PDA

View Full Version : HU's that show the radio station name/songs + Avic-N1

ThePhreak
01-03-2005, 03:07 AM
I have a question. I recently was down in Florida and we had a rented Monte Carlo. When I turned the radio on, I noticed that it displayed the radio stations name and also the artist/song title, all from FM. I was wondering how this does that, and what you have to look for on a HU to get that. I was also wondering if anyone knows if it does that on a Pioneer Avic-N1, because I am looking to purchase one of them.

If anyone has any pictures of the Pioneer playing an CD-R full of mp3's and other random pictures, I'd be very thankful if you could post them! Thanks!

JoseMCeee
01-03-2005, 03:30 AM
hmm ive never heard of a fm unit doing that. are you sure it wasnt XM? I know XM units show all that information. Lots of units today are ready for XM radio already.

ThePhreak
01-03-2005, 03:39 AM
hmm ive never heard of a fm unit doing that. are you sure it wasnt XM? I know XM units show all that information. Lots of units today are ready for XM radio already.

Yep, I'm pretty sure sure. It would only do it for certain stations too.

Crashking
01-04-2005, 12:36 AM
yeah i've seen it on a few vehicles that we have rented... but i've only seen station name and maybe an ad from them... alll fm... forget what it is called though

DBfan187
01-04-2005, 12:37 AM
A lot of the premium systems do that. Monsoon.

DARKHART
01-04-2005, 12:45 AM
That car must have the new "HD" radio tuner and the station you were listening to was broadcasting in the new High Definition format. It's new tech and not many station have it, basically they are trying to boost the FM format and broadcast it in digital form....... :D :D :D

DARKHART
01-04-2005, 12:48 AM
A lot of the premium systems do that. Monsoon.
I know that alot of them displays the stations call letters but do any of them display the song and artist like he's talking about? I was only aware of the "HD" units and stations having that ability..... :D :D :D

KaeZoo
01-04-2005, 12:48 AM
It's called RDS and it's been out for a while. I'm not sure which aftermarket units have it these days; it doesn't seem to have become as big as people thought it would five years ago. To use it, the radio station has to broadcast the RDS information. Not all of them use it for song/artist info; some might just broadcast their call letters or promos, and others don't broadcast it at all.

DBfan187
01-04-2005, 12:50 AM
I know that alot of them displays the stations call letters but do any of them display the song and artist like he's talking about? I was only aware of the "HD" units and stations having that ability..... :D :D :DOh I'm not really sure! I was just stating one of the systems I've seen something like it on. Monsoon systems. I'm just gonna agree with you and the dude above and below me!:thumbupw:

DARKHART
01-04-2005, 12:52 AM
It's called RDS and it's been out for a while. I'm not sure which aftermarket units have it these days; it doesn't seem to have become as big as people thought it would five years ago. To use it, the radio station has to broadcast the RDS information. Not all of them use it for song/artist info; some might just broadcast their call letters or promos, and others don't broadcast it at all.
I completely forgot about RDS......

Crashking
01-04-2005, 12:53 AM
I completely forgot about RDS......
yeah that's what i've seen it as is rds.... it's a neat little feature.... but i think most aftermarket HU's allow you to program in a name for them... custom ;) lol

JimJ
01-04-2005, 02:50 AM

Ding-ding...he's right :) RDS has been in use in this country for a while, but it's not as common as in Europe, where they use more SCA subcarrier transmissions anyway.

There's all sorts of nifty things FM stations broadcast as inaudible subcarriers on their signals, if you only had the proper receivers to decode them...

tRiGgEr
01-04-2005, 12:02 PM
My sony CDX-M9905x has that feature. But not many stations broadcast it down here. Only found two that I actually listen to. Very cool feature.

bumpncarstereo
01-04-2005, 05:46 PM
my girlfriends car dose that here in ny it is a 03 cavy.

jtomsic
01-04-2005, 05:47 PM
its not called RDS in U.S. lol ..its RDBS..radio data broadcast system, and theres only 700 stations in U.S. who use it..more used in Europe like was said i believe.