PDA

View Full Version : MDF vs. Particle Board

radel2dope
12-31-2004, 04:51 PM
Whats up guys, I have a quick question. It is hard as hell to get my hands on MDF where I live, but everyone keeps tellin me to get particle board. It would be 3/4 inch either way. I have a feeling if I looked around more, I could get some MDF but would be much more expensive than particle board, Is there that much of a difference to make me pay the extra money? I will be putting a 12" SX powered by an Orion 1200D. The box would be built to the specifications on reaudio.com.
Any input would be great, thanks guys.

Damaso87
12-31-2004, 05:28 PM
MDF is shredded paper, particle board is shredded wood. Thats all i know. www.google.com could help too.

Nikuk
12-31-2004, 05:57 PM
MDF is shredded paper, particle board is shredded wood. Thats all i know. www.google.com could help too.

hhhhmmm, you've got that backwards.

MDF = Sawdust & glue (hence the ginormous mess).

Particle board = coarsely recycled & pressed scrap wood.

For what it's worth, I have actually seen plywood & particle board enclosures blow apart. Was fun.

Get MDF. Unless you are doing something small.

dezyrme
12-31-2004, 06:07 PM
Never use particle board. Its the worst wood on earth to use for a box. There's gotta be a Home Depot or a Lowes around. They both sell MDF and if not, look in the yellow pages for a custom cabinet shop. They will gladly sell you a sheet. Don't even waste time building a box for that caliber of equipment with particle board. That will be an insult to that sub.

Damaso87
12-31-2004, 06:09 PM
You could use 3-4 layers of Particle Board...that would give it some strength.

jtomsic
12-31-2004, 06:11 PM
its like 25 bucks for a huge piece of mdf...u'll be building a new box if u use particle board anyhow..why not save urself some time.

Nikuk
12-31-2004, 06:55 PM
You could use 3-4 layers of Particle Board...that would give it some strength.

Will still flex due to the nature of the board. Not too mention that this way;ll is much more expensive then 1 sheet of MDF.

Raven
12-31-2004, 08:01 PM
I had a chipboard enclosure, I blew it apart with my 15s.
Or, should I say this.
My cheap 15s with a solid 1" p2p excursion(under double there RMS power and playing test tones) blew apart the pre-fab chipboard box that I bought them with at the seams.

After building an MDF box, I have never had that problem again.

Nikuk
12-31-2004, 08:02 PM
Wilma flies?

Raven
12-31-2004, 09:24 PM
I'm quoting Happy Noodle Boy. It seemed more appropriate than my last signature.
"Using the circular razor blades of a deli saw as a makeshift yoyo and severing legs and feet as you 'walk the dog' is appealing, but impractical."
I make up a lot of hideous things that I could do to hurt people, I use them to scare off those idiots on Yahoo who hit me up asking for cyber ***.

JimJ
01-01-2005, 01:31 AM
If you ever question the rigidity of particle board, just take a look at some of those videos where 2x4's get shot at over 100mph at 4x8 sheets of it :)

radel2dope
01-01-2005, 01:56 PM
Thanks for the input guys, but the problem is just that: There ISNT a Home Depot or Lowe's around, the closest one is an hour and a half away, and I dont think I will be fitting a sheet of MDF in my 98 Grand Am. Any MDF I ordered would have to be special ordered, and be hella expensive, but I guess if thats what it takes, I will just have to do it.

thismightbepat
01-01-2005, 02:05 PM
Couldn't you just drive over to Lowes or Home Depot, buy the MDF which would be 20 bucks at the most, and then just tie it to the roof of your car and take it back home? The guys at the store would probably be glad to help out. C'mon be resourceful, guy.

packerfan
01-01-2005, 03:40 PM
Never use particle board. Its the worst wood on earth to use for a box. There's gotta be a Home Depot or a Lowes around. They both sell MDF and if not, look in the yellow pages for a custom cabinet shop. They will gladly sell you a sheet. Don't even waste time building a box for that caliber of equipment with particle board. That will be an insult to that sub. Wow, where do i start..."worst sounding wood on earth" Haha, ok, ive used partical board on 95% of my boxes and i have yet to notice a difference between PA and MDF...second of all, the closest cabinet shop charges $45 a sheet of MDF, and the closest HD is 30 miles...you will not hear a difference between a properly build PA box and MDF box.

radel2dope
01-02-2005, 04:14 PM
Ah, perfect, two very conflicting viewpoints, any other suggestions?

packerfan
01-02-2005, 04:51 PM
Ah, perfect, two very conflicting viewpoints, any other suggestions?
Unless your doing a big wall or just a big box, use mdf but if its just a small box save some money and go with PB. just my 2 cents.

