PDA

View Full Version : box questions?

95Prober
12-23-2004, 02:09 PM
hi, i would like to have these types of edges on my sealed box:

http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/reviews/20030701/customize_box.html

just wondering, is this just a matter of letting the pieces of MDF stick out more on each side then carpeting it? also is it a good ides to double the front for strenth where the sub is mounted? if so, should i be ok if i leave the sides and bottom, and back of the box with just the normal sides?? thanks a lot!

95Prober
12-23-2004, 02:34 PM
sorry guys link doesnt work. what i mean anyway is the edges that arent flush with the side pieces etc. they extend out a little over the body then carpeted.

kjwiehoff
12-23-2004, 03:01 PM
just do it like the picture shows. front, back, top, and bottom extend about 3/4 in past each side. Depending on the sub and power to it, you may or may not want to double the front.

bcarpenterfhl
12-23-2004, 03:24 PM
design the box without accounting for the displacement with the indented sides first, then when you plot your cuts, just add ~ 1/2 in. (or however much you want) to eace side of the front, back, top, and bottom pieces. contruct your box, then when you finally begin to carpet it, do the sides first (just cut the carpet to fit the area of the side wall thats indented). then when you start carpeting the rest make the carpet extend 1 1/4 in. over each side of the enclosure. simply fold the extending carpet over the side (youll probably have to cut diagonal cuts at each corner).