PDA

View Full Version : Power Sanders

djXternal
01-04-2005, 10:27 PM
What type of power sanders would you guys recommend for projects with some curves, and a large surface... im trying to get it really smooth to paint it

i was looking at both a small rotary sander... u kno it just spins the paper

or a vibrating sander... not quite a belt but vibrates the paper up and down to sand

jtomsic
01-04-2005, 10:40 PM
mouse sander and a belt sander are what i use.

djXternal
01-04-2005, 10:45 PM
i used the mouse once and wasnt pleased at all... and the belt is a lil too pricey for me... the two i metioned r both round 30$

InhumanAcura
01-04-2005, 11:03 PM
I like the Makita or Bosch palm sanders. The Bosch has a really easy approach to changing paper.

Ray21
01-05-2005, 04:48 AM
I just got a Makita palm sander and it works great...

jtomsic
01-05-2005, 11:35 AM
black and decker palm sanders are like $30, black and decker belt sanders are like $50.. i dont know if id buy them i prefer dewalt but they are little more pricier.

g30ffr3y
01-05-2005, 11:39 AM
ive got a black and decker palm sander... it was the best 24.95 ive spent lately...

TimberJon
01-05-2005, 11:44 AM
Way to go Ray...

Heres a little trick. Makita is the ONLY company that winds their OWN motors, they make it themselves. Granted, the plant that they make them in is not in the USA, but still, they are the ONLY company out there that makes power tools that DOESNT use mass-produced motor cans from asia or wherever the low bidders are at. Everyone else does, dewalt, ryobi, SKIL, milwaukee, craftsman, you name it, they use generic motor cans.

SO! If you want a quality product, spend the $10 or $20 dollars extra for your makita.
You'll notice the difference.

(Before i learned this i was a hardcore SKIL and Milwaukee fan)

Also, belt sanders arent too bad, if you can find a mini one, they work great for rounding corners. Again, makita. Everyone knows to use a nice coarse for the grinding, then switch to the 120 grit for the fine sanding. anything past 120 is a little too far.