a pioneer p860 with over 6v.

desertheat
01-04-2005, 11:11 PM
Well even though it may be in my head, more voltage seems to have givin me a better dynamic range.. .mabey it was going to a better overall headunit but when I went from a standard deck to a true 4v preout alpine it was an amazing difference. I even noticed the difference with all settings off. just sounded great!

iceteebone
01-04-2005, 11:23 PM
if you are not getting any noise in your system at 2 volts upgrading to 4 volts won't do anything. with higher volts you don't have to turn your gains as high to match your headunit, therfore less chance of induced noise. with lower volts you have to turn the gain higher to match with your headunit, therfore increasing your chances of noise but if you have no noise at 2 volts going to 4 volts won't do anything.

squeak9798
01-04-2005, 11:25 PM
if you are not getting any noise in your system at 2 volts upgrading to 4 volts won't do anything. with higher volts you don't have to turn your gains as high to match your headunit, therfore less chance of induced noise. with lower volts you have to turn the gain higher to match with your headunit, therfore increasing your chances of noise but if you have no noise at 2 volts going to 4 volts won't do anything.

Bingo

desertheat
01-04-2005, 11:30 PM
My deal was I was going from an old crappy kenwood deck with probably 1/4 volt preouts to a then new alpine with 4v preouts... probably was the difference overall in equipment :)

squeak9798
01-04-2005, 11:32 PM
My deal was I was going from an old crappy kenwood deck with probably 1/4 volt preouts to a then new alpine with 4v preouts... probably was the difference overall in equipment :)

LOL....yeah. Kenwood in my experience has pretty much ****** all the way around (as far as headunits go)

desertheat
01-04-2005, 11:39 PM
Yeah they had good and bad times.. The 99-01 units I thought were great and I loved them, then I have no clue what happened to them!

JL_W6_v1
01-05-2005, 03:35 AM
LOL....yeah. Kenwood in my experience has pretty much ****** all the way around (as far as headunits go)

I belive that!

IMO, too many people make a big issue out of voltage, but then again, more is always betta right? :thumbsup:

wagz
01-07-2005, 02:46 PM
the more volts the better

and it depends on your amp, i had an old amp that accepted up to 6v rca's and it was loud, then when my 4v deck blew and i replaced it with the same brand 2v unit and with the gains cranked the sub wouldent get as loud as the 4v deck

gains up the signal and also increace the chance of excess elctrical noise being played through your system, but keep in mind if your amp wants 6v rca's, its much much much nicer to supply the signal with a 6v deck rather than having to crank the gains on a 2v one