PDA

View Full Version : 300rms to CDT CL-61?

Johnny Drama
12-15-2004, 04:48 PM
I searched and didnt come up with anything.

Anyone current or past ran 300rms to the CL-61 comps? I am currently running 90rms to the set. Thanks to SNOVA031 my new comps amp will be in tomorrow. I just dont want to take any risk with 120rms over the recomended specs. If I get no responce I will post what I find. By the way I know to keep the gains down. How much though? I set it with a DMM then maybe go 1-5v down? Some advise would be great.

Thanks,
Justin

Bavarian3
12-15-2004, 05:02 PM
simple turn gain all the way down, set high pass around 90-110hz or so and turn the volume up as loud as u want, then just turn up the gain till the speakers distort then go back down a tad. leave bass boost alone, tweak crossover a bit as u like, if u go down a little more on the xover the gain may need to be dropped a tad as well since the increase in lowend frequencies, if u go higher on the xover the gain could be bumped up a bit since the mids will handle less lowend enabling them to get louder. simple as that...

i honeslty wouldnt worry about power ratings too much (within reason). the amount of power u have is fine u just need to know how to use it, if the speakers sound like they arent taking it too well then u know the volume needs to go down, the gain is really just a type of volume control.

Johnny Drama
12-15-2004, 05:08 PM
Well I planned to set the high pass around 80hz. As far as the gain, if I set the gain like I normally do [DMM sqrt (WxOhm)] would that not be well past the thermal rating of the comps?

Berry47
12-15-2004, 05:30 PM
I have my HD-62cf's running 300 watts at 100hz high pass and they sound great. No problems after around 6 months.

silent1
12-16-2004, 06:28 PM
I ran 180 rms to my CL 61s. The tweeter broke up easily at high levels. Even when compared to my 5.25 Infinity references, which took all the power pretty well. The Peerless/Lpg combo just begged for more. All in all 300 watts is a waste. If your planning on upgrading I wouldnt waste the money on that big of an amp. If its something you have laying around, becareful, also you might want to swap out the tweeters if you like it loud.