PDA

View Full Version : Which HU Has The BEST Sound

Zinthesis
12-12-2004, 03:13 AM
I'd Really appreciate it if people don't reply 2 this thread with stupid pradictable comments like.. THERE IS NO BEST bla bla bla cuz thats bullshit and you know it

at the moment im saving up for the flagship Eclipse HU with the stunning 8V pre-outs

are there any other HU's out there that can match or surpass that?? plz help me :) :) thank you

JoseMCeee
12-12-2004, 03:18 AM
I'd Really appreciate it if people don't reply 2 this thread with stupid pradictable comments like.. THERE IS NO BEST bla bla bla cuz thats bullshit and you know it

at the moment im saving up for the flagship Eclipse HU with the stunning 8V pre-outs

are there any other HU's out there that can match or surpass that?? plz help me :) :) thank you

Thats kinda newbish of u to say that. Cuz the best could mean different things too different people. But im not even gonna get into that topic. Eclipse is nice with their high voltage outputs but i havent heard one yet and im not gonna recommend some thing that i havent tested myself. I own an alpine deck and its great to me. Play all mp3s good sq and it really makes music sound louder and cleaner. I have also heard a 7995 and that was extremely good.

Zinthesis
12-12-2004, 03:23 AM
kool.. i currently own alpines CDA-9815 and im upgrading...

and no not really.. there can only be 1 sort ov better sound..

any1 else know ov any companies that will produce a clearer and more expensive sound then the flagship eclise model?

supa_c
12-12-2004, 03:26 AM
A H/U that you cant afford

LBX2G
12-12-2004, 03:37 AM
u go with dennon or macintosh or even an old sony. OR if u want real **** get the alpine F1

LBX2G
12-12-2004, 03:45 AM
ok if u say soooooooooo.........

hoss
12-12-2004, 03:56 AM
its my personal oppinion that moving up from the 9815 is going to be difficult... not to say that it is the best HU out there, but for what it offers, it offers alot... i own the same HU and cant ask for a whole lot more... but if i were to move up in toerms of SQ, i would probably look at oler alpines... or a few eclpise units, or perhaps the denon/RF head unit. but what you have is a great head unit, and perhaps the only thing it lacks is the 24bit brown burrs, but i dont know if there would be a justifiable difference....

supa_c
12-12-2004, 03:58 AM
Stock = Best SQ
X2, my stock DELCO H/U has super clean reproduction !!!

killcrap
12-12-2004, 04:25 AM
i have the cd8454 it doesnt have the best sound at all at 13 watts rms. but if you get an outboard amp, it will sound nice, i'm getting the VGA500.4

i wish it was like the cd8053, this hu doesnt come with any MOSFET so its strictly SQ. but the reason i got the cd8454 was for the memory stick and mp3 player.

mj121983
12-12-2004, 05:19 AM
Eclipse 8053 is probably one of the best if not the best SQ HU you can get...aside from a few EXTREMELY EXPENSIVE HU's that yes...you probably can't afford. Beware though, if you get the 8053, you will need an external amplifier. The 8053 has no amp built in to it. Good luck.

supa_c
12-12-2004, 05:39 AM
You think he would use the internal amp, not likely

JLCivic
12-12-2004, 08:02 AM
Eclipse 8053 is probably one of the best if not the best SQ HU you can get...aside from a few EXTREMELY EXPENSIVE HU's that yes...you probably can't afford. Beware though, if you get the 8053, you will need an external amplifier. The 8053 has no amp built in to it. Good luck.

I had an 8053 and it was a great sounding deck(as were every other Eclipse deck I owned). I do believe the RF 8250 I have now sounds better.

