PDA

View Full Version : Does port noise even matter when you have a seperate trunk?

bcarpenterfhl
12-30-2004, 12:57 PM
not that this applies to me, but i was just wondering. by seperate trunk i mean a trunk that isnt connected to the car's cabin, so like an A4 or a civic or something...

gunny86
01-02-2005, 03:08 AM
if the trunk is sealed off from the cabin (seats folded up, etc) i dont think its a problem. but personally it makes me mad just knowing my box has port noise so i try to avoid it. Other than just not being able to hear the noise im not sure if it couses other problems or not, i wouldn't think so but im not positive.

Nikuk
01-03-2005, 01:09 PM
Yes it matters.

Port linearity is your friend.

theCybe
01-04-2005, 12:33 AM
Umm. The seats fold down in the A4. So, doesn't that mean it's connected?

And of course there are hatch civics, sedans, coupes; Maybe you should clarify about 'not being connected.'

There's an A4 Avant which is basically a station wagon;

Clarity! :)

bcarpenterfhl
01-04-2005, 02:13 AM
its obvious what i meant. perhaps you lack the intelligence to figure it out.

gunny86
01-04-2005, 03:52 AM
i think what bcarpenterfhl's original question was asking if the box w/port noise is in a different part of the car such as a trunk(seats folded up etc), will it hurt anything or cause any ill effects. Also if you have port noise it doesn't mean that your port isnt linear, or that it is some how built wrong, but maybe it just doesn't have enough surface area which can cause port noise.

Obviously you would want to avoid port noise if you can, and if you have built many enclosures you will know that somtimes trunk contraints such as the trunk opening will only allow for you to build a box so big, which will also only allow you to have so much internal air space for your enclosure. Which will only allow you to build a port so big. All im saying is that i have run into problems in the past where i could only build a port with 13in^2 of port area when it should have more.

So maybe he has run into a problem like this and is just wondering if port noise will matter because the enclosure is going into a sealed off trunk.

just my 2 cents, correct me if im wrong

jtomsic
01-04-2005, 11:47 AM
you dont want port noise no matter what ur box is...

tRiGgEr
01-04-2005, 12:07 PM
Port noise bad! bass good! Me trigger, you stupid.

Even just the fact of knowing it's there, It blows. no pun intended.

gunny86
01-04-2005, 04:00 PM
well i have been saying you dont want port noise all along, but i think he is wondering if it will make a difference for SQ, SPL or any difference at all if you can not directly hear the port, such as it being in a trunk with the seats folded up.

the_flatlander
01-05-2005, 09:20 PM
bottom line is YOU DON'T WANT PORT NOISE

bcarpenterfhl
01-05-2005, 11:55 PM
thanks buddy...a little late....