Nikuk
01-03-2005, 12:30 PM
well.... what was the conclusion here?

CarlB
01-03-2005, 12:38 PM
http://www.jlaudio.com/tutorials/boxdesign/index.html

"Avoid using particle board at all costs as it is too flaky (literally), doesn't hold screws well and swells like a sponge when water hits it. In short, particle board comes from the Pit of Hell. Avoid it at all costs."

bamaboy
01-03-2005, 02:16 PM
are you buildind the ported box or sealed one from re. Thats a good combo for subs and amp. i have SX with Viper 1200.1 which is pretty much same amp as urs, you will be happy if you build the box right

radel2dope
01-03-2005, 06:19 PM
are you buildind the ported box or sealed one from re. Thats a good combo for subs and amp. i have SX with Viper 1200.1 which is pretty much same amp as urs, you will be happy if you build the box right
I just bought an RE 35.1, so Im wondering if I should go with the SX or XXX now

DARKHART
01-03-2005, 07:22 PM
Wow, where do i start..."worst sounding wood on earth" Haha, ok, ive used partical board on 95% of my boxes and i have yet to notice a difference between PA and MDF...second of all, the closest cabinet shop charges $45 a sheet of MDF, and the closest HD is 30 miles...you will not hear a difference between a properly build PA box and MDF box.

Finally someone with some common sense.... particular board will be just fine if the enclosure is built and braced properly. All this nonsense about not using it is just that...nonsense. Granted MDF would be a better choice but in your case use the PB. As for that "worst material ever" statement on JL's site...garbage! We've been building sub enclosure in this industry for both home and car use decades before there ever was a JL Audio. I remember when they first hit the market, alot of the vehicles sporting their subs had PB boxes.
In a real world "joe averge" application, PB would be just fine if built right....... :D :D :D

drpeeb
05-03-2009, 01:33 AM
Finally someone with some common sense.... particular board will be just fine if the enclosure is built and braced properly. All this nonsense about not using it is just that...nonsense. Granted MDF would be a better choice but in your case use the PB. As for that "worst material ever" statement on JL's site...garbage! We've been building sub enclosure in this industry for both home and car use decades before there ever was a JL Audio. I remember when they first hit the market, alot of the vehicles sporting their subs had PB boxes.
In a real world "joe averge" application, PB would be just fine if built right....... :D :D :D

PB is not only just as good a material for sub boxes, in all circumstances ... dare I say, maybe better. Here's my comparison:

Equals

- They both swell when wet, so no difference there. Not sure why that would matter anyway.

- A bunch of folks on here already weighed in and it seems consensus that there's no audible difference between them.

- I, and others weighing here, have pre-drilled and countersunk many screws in PB, and not a problem. If you don't pre-drill, big splitting problem. If you don't counter-sink, big splitting problem.

Points for PB

- Cheaper than MDF
- Weighs quite a bit less

Points for MDF

- ???

mendon mafia
05-03-2009, 02:14 AM
the only real issue with particle board is splitting when screwing it together.

PB is just as rigid (if not more so) as mdf and weighs less. That being said there should be no audible difference. And even if it were less rigid you could always uses dowels or threaded rod to brace the box which many people, including myself do anyways.

Ive never built a box from it but if you use good glue and brads i dont see why it wouldn't work. or if you wanted to use screws be sure to counter sink and pre-drill all your holes a good amount to avoid splitting.

I guarante all the PB boxes that everyone claims they have seen break or "blow apart" it was due to a split that was already there caused by a screw or screws. also could be due to poor gluing which jeasily could happen to an mdf enclosure if you dont know what you are doing.

FYI Most house floors and exterior walls are made from PB. if it wasn't strong they wouldn't use it. just my 2 (maybe 3) cents

gotparts90
05-03-2009, 02:32 AM
I would rather build out of crappy plywood than PB. can you find some void free birch? that's even better than mdf.

