PDA

View Full Version : fiberglass resin + skin

jellyfish420
12-19-2004, 05:05 PM
has any of you ever got fiberglass resin on your hands for a while. the other day, i don't know what i was thinking but i started doing a box, and i forgot to put gloves on and i had that ***** on my hands, for about 20 minutes. i just figured that hey its already on my hands...a little more isn't gonna hurt me. well the next day i had hives all on my back, chest, legs, arms, and face. its been 2 days now, since the hives poped up and they're almost gone now. do you guys think it could of been the resin, or do you think it was something else???

Acidburn
12-19-2004, 05:07 PM
sounds like you're allergic to something, maybe the resin

DBfan187
12-19-2004, 05:07 PM
It got hot for a minute. Then it's all sticky.

ss3079
12-19-2004, 05:09 PM
Fiberglass resin on your skin can give you hives.

Wear gloves next time.

- Steve

Acidburn
12-19-2004, 05:10 PM
It got hot for a minute. Then it's all sticky.
sounds like something else you do often

the resin and hardener is a chemical reaction that gives off lots of heat

jujumantb
12-19-2004, 05:10 PM
It definitly irritates my skin, I had a few bumps on my hands around where the resin was, not all over my body though. I usually wear gloves, but when you run out, you never want to make an entire trip for a new box of gloves when you only have a layer or two left to go...

ss3079
12-19-2004, 05:11 PM
Imagine the burning sensation you'd feel on your arm if this was the middle of summer ...

Some people seem to be fine with getting in on their skin reaction/heat wise (like me), and others (one of my friends) can't even deal with the smell through a mask.

- Steve

Acidburn
12-19-2004, 05:13 PM
i got a little on my arm once, i dont think it really had much affect on me but i still wear gloves

Gauntlet
12-19-2004, 06:48 PM
I've never had a problem. I just let it cure on my skin then rip it off.

mattj
12-19-2004, 06:58 PM
I dont fiberglass so I dont have to worry about it
:P

req
12-20-2004, 12:08 AM
i got it all over my arms from accidently leaning on somthing with glass on it. on my fingers, dripped all over me. didnt hurt one bit, but the dust sure as hell does give me a rash.. just lottsa little red pinpricks. hurts liek hell.

but if you get it on ya, whip out the ACETONE (should say "fiberglass resin thinner" or "mineral spirit" on it. stuff will take hard resin off in 10 seconds of rubbing. good stuff. i used to rip my hair off my arm, but i found the acetone, and i dont have to worry about it at all.

fiberglass resin in its liquid form dosnt bother me one bit. only the dust does.

lodger_001
12-20-2004, 07:32 PM
it was probably the resin, most types of resins (polyester, epoxy, polyurethane, etc) can cause bad allergic reactions. Often the more times you are exposed, the worse the reactions get.