PDA

View Full Version : Improving Imaging

psycho72
12-31-2004, 07:32 PM
Okay so my current install has my tweets high up in the doors and the mids at the bottom (bad for imaging-currently the best seat in the house is where the HU is located-not very comfortable). So what I was thinking is that I could get some 3.5" Midranges (anyone got a pair of good quality ones or any links) and put them in a pod in the corners of the dash right next to the tweets both of which I would aim as close to the dome light as possible. So tweets and midrange would be close and high up aimed for proper imaging and the old 6.5" Mids can be relegated to Midbass duties only and stay in their current locations.

So the questions are

1. seem like a good idea?
2. can a 3.5" midrange handle the midrange signal nicely (say like 275Hz-5000Hz)?
3. can you see a downside?
4. any suggestions?

iceteebone
12-31-2004, 07:36 PM
in my opinion kickpanels offer the best imaging. try putting a 6.5" comps set in some kicks and see what that does for ya

squeak9798
12-31-2004, 07:39 PM
So what I was thinking is that I could get some 3.5" Midranges (anyone got a pair of good quality ones or any links) and put them in a pod in the corners of the dash right next to the tweets both of which I would aim as close to the dome light as possible. So tweets and midrange would be close and high up aimed for proper imaging and the old 6.5" Mids can be relegated to Midbass duties only and stay in their current locations.

Bad idea. Midrange frequencies are sensitive to pathlenghts as well as aiming. You want their pathlengths to be as close to the same (to your ear) as possible. This is why kickpanels are used so effective.....the minimize the pathlength difference from each speaker to your ears.

psycho72
12-31-2004, 07:41 PM
Thanks for the suggestion but there is no way I am going to sacrafice my kickpanels. Kickpanel mounted speakers make me feel like there is no room for my feet. Not to mention I already have my components I was simply thinking of a cheap and easy way to make things better ($60-100 for some midanges is cool), $300 for some new components is not doable right now.

Ah so then placing them high up shortens the path for the one closest to me screwing up imaging even more. Do I have that right Squeak? Oh well so another idea bites the dust!

squeak9798
12-31-2004, 07:50 PM
Ah so then placing them high up shortens the path for the one closest to me screwing up imaging even more. Do I have that right Squeak?

Yup....the one on your side would be WAY closer to you than the other one....which = not good. Have you tried placing your tweeters down low??

psycho72
12-31-2004, 07:52 PM
Yeah that was actually my next idea. Anyone know how to seal up holes in the door panels (daymn so called professionals-I knew I should have done it myself).

iceteebone
12-31-2004, 07:53 PM
Thanks for the suggestion but there is no way I am going to sacrafice my kickpanels. Kickpanel mounted speakers make me feel like there is no room for my feet. Not to mention I already have my components I was simply thinking of a cheap and easy way to make things better ($60-100 for some midanges is cool), $300 for some new components is not doable right now.

Ah so then placing them high up shortens the path for the one closest to me screwing up imaging even more. Do I have that right Squeak? Oh well so another idea bites the dust!

why couldn't you put your mids and tweets in kicks? why would you need a new set? they really don't take up much foot room.

psycho72
12-31-2004, 07:56 PM
why couldn't you put your mids and tweets in kicks? why would you need a new set? they really don't take up much foot room.

Oh were you saying the tweet and the 3.5"? I thought you meant the 6.5's which take up way too much foot room for a guy who has size EEE feet and likes to wear steel toed boots (CAT Alaskas to be precise) which are huge.

iceteebone
12-31-2004, 08:03 PM
Oh were you saying the tweet and the 3.5"? I thought you meant the 6.5's which take up way too much foot room for a guy who has size EEE feet and likes to wear steel toed boots (CAT Alaskas to be precise) which are huge.

you could do something like a 4" or 3.5" with the tweets in kicks and 6.5's in doors. i have a 5.25 comp set in kicks with 6.5's in doors and i like it. i'm not the pickiest of listeners though. i where a size 13 shoe and i have plenty of foot room.

psycho72
12-31-2004, 08:10 PM
you could do something like a 4" or 3.5" with the tweets in kicks and 6.5's in doors. i have a 5.25 comp set in kicks with 6.5's in doors and i like it. i'm not the pickiest of listeners though. i where a size 13 shoe and i have plenty of foot room.

Got any pics?

iceteebone
12-31-2004, 08:16 PM
Got any pics?

no, but i could do some tommorrow. i have q-logic kicks though. i had a disaster when i tried to fiberglass, lol

iceteebone
12-31-2004, 08:24 PM
Got any pics?

http://www.caraudio.com/vb/showthread.php?p=688062#post688062 if you take a look at the first pic you can kinda see the kick panel.

psycho72
12-31-2004, 10:28 PM
Looks just like a normal kick installation and i just don't like giving up all that foot space. I think I am gonna scap this idea and get some horns in a couple of months or 3 or 4 or 5 or 6.

squeak9798
01-01-2005, 08:32 PM
I don't know what kinda car you have......but, if you don't mind some cuttin' and hackin', you could fit the speakers behind where the current factory kickpanel area is.....so no added room would be consumed.

psycho72
01-01-2005, 10:57 PM
I don't know what kinda car you have......but, if you don't mind some cuttin' and hackin', you could fit the speakers behind where the current factory kickpanel area is.....so no added room would be consumed.

Naw its cool I decided to demote the seperates to the rear and install some horns in the front. Only problem is the money especially since I just got one of those "**** you pay us we caught you on photo running a red" letters. $341.00. Mother****ers!!!!!!! Ah my own fault but **** could'nt they teach me a $100 lesson???

packerfan
01-02-2005, 12:54 AM
Have fun with the horns, hope you have a **** good eq (31 band to be exact on each side) and **** good mids to keep up with them (8" mids are perfect)

psycho72
01-02-2005, 02:17 AM
Have fun with the horns, hope you have a **** good eq (31 band to be exact on each side) and **** good mids to keep up with them (8" mids are perfect)

Before I get the horns I'll be getting an Audio Control DQS and when I get the horns I plan on getting Adire Extremis 6.8's.

Sleeklsc
01-02-2005, 02:29 AM
http://impalassforum.com/tech/audio/door_speakers/door_template.htm

thats if you actually have a impala/ caprice...didnt specify.....click on the tempete and print...direct dimensions

Acidburn
01-02-2005, 02:35 AM
if you have large mids, you will need to cut some metal to get them to fit even with that template, i had to

psycho72
01-02-2005, 02:41 AM
Right now I am in a 95 Acura Integra. I am searching for the Caprice/Impala and hope to have it in the next couple of months.

Sleeklsc
01-02-2005, 02:46 AM
o, ok...so that imp is on the dream list??:)

psycho72
01-02-2005, 03:15 AM
o, ok...so that imp is on the dream list??:)

A little closer than a dream but not yet a reality :D

squeak9798
01-02-2005, 02:19 PM
Naw its cool I decided to demote the seperates to the rear and install some horns in the front. Only problem is the money especially since I just got one of those "**** you pay us we caught you on photo running a red" letters. $341.00. Mother****ers!!!!!!! Ah my own fault but **** could'nt they teach me a $100 lesson???

I have a pair of horns for sale ;)

:D

ChuteBoxe515
01-02-2005, 02:22 PM
oops...

the_flatlander
01-02-2005, 11:30 PM
Right now I am in a 95 Acura Integra. I am searching for the Caprice/Impala and hope to have it in the next couple of months.

**** good car and if it is manual you don't have a lot of foot room on the drivers side.