IDSkoT
05-03-2009, 02:37 AM
hhhhmmm, you've got that backwards.

MDF = Sawdust & glue (hence the ginormous mess).

Particle board = coarsely recycled & pressed scrap wood.

For what it's worth, I have actually seen plywood & particle board enclosures blow apart. Was fun.

Get MDF. Unless you are doing something small.

With poor bracing, anything can fall apart.

As for plywood, birch enclosures work well, and they're out of plywood.

Particle board isn't good to use because of it's density. Commercial companies (mainly home theater people) use Particle Board in some of their enclosures. If it works, use it. However, it's not as dense as, say, birch or MDF/HDF. If you can, use some birch plywood. The more plys the better. If you do this, do not, I repeat, do NOT use nails or screws. This will separate the layers and ruin the box. Just use glue.

tyler_fitz
05-03-2009, 02:44 AM
god damnit i cant believe i wasted my time reading this old *** 4 yr old thread.

IDSkoT
05-03-2009, 03:46 AM
PB is not only just as good a material for sub boxes, in all circumstances ... dare I say, maybe better. Here's my comparison:

Equals

- They both swell when wet, so no difference there. Not sure why that would matter anyway.

- A bunch of folks on here already weighed in and it seems consensus that there's no audible difference between them.

- I, and others weighing here, have pre-drilled and countersunk many screws in PB, and not a problem. If you don't pre-drill, big splitting problem. If you don't counter-sink, big splitting problem.

Points for PB

- Cheaper than MDF

Points for MDF

- ???

You're forgetting DENSITY.

Make a box out of paper, scream into it. Make a box out of MDF, scream into it.
Notice the difference.

dreamer33917
05-03-2009, 04:12 AM
Look keep it simple mdf is not that expensive first of all... And you get 5 free cuts when you buy a sheet at< home depot or Lowe's >. Just have your measurements on you and they will cut the sides ,top ,back ,bottom and front making it way easier to transport home. And unless you have a crazy box all you will have left to do is cut your holes. And maybe make some angle cuts and liquid nail and screw it together <virtually no mess>. I figure 25 for wood, 5 for liquid nail and clear silicone , 2.50 wood screws, 4 bucks for 4 bags of polly fill ,hell 2.50 for spray glue and 5-10 for carpet <etc> your at like 40-55 bucks thats not bad, with tax figure 60... Whatever you do have them make the cuts they have vacuum saws on a cut table so measurements are dead on and its fast and saves a lot of time and its safer on your lungs considering most cutting done there

thch
05-03-2009, 05:34 AM
I was just about to post the same thing. but it seems this thread is quite old.

drpeeb
05-03-2009, 12:27 PM
You're forgetting DENSITY.

Make a box out of paper, scream into it. Make a box out of MDF, scream into it.
Notice the difference.

You think the density of PB is the same as paper?? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Particle board is less dense than MDF, but not enough to be audible.

Anybody gonna do a sound test so people can stop wasting their money on MDF, and carrying around sub boxes that weigh much more than needed?

HellsRise
05-03-2009, 12:40 PM
You're a piece of **** drpeeb.

Hardcore necromancy.

SicAudio
05-03-2009, 01:24 PM
Wow, where do i start..."worst sounding wood on earth" Haha, ok, ive used partical board on 95% of my boxes and i have yet to notice a difference between PA and MDF...second of all, the closest cabinet shop charges $45 a sheet of MDF, and the closest HD is 30 miles...you will not hear a difference between a properly build PA box and MDF box.
wrong! the density of mdf has a huge impact on sound because it doen's flex like PB does.

the only real issue with particle board is splitting when screwing it together.

PB is just as rigid (if not more so) as mdf and weighs less. That being said there should be no audible difference. And even if it were less rigid you could always uses dowels or threaded rod to brace the box which many people, including myself do anyways.

what the hell are you smoking idiot?

Ive never built a box from it but if you use good glue and brads i dont see why it wouldn't work. or if you wanted to use screws be sure to counter sink and pre-drill all your holes a good amount to avoid splitting.

I guarante all the PB boxes that everyone claims they have seen break or "blow apart" it was due to a split that was already there caused by a screw or screws. also could be due to poor gluing which jeasily could happen to an mdf enclosure if you dont know what you are doing.

wrong again noob!