JLCivic
12-12-2004, 08:03 AM
You think he would use the internal amp, not likely

It isn't likely, but I have seen people insist on having the best sounding deck they can since they are all about sq, yet run stock speakers off the internal amp. Their actions and their words don't match.

supa_c
12-12-2004, 08:12 AM
Thats some twisted logic :waycrazy:

Zinthesis
12-12-2004, 09:15 AM
wait wait wait.. ur tellin me the "" Eclipse - 8053 "" sounds nicer then the "" Eclipse - CD8454 "" ??? yeh iv got ALPINES MRV-F540 as the 4/ channel amp and 1 MRD-M1001 for the subs

JLCivic
12-12-2004, 11:21 AM
wait wait wait.. ur tellin me the "" Eclipse - 8053 "" sounds nicer then the "" Eclipse - CD8454 "" ??? yeh iv got ALPINES MRV-F540 as the 4/ channel amp and 1 MRD-M1001 for the subs

Well, look at it this way:

I don't see how the 8454 could sound better than the 8053(same dacs, etc). I don't know if you could tell a difference in sound between the 2 decks but since, with the 8053, you have no internal amp and the option of running balanced lines, if one has the potential to sound better than the other, it would be the 8053.

Now, if you care about mp3s, get the 8454.

johnecon2001
12-12-2004, 11:40 AM
Just get the eclipse commander add on for the 8053. Thats what I did and I can listen to MP3's. And as an audio coniseur myself... I must add that eclipse does have some very nice units sound quality wise, and I would have *** with mine if it had a ******.

johnecon2001
12-12-2004, 11:52 AM
As a follw up, some head units will sound good in different circumstances. Such as different vehicles, sound sources, and most importantly amplifiers. Since my amps rock, they could pretty much make a POS JVC sound good.. not to say that they don't to some peoples ears, but you know. Source units do make a difference in SQ, but good amps and speakers need to be factored in as well.

JLCivic
12-12-2004, 12:00 PM
Just get the eclipse commander add on for the 8053. Thats what I did and I can listen to MP3's. And as an audio coniseur myself... I must add that eclipse does have some very nice units sound quality wise, and I would have *** with mine if it had a ******.
For what a commander advance costs($300-$400??), I would buy an ipod and run it through the aux in if I cared about mp3 in the car.

bonesninja
12-12-2004, 12:12 PM
kool.. i currently own alpines CDA-9815 and im upgrading...

and no not really.. there can only be 1 sort ov better sound..

any1 else know ov any companies that will produce a clearer and more expensive sound then the flagship eclise model?
if your looking for a more expensive sound---lmao---just do some research and buy the most expensive deck out there. if your just looking to spend an insane amount of money on a headunit go for--me personally i'll stick with a functional unit because all my sound is externally amplified and adjusted anyway so the deck doesn't have alot to do with it. but if your dead set on spending a ton look into the f1 status from alpine--over a $1000 i beleive.

bonesninja
12-12-2004, 12:15 PM
if it has no internal amp exactly how does it become the best sq deck out? all of your signals would be amplified making the sound come from amps not the unit itself.

green_slip
12-12-2004, 12:16 PM
As a follw up, some head units will sound good in different circumstances. Such as different vehicles, sound sources, and most importantly amplifiers. Since my amps rock, they could pretty much make a POS JVC sound good.. not to say that they don't to some peoples ears, but you know. Source units do make a difference in SQ, but good amps and speakers need to be factored in as well.

FYI amps have nothing to do with the way something sounds all they do is amplify the sound produced.

bonesninja
12-12-2004, 12:17 PM
FYI amps have nothing to do with the way something sounds all they do is amplify the sound produced.lmao sure they don't

95RAM
12-12-2004, 12:19 PM
FYI amps have nothing to do with the way something sounds all they do is amplify the sound produced.

So...........................
what your saying is if i crank up my ****** pioneer coaxes it will sound just as good full blast as they do at volume 5 :bsflag: :bsflag:

johnecon2001
12-12-2004, 12:19 PM

yeah your on crack dude. total myth you just brought up there.

DBfan187
12-12-2004, 12:48 PM
lmao sure they don't
So...........................
what your saying is if i crank up my ****** pioneer coaxes it will sound just as good full blast as they do at volume 5 :bsflag: :bsflag:
yeah your on crack dude. total myth you just brought up there.
Why? Hopefully you guys do know that an amps job is to just amplify the signal. That's it.

BOT

I like eclipse. Easy to use, does what I want it to do.

johnecon2001
12-12-2004, 01:05 PM
Why? Hopefully you guys do know that an amps job is to just amplify the signal. That's it.

explain why there is such a large margin in the pricing structure then..

it certainly all isnt in workmanship..

bonesninja
12-12-2004, 01:06 PM
that would make Zapco and legacy equals.

