PDA

View Full Version : Help me complete my list

psycho72
12-28-2004, 03:07 PM
I am compiling a list of woofers that I am considering from the top dogs but part of my decision is dependent on how much space their boxes take up. I don't need exact dims only how how many cubes. Is there a simple calc that I can setup in a spread sheet? I mean I would of course plug in the key specs (whatever those are - vas, xmax, whatever??). Can you guys help me with the actual calc and the bits of info needed and I can make the sheet and the formulas. And I need this for both sealed and ported. Is this possible?

InhumanAcura
12-28-2004, 03:15 PM
Impossible to say. Your not going to learn anything about it behind a computer, getting in the car and figuring out what works is the only way to tell...

psycho72
12-28-2004, 03:24 PM
Impossible to say. Your not going to learn anything about it behind a computer, getting in the car and figuring out what works is the only way to tell...

This is not so I can learn this is so I can choose a brand and model based on certain bits of info that I find important one of which is how much space will be used. I have built one box before actually I built up the floor of my acura integra and the box is in the spare tire well, the amps beside it and covered by the original factory carpet so if you look in my trunk you see nothing. I can even drop my seats and put stuff in the space. Again I just want a close approximation so that I can see if x woofer will require 2 ft while y woofer which is slightly more expensive and has higher x max may allow a 1 ft enclosure thus making the more expensive woof worth the money in my eyes.

packerfan
12-28-2004, 04:21 PM
Just get some ****ing subs, jeez.

squeak9798
12-28-2004, 04:29 PM
I guess I'm not sure what you need to calculate? All the manufacturer's should give you appropriate box sizes....nothing really to calculate there.

ngsm13
12-28-2004, 04:55 PM
Take the Plunge....DO IT!!!!!

Two Brahma 12's, Two DP 12's, Two Magnum d2 12's, etc. Thos would be top pics...each needing a total of 4-6 cubes NET (4 being a minimum).

No offense, but I posted in your very first original thread here. AND, your are making this WAYYYYYYYYY too hard on yourself...honestly...pick one of the above and don't look back! You'll be happy no matter what. peace

NG

psycho72
12-28-2004, 05:01 PM
I guess I'm not sure what you need to calculate? All the manufacturer's should give you appropriate box sizes....nothing really to calculate there.

Really my only problem is with the acendant audio woofers as their site says nothing about enclosures.

PS the biggest problem in making a choice is not what woofer but rather what do I compromise since I don't have big money. I am basically trying to find the magic driver behind all those wonderful ones you mentioned. And that will actually move with my existing amp until I get some more money for an amp with balls.

EFFENDI
12-28-2004, 05:07 PM
Ascendant didntt even have their order page up last time I checked. I would go with a more established company anyway. Just get some Brahmas and be done with it. Do you overanalyze every purchase you make???

eg.
friend: "we need some toilet paper"
other friend: "i'll go pick up some charmin"
you: "Well, hold on a second, we have so many options....there is quilted, double quilted, 2 ply, 3-ply, 4-ply...am I going to get sufficent coverage and durability per sheet?? wil that roll fit my existing toilet paper holder?? is the shade of white going to match my walls?? does it contain recycled fibers??........
.................................................. .......................................
... Oh dear God the world is coming to and end!!!!!!"

psycho72
12-28-2004, 06:00 PM
Ascendant didntt even have their order page up last time I checked. I would go with a more established company anyway. Just get some Brahmas and be done with it. Do you overanalyze every purchase you make???

eg.
friend: "we need some toilet paper"
other friend: "i'll go pick up some charmin"
you: "Well, hold on a second, we have so many options....there is quilted, double quilted, 2 ply, 3-ply, 4-ply...am I going to get sufficent coverage and durability per sheet?? wil that roll fit my existing toilet paper holder?? is the shade of white going to match my walls?? does it contain recycled fibers??........
.................................................. .......................................
... Oh dear God the world is coming to and end!!!!!!"

LOL, in that case I can simply rip open the pack and feel first hand......yes I am that psycho....hence the name, not just a name!!!! And for the record...it's all about Northern baby....using charmin I end up wiping my *** with my fingers!!!

EFFENDI
12-29-2004, 01:23 AM
people who are psychotic......geez.

Acidburn
12-29-2004, 01:27 AM
you have something against we OCD people? eh? **adjusts things on desk**

d cha p
12-29-2004, 08:37 AM
LOL, in that case I can simply rip open the pack and feel first hand......yes I am that psycho....hence the name, not just a name!!!! And for the record...it's all about Northern baby....using charmin I end up wiping my *** with my fingers!!!

Lol.... your not really OCD then. We real OCD people know that charmin is the only choice. Charmin brand toilet paper is the only one that allows us to wipe our a$$ 400 times without a chafed butt hole.

TimberJon
12-29-2004, 10:50 AM
Listen to NSGM, he knows his chit.

I would suggest a JL 13W7 if you want some bump. But i dont think itll work with your current amp. JL has excellent enclosures, they just arent much to look at and that turns people away. You want flash? you can go with the good looks (note: just good looks) of the Audiobahn enclosures, and put ANYthing in them. You can even just get them loaded with subs for 500-600$.

Im such a n00b. But i have to point this out, you wanted a list of subs. Then you said you dont need the list of subs, but the dimensions of the boxes. The top dogs can work in a variety of different enclosures. And at the top dogs websites, you can view the needed box stats for sealed and ported enclosures, if provided. They should have all the calc info you need. And you can use such tools as www.bcae1.com

Pick a few subs, look up their mounting depth, and the volume needed in the box. Then go box hunting, look at all of them. If the listing doesnt tell you the box stats, screw it and find another. Check all major subwoofer manufacturers first. Just match up a box with the cubes needed for your sub. or go and LOOK at the boxes that go with the subs mentioned in this thread. Hope that helps!

EFFENDI
12-30-2004, 03:16 AM
you have something against we OCD people? eh? **adjusts things on desk**
I work with them on a daily basis, of course I do ;)

Acidburn
12-30-2004, 03:30 AM
I work with them on a daily basis, of course I do ;)
i dont blame you, we are annoying lol