PDA

View Full Version : Alpine LCD Goes Out

Jamesr316
12-17-2004, 07:47 AM
My friend has an Alpine MP3 player unit from Car Toys. Its Silver and I assume it was the base model. Anyhow, the lcd just totally shuts off after a few seconds. I thought this could be an autodim feature, but it never did that before, and its totally off-not dim. The backlit lights on the buttons stay on. The lcd turns back on whenever you press a button.

Is this a problem or a feature of his head unit? If its a feature, how does he fix it?

IgnoreMe
12-17-2004, 02:06 PM
i dont know but mine did that a few times except the lcd didnt turn back on. i should mention my HU is ****ed too, so maybe yours is going the same route...but i hope not

ANeonRider
12-17-2004, 02:19 PM
Alpine's have an option to shut off the display to reduce power consumption, which in called the blackout mode.

Press and hold the B.OUT button for at least 3 seconds.

60_cent
12-20-2004, 06:01 PM
blackout mode, read the book.....

Jamesr316
12-20-2004, 07:35 PM
thx Neon. I would have looked in the manual but he has no documentation or anything, it was a replacement model from cartoys because they ****ed his unit up when he bought the car.

BassAce
12-24-2004, 05:30 PM
Mine does that to except that when I press the blackout mode button it doesn't come back on. It does it randomly. I can tell if it's in blackout, on mine when blackout is activated it sets the equalizer is set to zero. Also, if I'm correct it's not a LCD display I believe its a Vacuum Fluorescent display. I'm guessing there may be a bad conection at the Grid. The VF display consists of an anode, cathode, and grid. A +12V is applied at the anode a +5v is applied at the Grid. I believe the electrons stike the area that is displayed and created light, you can sort of refer this to a CRT. But the difference between a VF and a CRT is that the VF display has this thing called a grid. If the grid is applied +5v the electrons will strike the phospors and create a nice glow. But if there is no voltage applied then the electrons will not strike the phospors on that segment. So if your warranty has expired you can try to open it up and try to check the connections, or you try to called alpine and get a replacement and solder in the new one. This is just a brief explantion of a VF display and is not completely in full detail. However, sometimes I can't really tell the difference between an LCD and a VF. The reason I never opened mine up and try to fix the problem is because I'm lazy.