PDA

View Full Version : POLL! What brand of deck do you feel is the most popular?

desertheat
12-27-2004, 05:27 PM
Check it out and vote for the most popular deck manufacturer of all time!

davidfre21
12-27-2004, 05:29 PM
done a few times before but hey i get a free post :)

pioneer :) (never owned anything else)

desertheat
12-27-2004, 05:31 PM
Thought it would be fun :) Then narrow it down to the most popular deck of all time :)

3.5Max6spd
12-27-2004, 05:38 PM
popular to who? lil' kids? cheap people? name association a/k/a heard/seen it on mtv?

popular as in prominent in pop culture?

And what does 'most popular 'of all time' imply to? Very few have been doing this since the 70's....

desertheat
12-27-2004, 05:42 PM
<< since the 80's and asking overall what you people feel is the most popular deck made.

To clerify I mean a combination of highest sales, resale value, reliability, features ect.. Overall the company that has been doing it right the longest and not cutting nasty corners on there lower end product line, but offering a quality product thoughout the product line :)

squeak9798
12-27-2004, 05:54 PM
I voted Pioneer cause that's what I've always used and liked. Never let me or anyone I know down.

Eclipse makes good stuff, but I don't think they'll ever live down the "E-skip" era that plagues them. That and a lot of people are having some pretty bad problems with turn on/off pop with last years offerings (specifically the 8443).

Kenwood ***** ***, plain and simple. Had one of their HU's break 5 times in 6 months....stupid POS

audiolife
12-27-2004, 07:29 PM
most popular manufacuter isnt even listed lol but over all pioneer should have this easy with whats listed. best deck of all time (as a measuring stick) would be the alpine 7909. back in the 80's kenwood was pretty good now they are very complex and have tooooo many moving parts

desertheat
12-27-2004, 08:07 PM
hmmm so far my vote went to alpine. We still have around 5-6 80's and 90's alpine decks running strong with only 1 going bad "due to a 44 ouncer hitting the dash when the brakes were hit hard to avoid a crash, dumped a few ounces into the tape slot haha!".

Out of the 3 pioneer decks we have only 1 from the late 90's that is going great in my dads camp trailor. He loves it. The rest died if natural causes

I had a few eclipse decks in the late 90's when they first became "eclipse" and do not get me started on those peices of crap. I know they have come along ways but the early units should have been used as poor oem replacements only for toyota.

had one clarion cd player from 2000, hated it but it worked until the day it sold and shipped to some kid.

I had allot of the early Kenwood excelon, however ya spell it decks. All from 99-01. Man I LOVED those decks. They rocked! I liked them just as much as the alpines I was running at the time. Sad to see kenwood going the way of swapmart looking decks and amps. The older stuff had class an potential.

AznRevlAzn
12-27-2004, 08:44 PM
Pioneer hands down

EFFENDI
12-27-2004, 09:00 PM
!!!!!~delco~!!!!!

green_slip
12-27-2004, 09:05 PM
Eclipse makes good stuff, but I don't think they'll ever live down the "E-skip" era that plagues them. That and a lot of people are having some pretty bad problems with turn on/off pop with last years offerings (specifically the 8443).

Turn on/off pop? What's the deal with that? I've never heard of that nor had any problems whatsoever with my 8443. The only reason Eclipse will never be the most popular as far as pop-culture and overall sales etc. is because not many people have ever heard of them and most local shops don't sell them. Another reason is because they aren't as aesthetically pleasing as some others such as the Alpines or Pioneers.

adam71
12-28-2004, 05:03 AM
Oh come on man........don't hate. My next deck will be less aesthetically pleasing than any eclipse ever made and rest assured it will out perform any Eclipse ever made.

Truth of the matter is this. Pioneer will always be more popular than Eclipse for one reason...........they've been around alot longer. Thats not to say Eclipse makes awful stuff. Its also not to say that Pioneer hasn't put out great products all those years either. I can tell you first hand that they have. I've owned about 15 decks in my days (1 - Eclipse) (1 - Alpine) (1- Denon) and the rest were Pioneer so you can say I go with what I trust.

