PDA

View Full Version : Sony Headunits???

theblueprint
12-14-2004, 01:20 AM
I am kinda skeptikal about getting a Sony headunit because alot of my friends say negative things about Sony stuff....but if you have ever had a Sony headunit or know someone with a Sony headunit do you know of any problems, or would you recommend buying one?

vosschs
12-14-2004, 01:22 AM
i have one its awsome! http://www.hookedontronics.com/show_product_details.jsp?cid=9615

Jamesr316
12-14-2004, 05:14 AM
have 2, hate them both.

1 of them is that one above with the mp3 option.

get another brand.

maylar
12-14-2004, 10:10 AM
My son has had 2 of them.. first one broke in warrantee - Circuit City replaced it free. 2nd one skips on some CD's.

theblueprint
12-14-2004, 04:54 PM
anyone else???

stevieB
12-14-2004, 05:29 PM
I had the first generation mp3 player and it died on me. Hopefully they changed by now..

tRiGgEr
12-14-2004, 05:33 PM
I own the CDX-M9905x. Best HU I've ever owned thus far. Never skips. Great SQ, But I'm not running off the HU amp. Great features.

percept
12-14-2004, 07:19 PM
i hear their head units arent bad...its just their speakers subs and amps

Acidburn
12-14-2004, 07:21 PM
only the old Mobile ES stuff was good
if its read and Sony it probably *****

thismightbepat
12-14-2004, 11:00 PM
i have one, it does its job i guess. i dont really like it though, i want something higher-end, with more bells and whistles to play with.

paikiah
12-14-2004, 11:29 PM
I have an old c-90 mobile ES. Very nice deck, rubbish display during daytime.

theblueprint
12-15-2004, 11:39 AM
Well what do you all thin about the Sony CDX-9900, thats what im thinking about getting...

theblueprint
12-16-2004, 12:40 AM
do anyone got that SONY one^^^^^

audiolife
12-16-2004, 02:46 AM
higher end sony is pretty good lower end sony anymore is = pyramid lol

brocket or bust
12-17-2004, 06:24 PM
Actually, I have a friend who sells many lines through their store. He completed the Sony training on the weekend and said anything (Canadian funds) retailing under 250$ is made by Jensen, which is why this stuff licks ***. the models above are made by sony and are much more reliable. i have the CDM 9905x, but i'm still trying to figure out how the image/video downloads work.. anybody?? I do think the manuals could use some work to explain how this works

theblueprint
12-19-2004, 04:28 AM
I was thinking about getting that Model but I got a HU that surpasses that one...the JVC KD-SHX700

DARKHART
12-19-2004, 11:02 PM
I don't believe that there is anything wrong with the lower end Sony decks, I've installed many of them including the so called dreaded xplod line and I've never had one that just up and "failed". My personal opinion is that all these people are complaining about the decks because of something that someone else said and people are jumping on the bandwagon or it was user error or in most cases plain old fashioned poor installation......... :D :D :D

audiolife
12-19-2004, 11:58 PM
when i worked at best buy we had alot of 2-3 year old sonys come back for service lol

Raven
12-20-2004, 09:02 AM
I used to have an old XPlod HU in my car, no idea what model. It did the job, and didn't sound too bad. I bought it used, had it for about 3 months, put it in a girl's car, and there it still is today. Works and everything.

I personally wouldn't hate on their HUs. It's just everything else.

fishmunger
12-21-2004, 02:06 PM
my friends dad works for sony so he gets everything dirt cheap, and 2 of my friends have sony decks. they work fine and get the job done.

audiolife
12-21-2004, 05:40 PM
as long as they work.....the bottom of the line ones are the ones that scare me

spuntodeath
12-22-2004, 11:56 AM
I don't believe that there is anything wrong with the lower end Sony decks, I've installed many of them including the so called dreaded xplod line and I've never had one that just up and "failed". My personal opinion is that all these people are complaining about the decks because of something that someone else said and people are jumping on the bandwagon or it was user error or in most cases plain old fashioned poor installation......... :D :D :D
Thank you. Someone isn't afraid to think for themselves. I have a CDX MP40. Its a decent plate with some nice features. It looks clean and does everything I need. Ive had zero problems, I would buy another Sony HU but this one has got me covered. Paid 150 back when it was "newer". If you wanna step it up Alpine, Pioneer, and Clarion seem to be on the ball. OH yeah. Im wondering if anyone has the Sony CDX-M9900, that screen looks real sharp up close in personal. Clean. Any problems with them? good experiences? I might consider that bad boy if I get enough little scrapes on my face plate. Didn't sony invent the CD???