DBfan187
12-12-2004, 01:31 PM
Build quality, options, reliabilty, Great Warrenty, ACTUALLY DOES WHAT IT SAYS!

Amps just amplify sound. That's it. When choosing one, you should get one that does RATED POWER, fits your budget, and is reliable.

Samething applies to HU's aswell.

johnecon2001
12-12-2004, 01:56 PM
but take jensen amps for example.. with higher distortion than normal amplifers, they make you system sound like poop. wheras a brax or tru amp, would make it sound like ****.

JLCivic
12-12-2004, 02:02 PM
if it has no internal amp exactly how does it become the best sq deck out? all of your signals would be amplified making the sound come from amps not the unit itself.

Huh? Are you implying that the amplifier in a head unit is somehow better than an external amplifier?

The signal is sent via the excellent pre outs to the outboard amplifiers.

bonesninja
12-12-2004, 04:03 PM
Huh? Are you implying that the amplifier in a head unit is somehow better than an external amplifier?

The signal is sent via the excellent pre outs to the outboard amplifiers.thats not what i'm saying at all---i'm saying the sq also has alot to do with the amplifier--get it?and then there is speakers to factor in. i don't care if you have the best deck ever made if you got a legacy amp and pyramid speakers whats the dam point.

JLCivic
12-12-2004, 04:43 PM
thats not what i'm saying at all---i'm saying the sq also has alot to do with the amplifier--get it?and then there is speakers to factor in. i don't care if you have the best deck ever made if you got a legacy amp and pyramid speakers whats the dam point.

I understand what you are saying now. I just didn't get that from what you posted before. :thumbupw:

jujumantb
12-12-2004, 04:56 PM
Amps have little to do with SQ as DBfan said, power is for the most part just power. Reliability is a big reason for price differences. Your deck factors in ALOT more than amps for SQ, if your deck is sending a shiddy signal to your amps, no, your "awesome" arc amps are not going to make it sound good, it will just amplify that crappy signal. Get it? Learn it. Amps are alot of marketting too. Like some of you think, more expensive must mean it sounds better, so you buy it not even knowing the science behind it. Stripped down, a legacy and a Mcintosh a/b sound the same at every given power output. Extra circuitry (eqs, x-overs, etc..) can factor in, making amps sound different when not stripped down tho. THD in amps is stupid to look at BTW, even your high end speakers have A TON more distortion than the measely .01 or whatever an amp might have.

DBfan187
12-12-2004, 05:08 PM
Amps have little to do with SQ as DBfan said, power is for the most part just power. Reliability is a big reason for price differences. Your deck factors in ALOT more than amps for SQ, if your deck is sending a shiddy signal to your amps, no, your "awesome" arc amps are not going to make it sound good, it will just amplify that crappy signal. Get it? Learn it. Amps are alot of marketting too. Like some of you think, more expensive must mean it sounds better, so you buy it not even knowing the science behind it. Stripped down, a legacy and a Mcintosh a/b sound the same at every given power output. Extra circuitry (eqs, x-overs, etc..) can factor in, making amps sound different when not stripped down tho. THD in amps is stupid to look at BTW, even your high end speakers have A TON more distortion than the measely .01 or whatever an amp might have.
Thank you for saving me the trouble.:thumbupw:

desertheat
12-12-2004, 10:41 PM
alpine 7909 and 7949 are my top pics.

LBX2G
12-12-2004, 10:50 PM
well in that case why does nobody run an earthquake on there door speakers. cus of there high THD

3.5Max6spd
12-13-2004, 12:27 AM

watts dont have sounds to them i agree, but an amps built, power supply and ammenities is what you pay for, and are the x factor- whats the point of driving high end speakers w/ a pos that makes more distortion?

