PDA

View Full Version : Which of these five slotported boxes is optimal?

theCybe
12-14-2004, 12:19 AM
Assuming the measurements are all correct. SPL. Any difference?

http://www.thecybe.com/theCybe-boxes.gif

Note; Just noticed the obvious short port in #4.

theCybe
12-14-2004, 01:25 PM
My car has a 'ski hole' ( for transporting skis ) in the center of the rear bench-seat, behind the armrest / console; I was hoping to focus the port through that hole, so I had my hopes pinned on;

2, 5, or 3.

But you're the boxman. =)

Anyone else?

Also; The datasheet suggests;

3x 18" port for 1.25^3 box, per sub;

I assume that's round, which is fine; I saw a calculator to convert to a slot;

But in the case of two speakers in a chamber, how do I increase the port to match the 2 subs in 2.5"^3?

It would seem too simple to just double up on ports; What's the answer?

And how about one slotport, one round port?

req
12-14-2004, 01:46 PM
pay jmac $10 to design it for you.. maybe 15 cuz its a complicated box.

theCybe
12-14-2004, 02:53 PM
I've considered that, but I've gathered that he's pretty much booked for the next month or so. :)

This isn't a complicated box. And I think I have the concept down, I just need to know the 'rules.'

paikiah
12-15-2004, 12:02 AM
i say use a single large chamber instead of two.

theCybe
12-15-2004, 08:56 AM
Currently, I have them in a box much the same as Brandontw's plan; They're loud, but I'm not getting the low end I'm looking for.

req
12-15-2004, 10:25 AM
i think seperate boxes = better. thats IMO however. there are a few more people who can do it for ya... i tried, but im not good at math... so i just pay jmac for it. i know, im his *****... but it gets the job done quick.

brandontw
12-15-2004, 04:42 PM
Currently, I have them in a box much the same as Brandontw's plan; They're loud, but I'm not getting the low end I'm looking for.
so you finished it and got them runnign and didnt tell me? how dare you... what was yours tuned to? waht are you running them with? i tuned mine lower..so hopefully i can get some more of the bottom end..gimme some pics too dammit!!

theCybe
12-15-2004, 09:19 PM
Hehe. Check this out.

First, I've changed the box design as noted in the 8000s thread - it's not finished yet.
Secondly, I'm paying my local shop 2000' feet of wire for the install they quoted me at $300.
Third, they'll be running off a BX1500d @ 1.33ohms
Four, I still don't have a cam.

I wish I knew how to carpet that box perfectly.

brandontw
12-15-2004, 09:57 PM
wait you dont have it installed or finished yet? how do you know its loud but not enough bottom end then?
and how will they be running at 1.33? all parallel will give you 1 ohm;)

theCybe
12-15-2004, 10:29 PM
I'm only using three, and I temporarily sealed the box with a vinyl-like foam, and hooked it to my home stereo; that's how I know it didn't give good response.

That's just my opinion; Now here's another;

When people say SPL, I think " loud *** bass. "
When people say SQ, I think " thx sound "

What I failed to realize previously, is that SQ is how I get low bass, true tones, and good sound in general. I guess I'd missed the tradeoff, in that an SPL configuration, at least on a budget, won't give me low tones.

The reponse graph told me that.

So now, I guess SQ. And I have to stop hating on people who are like, "SQ! SQ!"

Because even though my livingroom isn't covered in pointy foam and $650 RCAs,

I still want good sound.

Thus, I think I've used the term SPL with the wrong connotation.

Who needs a 170db 50 Hz tone?
I'd rather have a 60db 28 Hz tone. :)

So, meeting in the middle;

Large chambers, vented.

So; That's how I tested the box, that's why I changed my goals, and that's why it's not installed :)

PS, I guess I'll have to change my sig to something that doesn't look like a box exploding. :) Will post diagram of new box plan tomorrow; I'm goin' to the bar.

swimfreak26
12-15-2004, 11:07 PM
Dont' change the box until you put it in your car...completely different response.

brandontw
12-16-2004, 12:10 AM
Dont' change the box until you put it in your car...completely different response.
true

theCybe
12-16-2004, 02:51 AM
Granted. Still, I think I can make whichever adjustments I'll need; The change of plans is major, we're not just cutting off an inch of port here. This has to do with the orientation, airspace, port configuration, and even the number of subs.

This is an entirely different box.

But your point is noted, and you're right.