PDA

View Full Version : Final box plan for the mtx 10's

brandontw
12-09-2004, 11:32 PM
Ok here it is, it is about 4.1 cubes after all displacements 57.375 Sq inches or port, and tuned to ~39 HZ (jmac, correct me if im wrong). im going to start building it tomorrow. please tell me what yall think of it. What would you change if it was your box? I want this to be right, cause im going to put a bit of money and work into it.

Im Teaching myself how to use autocad, and i just figured out how to do isometric, so forgive me it there is anything funky(and tell me what it is)

http://img85.exs.cx/img85/3599/isomtxboxfinal2ef.jpg
and the subs that are going in it........
http://img32.exs.cx/img32/3263/dec090051xf.jpg

brandontw
12-10-2004, 12:02 AM
bumpe before bed, i have work early, so dont let me down guys, a little feedback????????

brandontw
12-10-2004, 06:29 AM
bump before i leave for work(yes its 3:30am)

req
12-10-2004, 07:58 AM
just FYI, you measured to make sure you have 15" of verticle clearance and 35 of horizontal.

make sure it will fit in the opening of your trunk. i built a box and didnt factor in the extra 2" that the little trunk hook took away... and so the box dosnt fit in the ****ing trunk. its sitting in the back seat right now... really *****.

so make sure when you design this, the **** thing can fit thru the hole.

theCybe
12-10-2004, 10:04 AM
Good idea, maybe I'll add a panel after it's done, to make it a huge pain in the *** to remove.

Brandon, I'm interested in how much this thing is gonna weigh. :)

I know the subs alone are 78lbs.

A car that sounds great is awesome, but cars are for driving - and fast :)

I'll bet I get oversteer now. !@$^$. An extra 200lbs in the trunk makes my weight ratio like .. well wait. It raises my center of gravity, but nearly evens my balance front to back.

This should be interesting.

.: adjusts coilovers :.

theCybe
12-10-2004, 10:26 AM
Bah. I don't like how these fire upward =-\

Yo Jmac / Anyone;

Would it be a terrible idea to switch the staggering of the subs?

Seems like a more effecient use of space;

Is it a problem to have the sub closer to the port?

theCybe
12-10-2004, 11:28 AM
I'm gonna build this box to compare; By your calculations, I'm assuming the front and rear panels ( not shown ) are inset; in otherwords, 29x13.5 and 34x13.5; is this your plan?

Jmac, I'm preparing a box propsal for you.

Hex shaped, with each of the 4 subs dumping their vents into a seperate empty vented chamber. Should be fun, perhaps a masterpiece; get your protractor. :)

brandontw
12-10-2004, 03:16 PM
Bah. I don't like how these fire upward =-\

Yo Jmac / Anyone;

Would it be a terrible idea to switch the staggering of the subs?

Seems like a more effecient use of space;

Is it a problem to have the sub closer to the port?
bah, neither do i .but they wont fit any other way, so thats the way ittle have to go.

and req, i checked the fitting into the lid first thats what i was worried about, and y dont you just take the latch of, throw your box in, then but it back on?

i just got off work, and stopped at home depot on the way home, and now i have 3- 13.5X49 strips, and 2-20.5x49 strips to work with, but the port can still change, please tell me if the port looks bad, im still worried about it, i used knowledge out of my own head, and that scares me.

brandontw
12-10-2004, 03:24 PM
I'm gonna build this box to compare; By your calculations, I'm assuming the front and rear panels ( not shown ) are inset; in otherwords, 29x13.5 and 34x13.5; is this your plan?
:)
im not sure what you mean, the box is just a rectangle, no trapezoid action here;)

brandontw
12-10-2004, 04:22 PM
alright im going to start building it in excatly 15 minutes, last chance to stop me from doing something terrible!!!

btnhfan
12-10-2004, 04:58 PM
Post up pics when its done.

almo181
12-10-2004, 05:29 PM
also on autcad you have do this thing called obliquing diemensions so they line up wit the boc not a big deal but makes your drawings look better. obliquing is hard to ecplain but basically you click deimension edit then type o then enter. then click on the dimension you want to oblique the right click click on the node of your dimension(the end of it) then make the line pararell or basically the same way as the other line up to it (if that makes sense) this website has some good info about dimensions about autocad http://www.cadtutor.net/acad/acadr14/dims/dims.html#aln
any questions just ask, i know how to use autcad (dimensionsare easier to see if they are green)

brandontw
12-12-2004, 02:05 PM
someone sent me this PM for help, and i figured a few people might need to know the anwser, soo......