Your comparisons **** monkey balls, a Mac amp with its superior build quality and use of higher grade (caps,resistors,transistors and overall design-including heat dissipation which helps efficiency) will put out less THD than a legacy amp at the same power output- thats what people pay for when they buy high end, they pay for quality and an overbuilt product

That RC crap is for the birds.......not all amps are created equal

Randy Savage
12-13-2004, 12:33 AM
The big difference between amplifiers is on board processing- find something that will do the power you need (and then some- headroom is good to have), and has good on board processing...and you're set.

jujumantb
12-13-2004, 03:33 AM
Your comparisons **** monkey balls, a Mac amp with its superior build quality and use of higher grade (caps,resistors,transistors and overall design-including heat dissipation which helps efficiency) will put out less THD than a legacy amp at the same power output- thats what people pay for when they buy high end, they pay for quality and an overbuilt product

That RC crap is for the birds.......not all amps are created equal
You didnt read....
I said that STRIPPED DOWN, they sound the same, ie no extra processing... But no, their "superior" caps, resistors, etc... are not going to make ANY audible distortion. Like I said THD on amps is never an issue, ALL speakers contribute A LOT more to distortion than any amp...

And you are obviously very unfamiliar with RCs bet.... Dont try to learn though, you will most likely not understand.

supa_c
12-13-2004, 03:57 AM
Yummm Hisssss:inlove:

jujumantb
12-13-2004, 04:04 AM
And your comparisons do **** because Legacy, Pyramid, etc. all have horrendously bad S/N ratios ... Gotta love that Hissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ...

Unless you get a bad batch, those "junkier" amps s/n ratios arent that bad at all. Forget published specs.. they dont mean anything unless they say what power the measurement was taken at. If you have worked with crappy brands (I've installed many for friends who get suckered into them), you would know that they are for the most part very clean, as in a higher end amp with even slight pollution in the signal would be louder. My comparison is the same as what RC test has never lost in.

jujumantb
12-13-2004, 04:07 AM
Yummm Hisssss:inlove:
Good post, you are quite the valued member of this forum, we all really enjoy reading about what you have in your system after every little one liner you type, atleast disable your sig if you are gonna just post crap... thanks.

supa_c
12-13-2004, 04:09 AM
Dont get all pissy pants . If you dont want it there just disable signatures in your user CP

EaC95z28
12-13-2004, 09:23 AM
hey. this is to the thread starter. if u are still readingg your thread i was wondering if u were planning on selling the 9815 to get another deck or so? if u are i was wondering how much u wanted for it. im in the market looking to get either a 9813 or a 9815 so let me know. u can shoot me an email at [email protected] thanks

audiolife
12-13-2004, 01:50 PM
if i was this guy i would look into getting the f-1 deck with outboard processor or go to http://www.matronics.com and look up gettin a used c-90 with a xdp-4000x. get a deck that wont send a clipped signal ever

Zinthesis
12-14-2004, 03:50 AM
hey. this is to the thread starter. if u are still readingg your thread i was wondering if u were planning on selling the 9815 to get another deck or so? if u are i was wondering how much u wanted for it. im in the market looking to get either a 9813 or a 9815 so let me know. u can shoot me an email at [email protected] thanks

sorry i already sold it ...

if i was this guy i would look into getting the f-1 deck with outboard processor or go to http://www.matronics.com and look up gettin a used c-90 with a xdp-4000x. get a deck that wont send a clipped signal ever

but the Alpine F-1 stereo is still a 4Volt Pre-Out unit isn't it ?? isn't quality in sound in head units measured by THD and Volt Pre-Out?

audiolife
12-14-2004, 06:38 AM
anything over 4v in my opinion is a waste unless you are dealing with a very very high noise floor. plus most of the eqs people use can be line drivers anyway ,plus if you have fiber optic out u will be dealing with DIGITAL processing over analog plus a whole slew of other factors i wouldnt agree with you at all,. i dont mean this in a way that your idea is bad but i think the reasons you would like the eclipse will stem more from the combined improvement over the alpine rather than the 2 you stated.with audio there is always more than meets the ear/eye and you have to find out with your mind. my best suggestion is explore your options FULLY and then pick...but it also boils down to $$$$

other factors are signal to noise ...stereo seperation.......there is alot but remember this .3% distortion by itself isnt audiable to a human ear its the combined effect equalling over 2% that we hear