3.5Max6spd
12-28-2004, 09:40 AM
Turn on/off pop? What's the deal with that? I've never heard of that nor had any problems whatsoever with my 8443. The only reason Eclipse will never be the most popular as far as pop-culture and overall sales etc. is because not many people have ever heard of them and most local shops don't sell them. Another reason is because they aren't as aesthetically pleasing as some others such as the Alpines or Pioneers.

he's refering to a handful of people at ECA that may have had this problem- my 8443 has been great to date in a years a use- I can easily find hundreds of recent threads of people having problems with various Pioneer models if I start searching through forums- there will always be some bad apples out, particularly now in the internet sales era and the amount of newbs that probably take it upon themselves to wire them into their cars half assed

BTW I voted Pioneer as the most popular.....well because they are and are the 'cheapest' and do a poor job in restricting their stuff

squeak9798
12-28-2004, 09:45 AM
he's refering to a handful of people at ECA that may have had this problem-

Soooo.....now you know the thoughts that are in my mind?

squeak9798
12-28-2004, 09:47 AM
Turn on/off pop? What's the deal with that? I've never heard of that nor had any problems whatsoever with my 8443.

There have been quite a few people that I know both locally and in internet world that have been having problems eliminating the turn on/off pop in those units.

Another reason is because they aren't as aesthetically pleasing as some others such as the Alpines or Pioneers.

Blasphemy! I actually like the look of the Eclipse units better than most Pioneer/Alpine units

avistar23
12-28-2004, 09:50 AM
I own an eclipse but pioneer is by far the most popular name here.

-Mike

green_slip
12-28-2004, 02:44 PM
Oh come on man........don't hate. My next deck will be less aesthetically pleasing than any eclipse ever made and rest assured it will out perform any Eclipse ever made.

LOL your next deck will be less aesthetically pleasing than any Eclipse ever made eh? A bit contraditory to say the least...

And I wont even ask what your next deck is going to be, because out performing any Eclipse ever made is not going to happen as easily as you make it sound. And if your next HU is soooooo great please explain (in detail) why it's so much better than the top of the line Eclipse decks.

Squeak: I know a lot of people on these forums find the Eclipse decks appealing to the eye (I'm definitely one of them) but there just isn't enuff buttons or lights for the young teens of today, if you know what I mean, at least that is my opinion.

adam71
12-29-2004, 12:08 AM
LOL your next deck will be less aesthetically pleasing than any Eclipse ever made eh? A bit contraditory to say the least...

And I wont even ask what your next deck is going to be, because out performing any Eclipse ever made is not going to happen as easily as you make it sound. And if your next HU is soooooo great please explain (in detail) why it's so much better than the top of the line Eclipse decks.

First of all, my next deck will be the DEX-P9. No bells, no whistles, or slide shows. Just a plain blue display with a black background. I happen to like this look but I also like colorful displays as well. I'm moving up to a P9 simply for the quality of the deck.

I'll list whatever reasons come to mind that make it better than any Eclipse model.

- Copper plated chassis
- 4v pre outs
- dual 24bit burr brown d/a converters
- NO internal amplifier to cut down on heat dissipation and leave room for a bigger output stage
- digital input
- digital output (which I will use to connect to the DEQ-P9)

This is all I can think of at the moment. This model is comparable to the Clarion DRZ-9255.

-Adam

desertheat
12-29-2004, 12:32 AM
hahaha those specs on that deck have been in production since 1999 with the alpine 7949. It has a copper chassis, optical out, 4v preouts tested at 5v, no internal amp ect.. :) simple no frills and can be found for $175 in good shape :)

adam71
12-29-2004, 01:06 AM
sorry double posted

adam71
12-29-2004, 01:07 AM
hahaha those specs on that deck have been in production since 1999 with the alpine 7949. It has a copper chassis, optical out, 4v preouts tested at 5v, no internal amp ect.. :)

First of all these are "features" not specs. Second of all just because has those features doesn't mean they will meat up to the specs to justify it being a high performing deck. The Alpine, Pioneer, and Clarion flagships all have those features but they also have great specs and performance. I challenge you to find a P9 for that little money.

simple no frills and can be found for $175 in good shape :)

I've never seen a deck of that amplitude go for that little in good shape. I've seen older Pioneer ODR decks on ebay that went for twice as much. So I think you're talking a little shyt on that statement. :(

mattj
12-29-2004, 01:08 AM
I change 25% of the vote with the 5 alpines ive owned; with the 20th post on this thread.
:D

desertheat
12-29-2004, 01:13 AM
First of all these are "features" not specs. Second of all just because has those features doesn't mean they will meat up to the specs to justify it being a high performing deck. The Alpine, Pioneer, and Clarion flagships all have those features but they also have great specs and performance. I challenge you to find a P9 for that little money.

