PDA

View Full Version : making a center console

Insomniac119
12-23-2004, 07:05 PM
i have an '81 buick riviera with ugly *** seats. i'm going get some bucket seats and i want to make a center console to put in between them. it would run from underneath the dash and to the back of the front seats. it will also hold the head unit, mabye an in dash EQ if i can find one for cheap, cup holders, etc.

does anybody know of any tutorials or any links that would give me some good advise?

Strecker25
12-23-2004, 07:51 PM
look at the sticky, its about kick panels but basically the same idea, in your case maybe just jigsaw the base out of mdf and make a top piece like u would for kicks (more than one piece of your thinking multiple heights) and just wrap it in fleece to see what kind of shape you get.

Insomniac119
12-23-2004, 08:52 PM
i'm planning on making the top out of plastic. i'll cut up a cheap one you can buy from autozone and use the cup holders from it, use some ABS plastic, and some liquid plastic to mold it all together.

i'll make the bottom out of fiberglass to mold the exact shape of the floorboards and continue the fiberglass up to the top to connect to the plastic which i'll screw together or something (fiberglass doesn't addhere to plastic well at all).

sound like a good idea?

jellyfish420
12-24-2004, 02:33 AM
why does it need a bottom? no one will see it any way...i agree with above, jigsaw the sides out of wood and fiberglass the top, ive seen it done that way, looks real nice!

req
12-24-2004, 10:06 AM
:offtopic:

lol, ive been quoted again. thanks jellyfish ;)

jellyfish420
12-24-2004, 10:22 AM
i had to... that was funny *****!!

Acidburn
12-24-2004, 02:42 PM
hahahah i missed that one, what was req refering to there?

jellyfish420
12-24-2004, 05:00 PM
building a table saw out of a circular saw, popsicle sticks and semen...

req
12-25-2004, 12:59 AM
hahaha. >_<

it was quite funny i suppose. i thought everyone missed it :)

:offtopic:

anywho. centerconsoles are a pain in the *** to get perfect. your best bet is to build the whole frame outta seperate sections of wood, and stretch grill cloth over it, and glass the inside - or coat it with a layer of kittyhair\thickened fiberglass resin. then sand and piece it back together.