Zinthesis
12-14-2004, 11:57 AM
ohok... well one of my favourite features of the CDA-9815 was that it had the DEFEAT option which disables MX and the EQ so it just had default sound.. the eq would probably make the songz i play sound better but it was too **** difficult and confusing to operate the eq... apparently the eclipse units have an ADVANCED and SIMPLE mode which will make my life ezier too.. i dunno.. i guess i want a simple head unit that puts out beautiful sound and still with the features of MP3 and the rest

3.5Max6spd
12-14-2004, 12:31 PM
Zinthesis, I havent ran my EQ probably since summer time- on defeat my Eclipse is as stellar as they can possibly come out of the box-good choice

JoseMCeee
12-14-2004, 02:44 PM
ohok... well one of my favourite features of the CDA-9815 was that it had the DEFEAT option which disables MX and the EQ so it just had default sound.. the eq would probably make the songz i play sound better but it was too **** difficult and confusing to operate the eq... apparently the eclipse units have an ADVANCED and SIMPLE mode which will make my life ezier too.. i dunno.. i guess i want a simple head unit that puts out beautiful sound and still with the features of MP3 and the rest

You listen to your deck on defeat mode or with the mx and eq? I havent really played around with it but what i noticed is that the bass is almost nothing with the defeat on.

spyd3r
12-14-2004, 11:48 PM
sheesh..this board still has no clue about sq.... ;)

All the hu out today ****.....thats the cold truth... (yea naks.. and mcintoshes and even denons blow these days)

Companies abandoned making sq units a long time ago and focus on production costs....
What makes a good receiver is internal resistance and read distortion rates...
I still would rather run a new Eclipse unit than any other today if I had to no other choice but i do. :)

You want to know the ultimate unit ever made...well thats easy... Eclipse ECD-416
Too bad its been out of production for almost a decade :thumbupw:

As sq amps...nothing beats a pure A class combined with some knowledge and watercooling equipment ....(coughcoughppiartcoughcough) :evil:

Scarenius
12-15-2004, 12:10 AM
spyd3r = right.

And regarding the good amp against bad amp, the difference only occurs once the setup is done improperly. My Rival is a perfect example of this. His 2 amps? A Pyramid Gold Competition 600 watt amp, and a Viper 400.2. I've heard both attached to his subs, and mine in both his and my vehicles. The difference? Well, all I can tell you, since watts is watts, those extra 200 watts in the Viper must be a gift from God. It's the only way to explain the richer, deeper, louder, cleaner bass coming out of the Viper. My PA amp can hardly keep up, and I consider that a pretty nice amp.

As for class A amps... meh, I'd much rather take a class G, I'm almost certain at the same power output, distortion would be about the same. Plus there's no pesky water cooling system. Although, you could just use the car's frame as a heatsink....

audiolife
12-15-2004, 04:33 AM
i like decks that can go digital out and when you have an rta eqs are bad ***. so you guys are saying like the best deck ever was the alpine 7909? they guys that run those usually have modded them a great deal

desertheat
12-16-2004, 07:11 PM
7909 is the father of all sq decks and what what all sq decks are compared to by pros. They was a killer unit. I never hear anyone rave about eclipse and I hated them 6 years ago when we used to sell them. I myself still stick with old school decks, my fav besides the 7909 is the 7949, all copper chassis, underated 4v preout "5v clean" fiber optic out and not many features.. just hardcore sq only the way it should be.

audiolife
12-16-2004, 08:32 PM
i thought pioneer premier owned that roll as first true high proformance decks . i had an old one that was the first deck with 4 volt outputs lord i cant remember the model number lol was made like 90 or earlier like 89

supa_c
12-16-2004, 08:56 PM
What do you guys think about the pioneer DEH-P9300 ?
Good SQ deck ?

LBX2G
12-16-2004, 10:46 PM
i do not kno about the SQ of the deck but it is an nice *** deck period. That deck is fukin sweet.

Shugarra
12-17-2004, 02:20 AM
If you're looking to spend money the Denon DCT-1 is a scant $2000. Werewolf seemed to think the Clarion DRX 9255 was built really well and he seems like a smart guy: http://forum.elitecaraudio.com/showthread.php?threadid=96611 . Other than that get the one that has the features you want in the price range you can afford and I'm sure you'll be happy.