I've never seen a deck of that amplitude go for that little in good shape. I've seen older Pioneer ODR decks on ebay that went for twice as much. So I think you're talking a little shyt on that statement. :(

My 7949 in 99% mint condition that has been in car less than 1 1/2 years sold for $200.00 the other day which is what they go for. An no I would not take your challenge to find your pio for $175, that is the point :) I saw it on ebay for a ton of cash when the alpine flagship of a few years back with similar specs as in the 7949 or 7969 both can be had for sub $300 or sub $200!

mrray13
12-29-2004, 01:16 AM
i voted alpine.....i hated them in the late 80's early 90's, cuz that is what everyone had. i personally ran a yamaha. but i love and miss my cda7894....just an awesome deck.

but after reading the initial post..i'd say pioneer is the most popular of all time. one reason is walmart, radio shack kmart, cc and bb all carry pioneer. they can be had anywhere for just about any price.

as too the eclipse vs whoever......i've only seen one eclipse deck EVER with any kind of problem. it was an 5335 (or something along them lines) i was told that that model had a knack for skipping and every once on awhile u could find one that didn't. it was an un-internal amped version.

eclipse will never win this kind of arguement because u don't get the same amount of features for the price....i paid $425 for my alpine a few years ago..to get na eclipse with the same features would have put me in the $650 range. btw...i will be getting an eclipse 3434 tomorrow.....

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee ee :peace:

adam71
12-29-2004, 01:16 AM
ok, but I still don't see how this means this deck does NOT out perform any Eclipse deck. :uhoh:

audiolife
12-29-2004, 06:31 AM
alot of flagship decks had a copper chasis, my c-90 does and my 1999 flagship eclipse had it. my c-90 also has the fiber out and the volume control WONT send out a clipped signal as its also the only deck i know of that its face plate has its own power supply. the only drawback to the sony peice is its eq's are parametric and are computer adjusted so it will take a little more time to adjust.

supa_c
12-29-2004, 06:34 AM
Whats the reasoning behind the copper ?
I know the flagship Pioneer uses a copper chassis

audiolife
12-29-2004, 06:45 AM
its suppost to cut down on noise. lol imho its about as meaningful as $300 rca cables. lol

supa_c
12-29-2004, 07:09 AM
Monster cables ;)

EFFENDI
12-29-2004, 07:32 AM
Copper is useful in reducing RF and EM interference. Also it allows the manufacturer to charge more to the end-user for the unit.

audiolife
12-29-2004, 07:33 AM
if u have a noise problem (unless its a bad rca) changing brands very rarely corrects the problems. i have done enough non copper decks without noise (and used in comp both types) to say your ear couldnt tell the diff!!! oh boy!!! lol it does look pretty though and yuh that copper costs more than the regular stock they use but i doubt its 40 bucks more lol

mrray13
12-29-2004, 10:23 AM
ok, but I still don't see how this means this deck does NOT out perform any Eclipse deck. :uhoh:

i'd say it would easily out perform eclipse's low end decks....but head to head with eclipse's flagship....8volts of pre amp output with just 55ohms of impedence.

the eclipse flagship (http://www.eclipse-web.com/index_cd.html)

i mean, why would u want to compare it to the low to mid level stuff, when that's pioneer's top of the line? of course it should beat the lower end. if it is a better h/u then the 8454, then it is...but i'd say it's really close. and there probably isn't enough difference for the human ear to pick up.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :peace:

audiolife
12-29-2004, 10:30 AM
8 volts of preout doesnt mean a whole lot unless you cant get around noise or have generally crappy amps. the lower impedence means more

mrray13
12-29-2004, 11:05 AM
8 volts of preout doesnt mean a whole lot unless you cant get around noise or have generally crappy amps. the lower impedence means more

yeah, but 8>5...at least that's what my wife tells me.... :veryexci:

good thing i got a metric ruler...:hilariou:

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeee :peace:

JLCivic
12-29-2004, 11:21 AM
I voted Pioneer cause that's what I've always used and liked. Never let me or anyone I know down.

Kenwood ***** ***, plain and simple. Had one of their HU's break 5 times in 6 months....stupid POS

Eclipse has long since fixed the skipping problem, and the pop seems to be pretty much isolated to the 8443. Are those issues worse than Alpine's weak pre outs that they finally did something about in their '04 decks? There were countless posts from people on several forums complaining about the "weak sub out" on their alpines since I started on the forums in 01. Testing of some decks by forum members confirmed it. Alpine finally fixed the problem in this year's decks, and now their pre outs seem to be as strong as advertised.

I have used Eclipse decks for 10 years. I had one minor issue. My best friend ran an Alpine 7863. It crapped out 6 months later. Circuit City replaced it, and THAT 7863 crapped out 6 months later.

My point is, over the course of time, any manufacturer can have issues. The local shop has sold Eclipse since '92 or so. They stuck with Eclipse when they had the skipping issues, and since then(and before), they have had excellent results with Eclipse. Eclipse makes excellent sounding decks, and until I bought my RF 8250, Eclipse had made the best sounding decks I had used(having also used pioneer, kenwood, alpine, and clarion).