paikiah
12-22-2004, 12:05 PM
as long as they work.....the bottom of the line ones are the ones that scare me
I once installed 4 low end sony hu's in a day. 3 were lemon. Replaced all 3 under warranty (All three had the same pickup problem). 1 was a lemon again. Replaced. Haven't heard from the 4 for some time now.

saintluey
12-22-2004, 12:08 PM
i got that Hu 9900. its in my opinion one of the best. never skips, plays all my burned cds. i love sony HU, everthing else except in dash monitors suxs

audiolife
12-22-2004, 07:11 PM
lol i was only an installer at a top 30 best buy for 2 and a half years. i dont think i ever had 1 dead in the box but i had them come back within a yr and no wires came loose and the decks werent loose in the kits hell most were iso din mounted lol

Sachmo12345
12-23-2004, 12:26 PM
there are plenty of better choices

squeak9798
12-23-2004, 12:29 PM
there are plenty of better choices

That's the way I look at it. The Sony's might "work", but there are plenty I'd choose before it.

urwhatueati8god
08-02-2005, 02:31 AM
I told my friend 500 times that it would break within the year. He bought it anyways. It broke. The thing no longer reads CD's. Don't go bargain basement with things. Save your money and buy things that aren't the blatently in-your-face "Hey we also make dishwasher" type companies ala Sony or Panasonic and opt for some people who do solely audio like Pioneer or Kenwood or Eclipse or Alpine. This way you can rub it in your friend's face when you might have paid a mere ten or twenty extra dollars than he did for his headunit and his bites the bullet. Also, going with a less recognizable kind of adds to the originallity of making it your system in my opinion. Hell, I'm running a JVC six preamp in my dad's car which I got for $5 and it's lasted a year and a half and sounds great.

Prowler573
08-02-2005, 04:11 AM
...that aren't the blatently in-your-face "Hey we also make dishwasher" type companies ala Sony or Panasonic

Never seen a Sony dishwasher though I had a Panasonic vacuum once. Both make a pretty fair TV.

and opt for some people who do solely audio like Pioneer or Kenwood or Eclipse or Alpine.

A buddy of mine has a matched pair of Kenwood electric space heaters. Fujitsu Ten is into all kinds of products. My '81 C10 P/U had a pretty nice Alpine alarm.

Also, going with a less recognizable kind of adds to the originallity of making it your system in my opinion.
I had not been of the opinion that any of the above-mentioned companies were relative unknowns. ;)

Hell, I'm running a JVC six preamp in my dad's car which I got for $5 and it's lasted a year and a half and sounds great.

Now...there's good news :D

A '91 Camry I bought once had an older Sony cassette deck. Wasn't Mobile ES stuff but it was older than the introduction of the Xplod gear. The fella I sold it to after taking it out still uses it without complaint today. I've known people to own Xplod stuff and use it for a great long while with no issues.

Would I buy it for myself? No. Do I think it's absolute garbage? Again, no. As with most other things is it a case of getting what you paid for? Yep. Sure is. :) If you don't expect a $100 product to compare to or outperform a $300 product in most cases you can still be content with the $100 product. *shrug* I reckon it's all a matter of what you want.

Chainsaw45
08-02-2005, 12:50 PM
If your going to spend 200 on a Sony you might as well spend that 200 on Alpine, Kenwood, Pioneer or something that will last better. It might not light up and whirl and twirl but it'll work.

Cha0s00100
08-02-2005, 01:32 PM
friend got a sony deck now it has power issues needs to go back

MrBlack
08-02-2005, 02:26 PM
I like my Sony c-90 so much, I just bought a backup off Ebay for $300 for the day that my original deck quits and can no longer be repaired. But it's still going strong since '98. ;)

93 saturn sl2
08-02-2005, 02:31 PM
I have the CDX-F7700 and love it in cold the cds skip with bass but I heard that it happens because of the cold I would get it again has a lot of feaures for the $200 that I spent on it. would this one be considered on of their high end HUs?

