PDA

View Full Version : 12 brahma ported help?

sound giant
12-31-2004, 01:54 AM
hey i have my brahma in a slot ported box 1.9 cu ft without the sub in it. im not sure wat the box is tuned to but im guessing about 40hz? well anyway, it sounds good now but i was lookin for just a lil more output. i have roughly 940 watts goin to it now. Now will going with a larger box sacrifice SQ?, and can anybody help me with suggestions on ported (slot or round) box size and freq?????

sound giant
12-31-2004, 11:57 AM
:help:

mrray13
12-31-2004, 12:07 PM
what are ur port dimensions? width, height and length? with that, we can give u a good guess as to what ur current box is tuned too. 40hz is actually a pretty good tuning to pick up spl.

with ur brahma bieng a 12" the 1.9ft^3 b4 sub displacement would be a little small. i'd have to look up the brahma to see what adire recommends...bb6p recommends a 2.5ft^3 (after port and sub) enclosure for a single 12..so a larger box, in this case would help.

if tuned correctly, a larger box will have the same sq as a smaller one. but sq is extremely subjective..so that would be up to ur ears.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :peace:

sound giant
12-31-2004, 12:22 PM
what would be a good tuning freq? i hear alot of people say 28-35 hz. also is there a difference in sound with round tube ports and slot ports???

g30ffr3y
12-31-2004, 12:35 PM
what would be a good tuning freq? i hear alot of people say 28-35 hz. also is there a difference in sound with round tube ports and slot ports???

ive built both round and vented boxes and i would say
they are the same... the benefit to the slot port is that
you can make a wicked huge port without all kinds of
elbow pipes for the PVC with a round port...

but the slot port requires a more careful build... i like
my round port because the box can be smaller overall
due to less port displacement...

and ive got all these round tubes laying around from
my old prefab bandpass box... it had 6 ports... hehehe...
ive also stolen its terminal cups... stupid prefab box is
about one quick decision to getting cut up and designed
into something that doesnt sound like ***...

mrray13
12-31-2004, 12:44 PM

adire recommends 30hz.......most ppl tune 12's in the 35-38 range...gives a lil more output without sacrificing a bunch of sq.....

some argue that slot ports sound better and that round (esp aero) ports are louder. i believe the round is louder theory is proven, but only on a mic...not necessarly enough difference to hear.

i've built both round and slot..i believe the sq is about the same..as is output to my ear.

i like slots better because u can have more port area without using multiple ports. a similar sized round port has an advantage in that u can build a slightly smaller enclosure as it takes up less space.

so, like so many things, it's up to what u want to deal with. slotports usually have another advantage. they don't cost any extra as it's usually made outa the same piece of wood u bought to build the box....

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :peace:

sound giant
01-04-2005, 07:22 PM
how much would a 2.5 cu ft. box with sub in cost, tuned at 35 hz with slot port and a lil thicker mdf on front piece of wood?...mmray edit:shipped to south carolina. rough estimate.

eddiem67
01-11-2005, 02:25 PM
2.0 net is all you need, for a brahma 12. I got my specs from Mr Dan Wiggens himself. I have a slot ported one tuned to 25Hz, ran 1000watts to it and it was flexing my roof and still sounded awesome. Let me know if your interested, I sold the sub and the box is just laying around.

BJohnson05
03-31-2005, 01:50 PM
i have a brahma 12 with a concept hp 1000 (1500 watts) pushing it. i want to tune it to 30hz, and i need a box design, any sugestions?