If Eclipse is not as popular, I can think of a few reasons why:

Their decks are not as flashy as many others
Their decks are not wh0red out everywhere like most other decks(you can find alpine, clarion, pioneer just about everywhere....authorized shops or not).

Eclipse has not been around quite as long as Alpine, Pioneer, Clarion, etc.

desertheat
12-29-2004, 11:31 AM
Monster cables ;)

Hahahahaha exactly :)

desertheat
12-29-2004, 11:44 AM
eclipse decks I think are high class, especially the 8443, that thing looks awsome. Simplicity can be overall the best. Also yes any deck can crap out, my oldest alpine in the family is pushing 20 years old now and I myself have never had one die from just simply failing ect but I have had several others die on me.... but then again I have never owned anything but the flagship alpine gear "except now, have a 9835 on order"

On the weak sub out deal, it seems it only affected a narrow band of alpine decks from the info I am seeing. I know my 1999 / 2000 / 2001 units all were rated at 4v and actually put out 5v unclipped as tested by many magazines. Looks like the had a two year batch of them from 02-03 like that. Glad to know the 04's were better. I will know as soon as I get the 9835 :)

I think in this day and age especially for the audiophilic basshead or just audiophile who wants a really nice deck for the money, I think alpine and eclipse are the only way to go.

JLCivic
12-29-2004, 01:43 PM
eclipse decks I think are high class, especially the 8443, that thing looks awsome. Simplicity can be overall the best. Also yes any deck can crap out, my oldest alpine in the family is pushing 20 years old now and I myself have never had one die from just simply failing ect but I have had several others die on me.... but then again I have never owned anything but the flagship alpine gear "except now, have a 9835 on order"

On the weak sub out deal, it seems it only affected a narrow band of alpine decks from the info I am seeing. I know my 1999 / 2000 / 2001 units all were rated at 4v and actually put out 5v unclipped as tested by many magazines. Looks like the had a two year batch of them from 02-03 like that. Glad to know the 04's were better. I will know as soon as I get the 9835 :)

I think in this day and age especially for the audiophilic basshead or just audiophile who wants a really nice deck for the money, I think alpine and eclipse are the only way to go.

That narrow band of decks went for a few years though. I saw it mostly on 7894s and the 7897(the testing done on that was not very impressive at all, and the local shop tested one for a customer, and the pre outs were pathetic...that shop doesn't sell alpine but installed one that a customer had).

Again, they have fixed the problem with the '04 decks, or atleast the testing I have seen indicates that they have. The 9835's pre outs put out rated voltage(or a little over) from the test results I have seen posted.

My point was that any manufacturer can have problems. If they problems are fixed, and the company has a pretty good rep for reliability, I wouldn't worry too much about it(whether the company is Eclipse, Alpine, Clarion*).

*the local shop had major reliability issues with clarion a couple of years ago. Error 6 codes coming up alot and some decks that were dead right out of the box. Clarion had a manufacturing issue and rectified it so it only affected the supply for a few months.

packerfan
12-29-2004, 02:26 PM
Your forgetting sony mobile es, those things owned.

JLCivic
12-29-2004, 02:47 PM
Your forgetting sony mobile es, those things owned.

Yep, those are very highly regarded decks.

supa_c
12-29-2004, 04:09 PM
You guys and your Eclipse....its funny.
Although it should be:
Peformance> Looks
Its not, its :
Looks> Peformance
Thats why Eclipse scores so low

JLCivic
12-29-2004, 04:35 PM
You guys and your Eclipse....its funny.
Although it should be:
Peformance> Looks
Its not, its :
Looks> Peformance
Thats why Eclipse scores so low

Yeah, it seems most people take looks over performance. That line of thinking baffles me, but to each their own, I guess.

supa_c
12-29-2004, 05:08 PM
Same here...
Ive never actually "used" an eclipse H/U, therefore i have no oppinion on them.

Bring97
12-29-2004, 05:51 PM
Their decks are not as flashy as many others
Their decks are not wh0red out everywhere like most other decks(you can find alpine, clarion, pioneer just about everywhere....authorized shops or not).

Eclipse has not been around quite as long as Alpine, Pioneer, Clarion, etc.
oh you forgot another reason some people are not willin to spend money on a great item just because its more expensive... i personally think that eclipse does make some of the best decks out there, of course im am partial though cause i own one. anyway, everyone is gunna have there own opinion on whats best to themselves so its always gunna just be back and forth

desertheat
12-30-2004, 01:29 PM
alpine is ahead..? what happened to the pio nazi's?

desertheat
12-31-2004, 07:13 PM
Everyone voted..?