PDA

View Full Version : eclipse 8454 questions

magic_wizard
12-15-2004, 02:51 AM
I have some questions about the 8454 whose answers could determine whether or not I buy it. I would greatly appreciate your responses.

First, does the eclipse 8454 have the browsing feature that alpine decks have? On alpine decks, you can browse through files on an mp3 disk and select what you want to play. This is a really handy feature when you have a cd with like 10 folders, each with many songs, and you don't know the locations of all the songs by heart.

My second question concerns the time alignment feature. On the website, Eclipse states that you can time align the lows, mids and highs separately. Is this only for a 3 way running straight from the hu, or is this possible with a 3 way running off of 1 passive crossover (per side)? And how effective is this feature?

Finally, where can I get one of these bad boys? Anybody know of some shops in the ATL area? I went to some HIFI buys, but they only have lower end models, if any.

Once again, thanks for any responses.

unrealii
12-15-2004, 06:49 PM
1) MP3 feature...if there is one, I haven't found it yet.

2) Time alignment goes for both channels of the outputs: of high, mid, and low. For example, so if you run a passive x-over on the high outputs, whatever is connected to your high's will have the same delay. You can also adjust gain for each channel like cutting a db here and there.

Keep in mind when running multiple speakers on the highs or lows, the low cut off for the high is 200Hz, and the low cutoff for the mids is 63Hz. So if you run 3-way cross overs on the high outputs, you are limited to 200Hz-16KHz. Right now I am on a bi-amp setup, but I am thinking of wiring up my crossovers on the mids since they go 63Hz-16K, rather than how I had it before bi-amping where they were on the high and cut off at 200Hz. Hope that makes sense.

3) Call up eclipse, they can give you the names and numbers of local shops which carry their products.

Fyi, I am a newb when it comes to caraudio, so I could be wrong on some of my info.

JLCivic
12-15-2004, 07:53 PM
Call 800-55-Eclipse. That should connect you to the nearest dealer(I would call from a landline, not a cell phone). If that doesn't work, call Eclipse (800-233-2216), and see if they can give you the names of some shops in the area.

...or, you could look in your yellow pages, and see if any of the car audio shops' ads list Eclipse.