PDA

View Full Version : ID chameleons or mb quart Q's (qm218.16 old school ones)

RCwhat
12-21-2004, 03:38 PM
hey guys, I'm trying to decide on components. Its between the ID's for a lil under $300 or the mbq's for ~$400. Are the mbq's worth the extra $100??? I don't have the option to listen to either first hand so basically i gotta go off of others' opinions. I'll be running either set off an eD nine.2 (100x2@4ohm, 150x2@2ohm) so if i got the ID's i would get the 2ohm model to take advantage of the extra power. the mbq's on the other hand will only get the 100x2.....Which would you choose??? and why if you don't mind.
just for reference my last setup was 6.5" polk/momo off a xtant 302a and i was very please with the sound. I'd like to achieve at least the same level and quality if not surpass. thanks guys, i really appreciate any input you can share.
-jeff

audiolife
12-21-2004, 05:27 PM
this is a taste question lol personally i would go with the id because i like the tweeter better its smoother while dispersing better which seeminglt makes it image better with less effort. the mb's have a bright titanium dome which might make symbols sound a little better but imhothey make everything else a tad bit too bright. eitherone is a fine set though.

RCwhat
12-21-2004, 08:09 PM
thanks man, i appreciate your input. I'm really not all that worried about how bright the tweet is and i can mount them off axis (obviously) and eq them down a few dbs in certain spots. does anyone know the difference between the old Q's and the new ones??? i'm really torn between the two because the q's are such a good deal, usually much more than $400new, but on the other hand i'd be able to throw 50w more on the ID's than on the mbq's.

audiolife
12-21-2004, 11:12 PM
if you get a chance listen to them both.....

RCwhat
12-22-2004, 07:55 AM
if you get a chance listen to them both.....
thats the problem, i live out in eastcuddybumfukc with no good audio shops that i'm aware of. I basically have no option to hear these first. Does anyone know the difference between the new and old Q series???

audiolife
12-22-2004, 05:59 PM
how far from a city? mass aint that big boston i am sure has a ton of stuff.

RCwhat
12-22-2004, 08:12 PM
i'm right near new bedford, which is like the southern most point in MA. There are some other shops, one i know carries mbQ but they only have the new Q series and they're in a display sound board. so its not exactly the same environment nor the same speakers. anyway, i think i'm just gonna order the ID's since they're cheaper and i can also throw 50w more on them than i could the mbQ's. thanks for your help.