FYI Most house floors and exterior walls are made from PB. if it wasn't strong they wouldn't use it. just my 2 (maybe 3) cents

yeah they use it for a subfloor on a 16" on center 2x6 8 10 12 ect frame moron it doesnt have to be very tough. they also use cheap *** 3/8" osb on the outside walls but you dont make boxes out of that either moron!

Equals

Points for PB

- Cheaper than MDF

Points for MDF

- ???

density density and I will say it again DENSITY . IF IT DIDNT MAKE A DIFFERENCE EVERY HOME THEATER SPEAKER COMPANY IN THE WORLD WOULD USE PB OVER MDF . jesus h fking christ how come so many people are this stupid?

snb778
05-03-2009, 01:27 PM
Thanks for the input guys, but the problem is just that: There ISNT a Home Depot or Lowe's around, the closest one is an hour and a half away, and I dont think I will be fitting a sheet of MDF in my 98 Grand Am. Any MDF I ordered would have to be special ordered, and be hella expensive, but I guess if thats what it takes, I will just have to do it.

sounds like the best option is to just have someone make a box for you

ehhhhhhhhhh damit to old thread.... oh well... still seems to be controversial...... I've heard you can un-screw and re-screw into PB more without having the holes get stretched..... I had a PB box with my 2x15" Type R's.... was a great box

michaellane
05-03-2009, 01:29 PM
dude draw up ur specs on the box. drive to lowes and get them to cut the box for you and put it in your car and drive home to build it.

SicAudio
05-03-2009, 01:30 PM
the post is like 3.5 yrs old but I had to say what I said. bad thing on this forum is that everyone says **** w/o proof. and steer people in the wrong direction.

tyler_fitz
05-03-2009, 01:34 PM
i'm still laughing at the fact that most of these people are confusing particle board with osb.

if you've seen a house with particleboard floors... well, you haven't cuz thats just retarded...

MDF:
http://www.germes-online.com/direct/dbimage/50346326/MDF.jpg

Particle board:
http://www.germes-online.com/direct/dbimage/50333644/Particle_Board.jpg

OSB:
http://eurasiansupply.com/eurasianconstruction/images/OSB-Oriented_Strand_Board.jpg

depending on the application (lower power), particle board would be just fine for an enclosure.

Right now, in hutchinson kansas, lowe's sells mdf for 27.xx a sheet. they offer a cutting service, first two cuts are free, after that its .25 a cut (usually no one gives a **** so you probably wont get charged regardless of how many cuts you have). i'd suggest getting the wood cut just enough to fit into your vehicle because the quality of the cuts depend on who is cutting it, and there is no guarantee that the cuts will be square. or maybe just add an inch to each dimension.

agh, why the **** am i even explaining this, the op is has probably gone through 38 boxes by now.

SicAudio
05-03-2009, 01:37 PM
the op was using an Re sub tho not low power at all lolz and some houses depending on the builder still use osb and PB mdf is an upgrade. and i have left MDF outside all winter before then cut a few inches off and used it just fine, thats why mdf is required in homes where there is water, because it doesn't swell :)

RAM_Designs
05-03-2009, 01:44 PM
the op was using an Re sub tho not low power at all lolz and some houses depending on the builder still use osb and PB mdf is an upgrade. and i have left MDF outside all winter before then cut a few inches off and used it just fine, thats why mdf is required in homes where there is water, because it doesn't swell :)

1) The RE8 doesn't need a lot of power...nor does the SR.

2) I build apartments here in Dallas...I have never seen MDF or PB on a job site in the last 10 years(as long as I have been on job sites, ie: I have never seen it). All flooring and roofing is done with OSB.

3) And MDF does swell. My 3/4" MDF swelled to 1" after it got wet one time.

Farmacist
05-03-2009, 01:47 PM
get HDF if you can find it = High Density Fiberboard, It's kinda hard to find but its totally worth it.

RAM_Designs
05-03-2009, 01:49 PM
get HDF if you can find it = High Density Fiberboard, It's kinda hard to find but its totally worth it.

I don't think I'd be able to carry my boxes anymore if I did that. I've though about getting 1" MDF($35 a sheet here), and then I realized that a 4x8 sheet would just be ridiculous to work with.

snfsh79077
05-03-2009, 01:58 PM
1) The RE8 doesn't need a lot of power...nor does the SR.

