PDA

View Full Version : Crazy idea #216, backwards imaging

Scarenius
12-14-2004, 06:28 PM
Here's the concept.

Imaging is pointing speakers direct at the listener to get the best sound out of them. Mainly, directly at the front of the listener. The accepted rule is the driver side speaker is pointed at the driver, the passenger side, you get the idea.

My idea is as follows: point the passenger side speaker at the driver, and vice versa.

Since the speaker farther away is on axis, it will seem slightly louder than the off axis speaker, this combined with the distance between the two would better balance the sound each person in the front of the vehicle hears. Maybe even help with the "deaf left ear" syndrome.

To achive this is even easier than it sounds. In my Taurus, it's nearly done, only the speakers point at the person's crotch instead of their head. Modding the mounts would involve just bending the iron that makes the speaker mount, or just building a new one.

Someone enlighten me.

95RAM
12-14-2004, 07:35 PM
I say go for it a give us a comparison between when the speakers are done the normal way.

Scarenius
12-14-2004, 07:46 PM
I'll see what I can do. If anything, it will at least improve upon the imaging the stock locations have. I will end up mounting the midbass there, anyway.

Scarenius
12-14-2004, 08:44 PM
That would explain the curious imaging. As for pointing them at the crotch, well, I'm not entirely sure about that one.

paikiah
12-14-2004, 11:23 PM
your ***** has ears?

monte_carlo97
12-14-2004, 11:27 PM
do it and let us know how it turns out. I would think that it would at least sound just as good.

req
12-15-2004, 12:33 AM
wait a second. isnt this how you are supposed to set them up and why one of the speakers is usually off phase of the other because of the time delay in the distance from the left mid to the driver than the right?

i always thought you were supposed to point the right speaks at the driver and the left speaks at the passanger... thats why you use a lazerpointer and point it at the opposite car window just below and to the front of the ear...

well. while my component amp lasted, it sounded great :p:

audiolife
12-15-2004, 04:54 AM
its dependant on how the speakers actually disperse the sound. depending on the speaker you could build the kicks straight down and angled up so the seakers actually aim up twards the bottom of the dash..however the only 3 vehicles that did this 2 were memphis point syncs (on won its class at world finals) the other in my old car what it has now . and a set of dyns 3 way...curious thing about this all cars were firebirds lol

JoseMCeee
12-15-2004, 05:14 AM
wait a second. isnt this how you are supposed to set them up and why one of the speakers is usually off phase of the other because of the time delay in the distance from the left mid to the driver than the right?

i always thought you were supposed to point the right speaks at the driver and the left speaks at the passanger... thats why you use a lazerpointer and point it at the opposite car window just below and to the front of the ear...

well. while my component amp lasted, it sounded great :p:

Yea thats what i thought. Point the opposite side towards you. That way the tweet right next to you doesnt shoot those piercing highs directly into your brain. sounds better IMO and keeps the highs from hurting your head.

paikiah
12-15-2004, 06:53 AM
hmm, crazy idea #217:

the tweet closer to driver's ear as silk dome, tweet further away as titanium dome. Lol~

squeak9798
12-15-2004, 10:46 AM
As Audiolife mentioned, how the speakers are aimed is really car and speaker dependent. Some (a lot of) car audio speakers are designed to work best off-axis (because most people just put them in the doors of their car).....so your kicks may actually just point at your feet. Other times it is going to depend on the acoustics of the car.

Anyways, read this: http://www.elitecaraudio.com/article.php?sid=20