PDA

View Full Version : What are some good 6.5' Coaxials?

Soccerguy
12-21-2004, 06:57 PM
I just installed a Alpine 9833 in my 05 dodge ram. It had 6x9's in the door, but I replaced those with a plate and a set of CDT CL-6X coaxials. These are so unGodly bright it makes me not even turn on my radio. I'm assuming its due to the metal dome tweeter? What are some smooth and clear 6.5's I should look into that I can run off head unit power? I was thinking infinity reference, boston acoustics etc... Looking for something between $100-$135.

Thanks
Nick

Soccerguy
12-23-2004, 03:17 AM
Sweet 27 views and no replies. :handclap:

Sleeklsc
12-23-2004, 04:43 AM
do you have a built in x-over on the h/u?

if so turn down the treble and lower(?) the x-over point..

squeak9798
12-23-2004, 09:46 AM
Boston Acoustics is great. As are the Pioneer REV series.

3.5Max6spd
12-23-2004, 01:01 PM
Arc Audio KAR series coaxes would run sweet of HU power, as well as amped- silk tweet;)
very smooth...

They usually go for $100 a pair, I happen to have a new pair and a barely used pair I'll sell cheap if interested pm me- I had them set aside for the wifes truck, but not doing anything w/ thart truck for months

Soccerguy
12-23-2004, 04:35 PM
do you have a built in x-over on the h/u?

if so turn down the treble and lower(?) the x-over point..

Its a 9833 it has a 6 band parametric eq. I'm messed with every setting on there.

Soccerguy
12-23-2004, 04:45 PM
Arc Audio KAR series coaxes would run sweet of HU power, as well as amped- silk tweet;)
very smooth...

They usually go for $100 a pair, I happen to have a new pair and a barely used pair I'll sell cheap if interested pm me- I had them set aside for the wifes truck, but not doing anything w/ thart truck for months

Sent you a pm abou them.

DrewV
12-23-2004, 06:47 PM
I'd save your money and buy a pair of the Cerwin Vega V-mag 602 6.5" point source drivers. $68 online at Buy.com

They're worth at least twice what they cost. I've been using them for 3 months and now I can't wait to drive my car somewhere. Crystal clear at ANY volume, amazing low-frequency extension, and they fit in stock locations.

By far, the most underrated and underappreciated speaker on the market. I've heard Polk, Pioneer, Infinity, JBL, etc. and none can even come close to the Cerwins. Now, the ARC Audio and Boston Acoustics might be better, I don't know. I haven't heard them. I always liked Boston Acoustics' sound, honestly. But they also cost a hell of a lot more than $68.

For all-out value and for a speaker that's GUARANTEED not to disappoint, the Cerwin Vegas are impossible to beat.

JimJ
12-23-2004, 07:08 PM
My vote would be Boston Acoustics...I love my FX6 coax's...

FOSGATE JOE
12-25-2004, 03:01 PM
alpine 6,5 comps are good THAT'S WHAT I'M RUNING ALL MY HIGHS ARE ALPINE AND THAT SHITE IS SO LOAD AND CLEAR P.S CAN'T GO WRONG WHITH IFINITY HADE THEM TOO LONG TIME AGO

justsayk
12-25-2004, 03:56 PM
I also had a set of cl-6x's and they were horrible. The lightning audio coax's that you can buy at walmart for 29.99 were better. I second the pioneer REV suggestion.

mudd
12-25-2004, 10:51 PM
If you've already built the plates, why not spring for a nice component set? If you're dead set on a coax, look into the CDT braxials.

There's a few 6x9" component sets out there too - most notoriable being the MB Quart (allthough most Quarts are known to be a bit on the bright side).

Soccerguy
12-25-2004, 10:56 PM
If you've already built the plates, why not spring for a nice component set? If you're dead set on a coax, look into the CDT braxials.

There's a few 6x9" component sets out there too - most notoriable being the MB Quart (allthough most Quarts are known to be a bit on the bright side).

I didn't want components because I would have to mount them on the door panel or in the sail panel. I'm selling the truck in a year and didn't want to be drilling holes. I also didn't want to have to spend money for a 2 channel amp. I was looking at the cl-61's but after this experience with cdt I'm afraid to try them again.

ighettoboyi
12-26-2004, 03:50 AM
i dont think you guys are using the cl-6x's in the proper application....you notice in the packaging how it was designed for your imaging and soundstage? you're not supposed to hear it really...your rear passengers or whomever aren't really supposed to know theres rear speakers. it just enhances whatever frontstage you got, and from what i hear those cl-61's aren't bad at all. whatever you do, do not do NOT put the cl-6x's in front and expect them to perform like a regular coaxial.