2) I build apartments here in Dallas...I have never seen MDF or PB on a job site in the last 10 years(as long as I have been on job sites, ie: I have never seen it). All flooring and roofing is done with OSB.

3) And MDF does swell. My 3/4" MDF swelled to 1" after it got wet one time.

x2 mdf will swell and mold. Particle board is ok to use for very low power applications. Is it the best to use? No but can be. Reason why some home theater company's use it for their boxes.

My family owns a cabinet business and I have never seen mdf or particle on job sites. Its always osb.

Interesting. Where would you put HDF with birch? I've never seen HDF either

snfsh79077
05-03-2009, 02:00 PM
I don't think I'd be able to carry my boxes anymore if I did that. I've though about getting 1" MDF($35 a sheet here), and then I realized that a 4x8 sheet would just be ridiculous to work with.

A friend and I built a 4 cuft box out of 1" years ago and **** that was a ***** to work with and was heavy as hell.

cheeseburger35
05-03-2009, 02:09 PM
hdf looks the same as the picture that was posted up a few posts of particle board they accidently gave me some of that at one time... and it was crap.. it split like a mother ugh... i have some 1" mdf that was sweet to work with .. also yes mdf will swell like a mother... i'll post a pic ...

cheeseburger35
05-03-2009, 02:17 PM
Look keep it simple mdf is not that expensive first of all... And you get 5 free cuts when you buy a sheet at< home depot or Lowe's >. Just have your measurements on you and they will cut the sides ,top ,back ,bottom and front making it way easier to transport home. And unless you have a crazy box all you will have left to do is cut your holes. And maybe make some angle cuts and liquid nail and screw it together <virtually no mess>. I figure 25 for wood, 5 for liquid nail and clear silicone , 2.50 wood screws, 4 bucks for 4 bags of polly fill ,hell 2.50 for spray glue and 5-10 for carpet <etc> your at like 40-55 bucks thats not bad, with tax figure 60... Whatever you do have them make the cuts they have vacuum saws on a cut table so measurements are dead on and its fast and saves a lot of time and its safer on your lungs considering most cutting done there

and your prices are way off just fyi....

SicAudio
05-03-2009, 02:25 PM
it will swell at the edges, I buy my mdf from a mill not the cheap crap big box hardware stores sell. the stuff i buy from the mill, is cabinet grade not builders grade so it has a slightly dif glue composition so it reduces swelling, some at the edges but thats it.
and in my house all the flooring in the bathrooms and kitchen are mdf not osb the rest of the home is osb, and believe me I paid a shitload extra for it, (which is also why I said it is an upgrade) My wifes family owns a very large construction company in Utah and so does my distant family. Adams construction - wife and Big D for me. and all of their construction (Adams) uses mdf on all subflooring.

if you have ever seen masonite (1/8" thick panel board) that is HDF and for most people it does not work well for boxes because it is to dense to work with effectively.

cheeseburger35
05-03-2009, 02:26 PM
http://i39.tinypic.com/148nbeg.jpg

http://i41.tinypic.com/2lxgimf.jpg

SicAudio
05-03-2009, 02:26 PM
around here lowes and hd sell 3/4 mdf for about 30$ a sheet mine costs 40 but like i said it is commercial grade not builder grade.

cheeseburger35
05-03-2009, 02:27 PM
top pic is some of the same sheet i just accidently left a piece outside when it rained.. the 2nd pic is hdf...

SicAudio
05-03-2009, 02:28 PM
that 2nd picture is PB :) but yes standard builders grade mdf will swell if you soak it like that peice obviously was. I didn't mean it wont swell in standing water lolz any wood will. but on edge in rain ect usually only the edges swell.

cheeseburger35
05-03-2009, 02:32 PM
wrong dude... i was rained on in a gravel driveway i don't get standing water on the gravel drive at all....

RAM_Designs
05-03-2009, 02:55 PM
that 2nd picture is PB :) but yes standard builders grade mdf will swell if you soak it like that peice obviously was. I didn't mean it wont swell in standing water lolz any wood will. but on edge in rain ect usually only the edges swell.

