PDA

View Full Version : Hisssing noise out of tweeters...

suprropmp
01-04-2005, 05:20 PM
Hey guys,

I just installed my components and I noticed that there was a hissing sound coming out of the tweeters regardless of what song i played. So I paused the music and the noise was still coming out. Any ideas on what it could be?

squeak9798
01-04-2005, 05:45 PM
Does it change pitch with engine revving??

Have you tried turning down the gains on the amp and seeing if the noise goes away?

suprropmp
01-04-2005, 06:07 PM
I havent tried reving the engine... this is all being done in my garage so car isnt moving...

I did try turning down the gain and the noise is still there (with the gain at like 25%)...

Raven
01-04-2005, 06:19 PM
My Power Acoustik Nobium tweeters have the same problem. Maybe they're blown? Not sure, but for reference, mine have built in crossovers.

suprropmp
01-04-2005, 10:51 PM
did you figure out what was wrong with yours?

I'll go pick up a noise filter on thursday and try that

desertheat
01-04-2005, 11:28 PM
No, do not bandaid the system. Does the car do it only when running or off or both..? Have you tried different cd's..?? You need to troubleshoot this and find out what is causing it. Try unplugging the rca's and take a regular rca and cut the wires back and deadshort them together, then plug them into the amp and see if the noise goes away.. if it does it is your heatunit or rca's themselves..

loserpunk
01-04-2005, 11:40 PM
possibly a bad h/u ground

lotas
01-05-2005, 12:21 AM
i have the same problem, except i can hear my engine through my speakers and there is also a hissing. I have nice streetwire RCA's, and both my amps are grounded to sanded metal...im not sure what else it could be.

desertheat
01-05-2005, 01:24 AM
Your gains are set to high vs. output voltage of the head unit.. ether that or your headunit just does not have the nuts .

Naxis2k1
01-05-2005, 05:42 AM
Your gains are set to high vs. output voltage of the head unit.. ether that or your headunit just does not have the nuts .

haha thats a good way to put it...

Raven
01-05-2005, 04:41 PM
I never took care of the problem. I simply mounted the tweeters in place of the rear fill instead of up front. They are a little harsh, so the extra distance softens them, and coincidentally I also can't hear the noise anymore.

I would tell you if the Aiwa set I got off DesertHeat does the same, but I have no crossovers, and there's no chance I'm strapping them onto a 20/20k signal.

desertheat
01-05-2005, 08:13 PM
aura tweets :) Yeah they need crossed from around 3K at 12db/oct

anarchy57
01-05-2005, 09:52 PM
I just noticed that while im driving(not idle) theres a high pitched whistle that gets louder and louder as i accelerate, what does this mean? are my gains set too high?

a lil more info-
Pioneer premier deh8-mp head unit
rainbow comps in front
rainbow coaxes in back
arc kar amp pushing the comps and coaxes

Raven
01-05-2005, 09:55 PM
For the problem with the tweets, rest assured it's not alt whine. Attached to PC / Xbox, I still get the whine. Attached to home stereo, I get the whine.

alti98
01-05-2005, 10:03 PM
Thats a bad ground. I had it when I grounded my amp to metal that was insulated by plastic. Find a part of the car those goes back to the chassis and ground it to that. The seat bolts usually wont work becaus there insulated.

Try that and see if it helps. You could also try a grounding mount.

Raven
01-05-2005, 10:10 PM
No no, you don't get it. I can attach it to a speaker lead that is giving a perfectly clear signal, and still get the whine. You really think I'd find alt whine in a home stereo?

loserpunk
01-05-2005, 10:14 PM
I just noticed that while im driving(not idle) theres a high pitched whistle that gets louder and louder as i accelerate, what does this mean? are my gains set too high?

a lil more info-
Pioneer premier deh8-mp head unit
rainbow comps in front
rainbow coaxes in back
arc kar amp pushing the comps and coaxes

try regrounding all your amps, and your h/u (w/o using the wiring harness)

anarchy57
01-05-2005, 11:12 PM
Right now I have the thick ground wire coming out of my H/U to a bolt, and the ground wire coming out of the wiring harness to that bolt also.

As for the amp, I used 4awg wire and grounded it to a gold bolt that rested on some metal(I still dunno exactly what the "chassis" is. But I did sand all around it.

I guess I have to check everything again tomorrow when I have time.

John3000
01-07-2005, 10:46 PM
I just had the same problem, bought some quality RCA's and the whine is gone. Go get some new RCA's first. If that doesn't work you can always take them back.