OKLAGMCRUISER
08-02-2005, 05:44 PM
I have a CDX-MP80. I've had it almost a year without ANY problems. I'm not using deck power, but I DO notice a difference from the CDX-C710 that was an ES model with the burrbrown d/a converters. There WAS an audible difference that I noticed as soon as I installed the mp80, BUT I was more interested in the XM side of the unit. I probably wouldn't buy it again and would like to try a 8455 Eclipse out, but with the money I have tied up in the CDX-MP80, XTXM1, and my six disc changer I'm afraid I'll be running these for a bit longer....unless someone with a 8353 wants to trade all of the above with me.

AVSTANG02
08-02-2005, 05:48 PM
a Pyle headunit can do the job but would u get one?

**** NO...

what a pointless thread. Lets bump it to the top.

OKLAGMCRUISER
08-02-2005, 05:51 PM
a Pyle headunit can do the job but would u get one?

**** NO...

what a pointless thread. Lets bump it to the top.
**** dude...who pissed in your corn flakes?

:laugh: :laugh:

jayroc2k
08-26-2005, 07:01 PM
i had a sony xplod mp40, lots of features, plays CDrs that my new alpine 9twice the price) cant handle. but it if u wand a cheap HU. as for SQ look elsewhere, there EQ is crap (compaered to alpine)

DARKHART
08-26-2005, 09:00 PM
I like my Sony c-90 so much, I just bought a backup off Ebay for $300

You found a C-90 on ebay for $300.00.......what was wrong with it? Seeing as how they go for around $500 on ebay....:eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow:

audiolife
08-26-2005, 09:32 PM
specialty series sony pretty much whips *** on anything in its price range 2 yr warranty 24 bit burr browns at well under 300 bucks full retail price

Justintoxicated
08-26-2005, 10:21 PM
specialty series sony pretty much whips *** on anything in its price range 2 yr warranty 24 bit burr browns at well under 300 bucks full retail price

even my eclipse CD5444? It was well under $300 including a 5 year warranty! And I got it from Good Guys, not even online.

audiolife
08-26-2005, 10:24 PM
even my eclipse CD5444? It was well under $300 including a 5 year warranty! And I got it from Good Guys, not even online.
full retail on that deck is 400 :rolleyes:

faulkton
08-27-2005, 06:39 AM
I have some jank *** sony with the flip over face.. i dont remember the model but the buttons are on one side of the face and the other just has some poser graphics that actually look like total ****. Got it for $40 from some kid when i really needed a deck quick. It still sitting in my closet.
It always played and only skipped when bitterly cold (like -10 or more) but the SQ ****** even when not using deck power. Just didnt sound like the eclipse decks i have owned. Then again im sure its retail price was much less than any of the eclipse decks ive owned.

Beyond
08-28-2005, 02:02 PM
Well what do you all thin about the Sony CDX-9900, thats what im thinking about getting...

i own a cdx-m9900, and let me tell you.. i could not be MORE disappointed with it. there are so many small things about it that just add up: inability to see the clock without turning the unit off, inability to skip tracks/operate anything until volume adjusting screen goes away, etc. if you have plans of uploading your own pictures to the screen to use as a background, keep in mind that to do this you're gonna have to hook something into the aux in to do so, there are no memory cards or built in memory in the unit. also, if you do take the time to do this, the image will likely be distorted anyways. if the reason you want to get this unit is for the screen, sure, the screen looks good, but i CANNOT TELL YOU how much i regret buying this thing just because of it. really, honestly and truely, that screen is just a gimmick. the unit has no functionality, and it's extremely hard to use (even after 6 months!)

the fact is i hate the m9900, and i couldn't discourage you from getting it more. for the money you're going to spend on one, you're better off getting something else ..that's all i have to say.

Eugenics
08-28-2005, 02:21 PM

i really love mine, 3 sets of 4v preouts also. ive never had a problem with it, ive owned a few pioneers and had bad luck with them but i love this sony.. probably my favorite HU of all the ones ive used in my cars. With that said i wouldn't buy anything other than the specialty series decks

truckstoy
08-30-2005, 01:06 PM
i have a sony xplod cdx-m750 and had it for several years, it was a great deck, had it in 3 diffrent cars and it sounded great in all of them. never had a problem with it, still have it. just wanted to give alpine a shot.

audiolife
08-30-2005, 03:13 PM
i really love mine, 3 sets of 4v preouts also. ive never had a problem with it, ive owned a few pioneers and had bad luck with them but i love this sony.. probably my favorite HU of all the ones ive used in my cars. With that said i wouldn't buy anything other than the specialty series decks
i agree sony released those with a chip on their shoulder lol even said so lol