So you say that a construction company that your family owns uses MDF for sub-floor, instead of OSB. I know for a fact that the flooring on a job site gets beat to hell and rained on like no other. Very rarely will the floor not get wet by the time construction is finished....and normally it gets soaked(ie: just straight getting rained on after being laid down, getting rained on while it's sitting out being unused, wind blowing rain in through a window hole that hasn't had a window set in yet, or being leaked on from an above floor during rain).

And even if it does just "swell on the edges", then it's inferior to OSB, since OSB does not swell dues to the treatment done around the edges of the panels(which to my knowledge MDF does not have treated edges, at least not that I have seen). I just fail to see how swelled up MDF passes inspection.

mr.michael
05-03-2009, 02:57 PM
mdf is denser then pb, making it stronger and better imo

snfsh79077
05-03-2009, 03:07 PM
So you say that a construction company that your family owns uses MDF for sub-floor, instead of OSB. I know for a fact that the flooring on a job site gets beat to hell and rained on like no other. Very rarely will the floor not get wet by the time construction is finished....and normally it gets soaked(ie: just straight getting rained on after being laid down, getting rained on while it's sitting out being unused, wind blowing rain in through a window hole that hasn't had a window set in yet, or being leaked on from an above floor during rain).

And even if it does just "swell on the edges", then it's inferior to OSB, since OSB does not swell dues to the treatment done around the edges of the panels(which to my knowledge MDF does not have treated edges, at least not that I have seen). I just fail to see how swelled up MDF passes inspection.

x2

SicAudio
05-03-2009, 03:21 PM
wrong dude... i was rained on in a gravel driveway i don't get standing water on the gravel drive at all....

laying flat on the ground right? so therefore standing water on edge the water mostly runs off.
as far as using mdf in homes ect they only do it in water areas and it is sealed and uses a totally dif type of glue. we are not talking 200k houses here I am talking about 5-800k homes. and they do use osb under it as well. just because you have never seen or used it does not mean it isnt done.

RAM_Designs
05-03-2009, 03:29 PM
laying flat on the ground right? so therefore standing water on edge the water mostly runs off.
as far as using mdf in homes ect they only do it in water areas and it is sealed and uses a totally dif type of glue. we are not talking 200k houses here I am talking about 5-800k homes. and they do use osb under it as well. just because you have never seen or used it does not mean it isnt done.

I'm just amazed that it is done, especially in "water areas." I could understand it being done in the desert, but not in a humid/wet environment. And it doesn't matter how expensive the house is. Million dollar houses here use OSB/plywood, and you yourself even admitted that it swells on the edges...I just fail to see why they'd use something that's 4x's as expensive and swells, instead of using an already proven method that doesn't swell.

Out of curiosity, what do they use for the exterior of the house, as far as what goes on directly over the outside of the wall?

snfsh79077
05-03-2009, 03:30 PM

water area's huh?? I think I can pretty much vouch for some wet areas :laugh: and I have never seen it used on even million plus homes. Before katrina my dad built his house which was appraised at 750k and osb was used.

alvitae
05-03-2009, 04:03 PM
For boxes mdf of course, The denser box material the better. As far as houses go particle board or mdf is fine on floors...Of cheap trailer houses. I've done a few floor replacements because of washing machine leaks in trailers and PB and mdf ***** for flooring. On all the houses I've built we always use Gold edge. (Tounge & groove1 1/8 Osb) that is both on the starter and luxury homes.

SicAudio
05-03-2009, 04:17 PM
they use osb and buffalo board over the top of that for exterior. but the mdf they use is not the same as what you use for boxes it has special glues and waterproofers in it and it is an upgrade , not standard building technique. for arguments sake the majority of homes use osb as subflooring.

they also use it alot for tile and linoleum backer.

alvitae
05-03-2009, 04:25 PM
they use osb and buffalo board over the top of that for exterior. but the mdf they use is not the same as what you use for boxes it has special glues and waterproofers in it and it is an upgrade , not standard building technique. for arguments sake the majority of homes use osb as subflooring.

they also use it alot for tile and linoleum backer.

You could be right. I've never seen it done as you described but it may be better and just not as cost effective perhaps.

drpeeb
05-03-2009, 09:08 PM
You're a piece of **** drpeeb.

Hardcore necromancy.

What caused that?