PDA

View Full Version : Alternative rear-fill suggestions...?

MetalMaxima
12-14-2004, 05:34 PM
I am assuming that everyone downplays rear fill due to the poor imaging provided by OEM speaker locations. Would adding a quality rear fill have an increased effect if you could change the imaging?

I have a large rear backseat and am considering running a set of midbass or comps using a fiberglass panel down the middle of the rear seats OR mounting a set on top of the rear deck using fiberglass pods to point them out instead of up. Would this not create a noticable change in the rear fill? ...or is this just wishful thinking?

squeak9798
12-15-2004, 10:41 AM
I am assuming that everyone downplays rear fill due to the poor imaging provided by OEM speaker locations. Would adding a quality rear fill have an increased effect if you could change the imaging?

I have a large rear backseat and am considering running a set of midbass or comps using a fiberglass panel down the middle of the rear seats OR mounting a set on top of the rear deck using fiberglass pods to point them out instead of up. Would this not create a noticable change in the rear fill? ...or is this just wishful thinking?

Honestly, I personally think it would make it sound worse. Because instead of having them off-axis with the listener (which makes them somewhat attenuated) , you are wanting to aim them straight at everybody's head which would increase their ability to localize the sound as coming from behind them.

Now, if you could figure out a way to make the rear speakers sound like they were in front of you, that would help :) But I doubt that's going to happen.

MetalMaxima
12-15-2004, 10:50 AM
Hmmm...that leaves me in a somewhat interesting position...I have two channels of a 4-channel amplifier that I have no idea what to do with! :wow:

squeak9798
12-15-2004, 11:18 AM
You could always just bridge the amp to your front speakers ;)

ANeonRider
12-15-2004, 11:27 AM
Or if you have two way components and a crossover capable of bi-amping....

MetalMaxima
12-15-2004, 11:35 AM
You could always just bridge the amp to your front speakers ;)

Aieeee...320W per channel, better get a supply of earplugs first!