PDA

View Full Version : is this true about sealed boxes

j0sh_o6
12-31-2004, 02:40 AM
i was talkin to a friend of mine that knows alot about this stuff but im not sure if he knows what hes talking about when it comes to sealed enclosures i have a 12" XXX in a sealed box approx 1.2 cu ft the deminsions are about 9 deep 23 wide and 14 tall dont remember exact deminsions but he is claiming that truely anythign behind the sub is the air space and anything to the side doesnt matter and i should of make my box deep and not wide i made a picture that is not to scale but close to what i have and in red is describing what he is saying about the airspace behind the box

from what i've read is that when it comes to sealed enclosures so long as the correct air space is there deminsions dont matter

http://www.pymatuningholeshotraceway.com/cgiproxy/xxx.jpg

ANeonRider
12-31-2004, 03:11 AM
Doesn't matter, just leave enough airspace (like 1-2") for the pole piece to properly vent & cool.

desertheat
12-31-2004, 03:17 AM
exactly. Airspace is airspace, sounds like he has allot of airspace between the ears.

j0sh_o6
12-31-2004, 03:22 AM
does anyone know the exact depth on a XXX from that hole in the back to the mounting flange piece?
i never did measure mine before i put it in would like to make sure i have atleast 1 inch inbetween there

newb
12-31-2004, 03:32 AM
I dont know, I might agree with your friend. My friend had a setup like that. He had a S12L7, both boxes was custom made by a local audio shop. One was the same as you described and the other was deeper. Both box was 2.0cu ft. sealed both were tested in the same car, amp, gain, etc...etc...anyways, the one box that was deeper sounded better. The bass was more alive, hit deeper, and didnt roll off like the other one did.

j0sh_o6
12-31-2004, 04:10 AM
well i have enough wood left over i may just have to build me another box now i emailed re before i built my box and they "We would recommend .8-1.2 cuft sealed after subwoofer displacement (approximately .2 cuft). Dimensions for sealed enclosures are not too important provided that the final volumes are correct."

so i made my box about 1.2cu ft cause i figured only running a 1200 watt amp i should lean towards the bigger side

well heres what i have
1 - jbl 1200.1 amp @ 1ohm to
1 - RE XXX 12

i want sealed but also want good sq and loud
if anyone could help me out maybe i could make another box and make it better?