yo man muh name is josh from honolulu hawaii aloha yo i jus wanted fo knoe well im tryna build a box for 4 10" 8000 mtx subs and i was jus wonderin what the dimensions are im going to the local hardware store and cuttin the woodbut idk how big to cut it because idk wut the volume is so pleez help me out im not a newbie i knoe whut im doin i jus never built a box this big before thanx a lot man i really apppreciate

http://forums.caraudio.com/vb/showthread.php?p=662780#post662780

http://forums.caraudio.com/vb/showthread.php?t=78547

http://forums.caraudio.com/vb/showthread.php?t=78456

http://forums.caraudio.com/vb/showthread.php?t=77683

those are all the treads i have started to get help on this subject, you can read through these and mabye start one or two of your own. i was very restricted by space, so i had to make my box the smallest i could without sacrificeing performace, and you have to calculate your volume by using the inside dimensions then taking away .8 for each sub, then measure how much space your port will take up, then youll have your volume, someone suggested 4.8 after displacement with 80 sq inches of port tuned to about 45 hz, but that is for more spl than anything. your box needs will differ from mine because you may want more spl than sq or a mix of both, and your available dimensions will probly be different that mine unless you also have a taurus, jmac will help you out for 10 bucks and get you a good plan going, i just wanted to do it on my own cause im stubborn

theCybe
12-12-2004, 07:54 PM
I finished that box build tonight, and dropped the subs in.

Then I stepped back, and said;

GOT-DAYMN. That bish looks seriously overloaded. Maybe it's because the subs almost touch the box-borders. Maybe 'cause the box is naked.

But really.

It looks like way too much woofer for the space :)

And heavy as *****, too.

I think I might split to two boxes. I haven't amped 'em up yet, I ph33r.

How's yours lookin'?

brandontw
12-13-2004, 01:03 AM
well i havent worked on mine all weekend(skied and partied) so its lookin the same, it weird that you finished my box before i did... tell me how it sounds if you get it plugged in, did you put the extra little peice on to add to the port legth like i did at the last minute? or is your going to be tuned higher?, and yes i test fit my subs and it looks very overloaded, hopefully its decent still, they still have like 1cube per sub, so it shouldnt be too bad, and what did you do for bracing? hook me up with some pics before you install that bish!!!!

theCybe
12-13-2004, 08:59 AM
I don't have a digicam :)
For bracing, just two posts;

New plan:

3.1^3 ( on each side - 2 subs on one side, 2 on the other )

I'm at work, and don't have a photo editor (Macintosh.) but I'll post my diagram when I work it out.

I'm gonna see what I can do about converting your plan to suit this JL 15w0 I have onhand in a grossly undersized box.

The main reason I'm bailing out on your plan is that something just doesn't look right. I feel like the top panel needs to be larger, perhaps with the box more squat. I considered splitting the project into two boxes, which may still be an option, depending on how my measurements work out.

I want a lower tune, and I'm not blasting at full volume ( if i can help it. :))

The 3.1^3 / 2 dimension was given to me by a buddy who's made Team RF. I can't breathe in his truck. So I think I'll give it a shot. =)

req
12-13-2004, 09:57 AM
bah, neither do i .but they wont fit any other way, so thats the way ittle have to go.

and req, i checked the fitting into the lid first thats what i was worried about, and y dont you just take the latch of, throw your box in, then but it back on?

i just got off work, and stopped at home depot on the way home, and now i have 3- 13.5X49 strips, and 2-20.5x49 strips to work with, but the port can still change, please tell me if the port looks bad, im still worried about it, i used knowledge out of my own head, and that scares me.

cuz it was welded on :uhoh:

oh well.

brandontw
12-13-2004, 03:32 PM
I don't have a digicam :)
For bracing, just two posts;

New plan:

3.1^3 ( on each side - 2 subs on one side, 2 on the other )

I'm at work, and don't have a photo editor (Macintosh.) but I'll post my diagram when I work it out.

I'm gonna see what I can do about converting your plan to suit this JL 15w0 I have onhand in a grossly undersized box.

The main reason I'm bailing out on your plan is that something just doesn't look right. I feel like the top panel needs to be larger, perhaps with the box more squat. I considered splitting the project into two boxes, which may still be an option, depending on how my measurements work out.

I want a lower tune, and I'm not blasting at full volume ( if i can help it. :))

The 3.1^3 / 2 dimension was given to me by a buddy who's made Team RF. I can't breathe in his truck. So I think I'll give it a shot. =)

someone suggested not to out the subs on two different sides becasue i may get cancelation,. cause thats waht i was going to do originally, 2 on front and 2 on top, and like i said, i have limmeted options, im beginning to think 4 tens might have been a little overzealous(i dont have the room) but ill give it a shot anyway