PDA

View Full Version : Hardwood

amedeuce
12-20-2004, 10:12 PM
I'm curious how an enclosure would sound made out of exotic hardwood or even non-exotic hardwood such as maple or ash etc...... If it doesnt flex, should it sound the same as mdf?? Or maybe line the inside with like 1/4" mdf.....
What do ya think?

maylar
12-21-2004, 10:29 AM
Something really dense like Bubinga, Cocobolo or Rosewood would work fine. Maybe Oak too. But medium density woods would flex and resonate (so I'm told).

Insomniac119
12-21-2004, 01:05 PM
what about teek or steel wood? that **** is hard!

amedeuce
12-21-2004, 01:35 PM
Something really dense like Bubinga, Cocobolo or Rosewood would work fine. Maybe Oak too. But medium density woods would flex and resonate (so I'm told).

That's what I was thinking, Some of those exotic woods are very dense. An ebony enclosure be awsome and very expensive. but some other more reasonably priced hardwoods would be cool too, I might just try it...

squeak9798
12-21-2004, 01:38 PM
The reason MDF is so popular is because of it's price to "performance" ratio. Baltic Birch is used a lot in home audio it seems, though IIRC it is around $60 a sheet

ss3079
12-21-2004, 08:06 PM
I'm curious how an enclosure would sound made out of exotic hardwood or even non-exotic hardwood such as maple or ash etc...... If it doesnt flex, should it sound the same as mdf?? Or maybe line the inside with like 1/4" mdf.....
What do ya think?

I made an eastern maple enclosure for my home - I can't notice the difference between it an any MDF enclosure I've had. It's walls are close to an inch thick.

- Steve

BiaBia
12-21-2004, 08:31 PM
Buying maple or any other type of hardwood rather than MDF is just stupid. Its a waste of money. Build it out of MDF. If you build the box ******, then maybe the hardness of the more expensive wood might make up for it, but in all reality, you should take your time on every box and get it done right the first time.

amedeuce
12-23-2004, 04:38 PM
Buying maple or any other type of hardwood rather than MDF is just stupid. Its a waste of money. Build it out of MDF. If you build the box ******, then maybe the hardness of the more expensive wood might make up for it, but in all reality, you should take your time on every box and get it done right the first time.

well I have no problem making very quality boxes out of mdf, I've made quit a few. I have all the woodworking tools. I just thought it might be cool to have an enclosure made out of some really nice wood or baltic birch plywood with a nice finish and if will sound the same I think I'm gonna do it.