PDA

View Full Version : Fiberglass Box Layout

CONSOLIDATED
12-15-2004, 04:56 PM
Ok, can maybe one person respond this time?

Since nobody offered any suggestions, I'm going to keep designing different layouts untill I either decide I'm going to make the box anyway, or someone gives me some advice.

There are no dimensions on this yet because:

1. I'm not sure what amp I'm going to be putting in. The amp size will affect how big the box is.
2. I don't know how to tune a box.
3. I haven't taken packing peanuts to my trunk for measuring yet.
4. I spent 10 minutes on photoshop for this.
5. I'm not an architect.

Tell me whether this is:

1. A good layout.
2. A good position for the box.
3. Good location for the subs (in relation to one another).
4. Practical.

http://uploads.bestupload.com/redir/24657.jpg

CONSOLIDATED
12-15-2004, 04:57 PM
Note: The box isn't supposed to be thicker on one side. Like I said I'm not an architect.

brandontw
12-15-2004, 05:00 PM
looks ok to me, but mabye you should throw together a few ideas and let us compare, and make sure you make it the right siz,m and are you going to port it?

CONSOLIDATED
12-15-2004, 05:27 PM
I haven't decided yet.

I'm way more interested in quality than I am making other peoples cars rattle.

CONSOLIDATED
12-15-2004, 05:35 PM
Here's another option.

Pretend it doesn't ****.

Out of these two, I'd rather go with the first one because it doesn't require as much fiberglass, and it leaves me one big chunk of my trunk left, this one kind of makes one really small one and a medium sized one. Plus I have to risk having my subs hit by crap in my trunk unless I put some kind of grill on it.

http://uploads.bestupload.com/redir/24712.jpg

This one would also be a lot harder to measure, in my opinion.

brandontw
12-15-2004, 05:40 PM
that second one might have some cancellation issues-- no bueno

CONSOLIDATED
12-15-2004, 05:51 PM
I didn't think about that.

I cant really think of any other enclosures like that.

I kind of want my amp between my subs so I can put plexiglass over it (protection) or something, but I'll probably mess around with the amp on top of the subs or something.

I carry a lot of stuff in my trunk usually, so I'm trying to conserve as much space as I can, and then protect my crap from books, skateboards, tools, mp3 players, or whatever I have in there.

brandontw
12-15-2004, 07:08 PM
i think that first one might be your best bet, its simple, and would prolly have the best results, rear firing always works out pretty good, and you would be able to have a trunk still

who is that in your avatar?

CONSOLIDATED
12-15-2004, 07:15 PM
Avatar is Paris Hilton in her little homemade movie.

I think what I might do for the box is go with the first setup, but I'd bring the subs forward a little bit. That would give me more room between the two subs for the amp, as I can use the back space for the individual sub's box.

I'll try to make a picture in a second.

By the way, I don't think I've mentioned yet that the back will be the only fiberglass in the enclosure. The front, top, bottom and sides will be MDF.

brandontw
12-15-2004, 07:17 PM
ah the paris, i should have known..duh! it think that box will owrk out nicely, and will be fairly easy if you going for sealed

CONSOLIDATED
12-15-2004, 07:35 PM
I think I'm gonna go with this.

http://uploads.bestupload.com/redir/24902.jpg

CONSOLIDATED
12-15-2004, 07:37 PM
And if anyone has any ideas, here's a blank picture.

http://uploads.bestupload.com/redir/24906.jpg

brandontw
12-15-2004, 09:59 PM
i like it, i think it will work out pretty good, good luck, pics of the build!!!!

ANeonRider
12-15-2004, 10:08 PM
Thing is, you will need alot more space than what you are showing for the subs, they need some airspace ;)

brandontw
12-15-2004, 10:11 PM
yeah i figured its still in the early stages, you need to do alot more planning on the space and size still but the basic design looks fine

CONSOLIDATED
12-15-2004, 10:33 PM
Yeah, as soon as I figure out if I'm going with the SX or SE, ill figure out the specs and start measuring.

Thing is, that part of my trunk is atleast 3 feet wide, my amp wont take up as much space as shown so I'll be able to make the boxes wider first, then deeper when I have to.

I can come up as far as where the wheels end (my trunk expands right there) and I'll still have enough space in my trunk for what I normally carry.

swimfreak26
12-15-2004, 11:05 PM
Looks good, just be sure to make all of the flat parts out of MDF, then possibly cover them with resin if you want a uniform look. Fiberglass is strongest in curves, and pointless in long flat areas really.

For the same reason, i would probably "push out" the subs a little bit...in otherwords, offset them from the face where they sit so that they have a curve right behind them....I hope that makes sense.

CONSOLIDATED
12-15-2004, 11:22 PM
Yeah the front will be MDF, the back is fiberglass so it molds in with my trunk.

Saves space and will fit nice and snug.

Since I drive a Corolla, I don't have to worry about acceleration pushing a big box to the back of my trunk, smashing everything else either.

brandontw
12-15-2004, 11:36 PM
Since I drive a Corolla, I don't have to worry about acceleration pushing a big box to the back of my trunk, smashing everything else either.
i have to worry about that;)

swimfreak26
12-16-2004, 12:01 AM
As well do I with my camry....dang cars are so slow, oh well though, she gets me around and is still ticking away in great condition with 243,000 miles.

brandontw
12-16-2004, 12:08 AM
mines still fast at 187000 ;)