PDA

View Full Version : Cancel rear fill upgrade? How many did this?

Getwild2
12-07-2004, 08:54 PM
How many people cancel upgrading their rear fill?

I plan on getting these for my front stage...(Focal 165K2)
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=11709

pushed by this...(Soundstream Van Gogh VGA400.2)
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=14470

I planned on getting Focal 100CA's for the rear for $109 but if it is a waste of money, I can spend it better elsewhere.

What's the consensus? Cancel rear fill upgrade and stay factory or upgrade rear fill for $109?

bonesninja
12-07-2004, 09:02 PM
depends on who you talk to---in my opinion--i love rear fill lots of others on hear thinks its not necessary/don't like it. when i took my rear fill out it ******(even with good comps) so i put it back in nd i will always have rear sounds man.

kickerlivinloud
12-07-2004, 09:06 PM
I currently have my stock speakers as my rear fill. I put them back in for the main reason of that I take a lot of ppl places (school, and other places) and not all of them injoy my heart throbing bass like I do so I just kill the amp and use them to listen to music at resonable levels. Other then that rear fill is a pain for me. When I made my box I made it just a hair to high so that they got in the way. I fixed that problem just to make another problem. That is the only reason I use it...

Jon

Getwild2
12-07-2004, 09:07 PM
depends on who you talk to---in my opinion--i love rear fill lots of others on hear thinks its not necessary/don't like it. when i took my rear fill out it ******(even with good comps) so i put it back in nd i will always have rear sounds man.
Well I am definitely going to KEEP my rear fill, I just didnt know wheather I should stick with the factory speakers and spend the money elsewhere or just upgrade them now? I will eventually upgrade them but I'm just not sure if I should do it now or wait and use the money for a nicer sub or something?!

squeak9798
12-07-2004, 09:08 PM
IMO if you have an adequate front stage, rear fill is unnecessary. I haven't had rear fill in 5 years, and haven't missed it a bit.

bonesninja
12-07-2004, 09:12 PM
Well I am definitely going to KEEP my rear fill, I just didnt know wheather I should stick with the factory speakers and spend the money elsewhere or just upgrade them now? I will eventually upgrade them but I'm just not sure if I should do it now or wait and use the money for a nicer sub or something?!
i would spend on other areas first i.e. sub or amp --- then make up your mind as to if you want to keep/upgrade. i will always have mine but i do feel its the LEAST important part of my system hence the area where i would spend the least amount of time/money on .

audiolife
12-08-2004, 03:21 AM
its cause your fronts are set up wrong, not trying to sound like a jackass either one of these days when i get another isca disc ill show u

ANeonRider
12-08-2004, 03:34 AM
IMO if you have an adequate from stage, rear fill is unnecessary. I haven't had rear fill in 5 years, and haven't missed it a bit.

Same here. Even my rear passengers can't tell, they are shocked when I tell them that there are no rear speakers.

supa_c
12-08-2004, 03:37 AM
I just cooked the stock rear fills with an amp.
POP ! goes the weasle, and my HK4000D wouldnt blow them, the protection wouldnt let me

icemayne696
12-08-2004, 07:37 AM
Puttin any money situation aside, wouldnt it sound better say if you had a component set in the front and rear? tweeters in front and rear, as well as mids? Maybe its juss me but i like the sound not coming from only one direction :moon:

95RAM
12-08-2004, 09:30 AM
i say you put a midbass driver in the back
then a comp up front with possibly a image inhancement kit or equivelant up front --> I think that would be pretty awesome.

3.5Max6spd
12-08-2004, 10:02 AM
I like my rear fill, its subtle- if you drive a mid to large size sedan rear passengers will hear/feel the subs pounding away at their back no matter how good you fronstage is, rear fill IMO adds a lil' more back there...my 0.02

DFW40
12-08-2004, 10:09 AM
If you had a 4 channel amp or a seperate amp for the rear fill I'd say go ahead. That way assuming you were using front and rear inputs you could use your fader to cutout the rearfill when you wanted to and kick them back in if you wanted to. You could also run them off of your deck's rear two channels and use the fader this way as well.

icemayne696
12-08-2004, 10:36 AM
i say you put a midbass driver in the back
then a comp up front with possibly a image inhancement kit or equivelant up front --> I think that would be pretty awesome.

What does a image enhancement kit entail?

squeak9798
12-08-2004, 10:42 AM
What does a image enhancement kit entail?

Image enhancement kit = auxillary tweeter (usually mounted in the a-pillar) = bandaid for a poor install of the "main" speakers

ngsm13
12-08-2004, 10:44 AM
IMO if you have an adequate front stage, rear fill is unnecessary. I haven't had rear fill in 5 years, and haven't missed it a bit.

Yup, that's the moral of the story...i haven't had rear fill in over 2 years. I had some back there...powered off of my alpin v-drive HU (getting about 30rms x2) and i listened to music while turning the internal amp on the HU on and off...i did it for about 20 minutes, and i honestly could not notice the difference when i had rear fill on and when i didn't. SO, no rear fill for me. peace

NG

ngsm13
12-08-2004, 10:47 AM
Puttin any money situation aside, wouldnt it sound better say if you had a component set in the front and rear? tweeters in front and rear, as well as mids? Maybe its juss me but i like the sound not coming from only one direction :moon:

that would pull you sound stage to the rear. If you have your front components set up and tuned correctly...it SHOULD sound like the sound is coming from all around you...especially from the center of your dash. With my components and about 200rms per side...it sound exquisite...it fills my truck with sound! peace

NG

squeak9798
12-08-2004, 10:50 AM

As mentioned, having strong components in the back will pull the soundstage behind you. And, as the old example goes, when was the last time you went to a concert and any of the band members stood behind you?

iceteebone
12-08-2004, 11:08 AM
i found that putting comps in some kicks with good power is all you need. it doesn't sound like the sound is coming from one side or the other, but it's centered. i drive a 95 jeep grand cherokee so it's big and i don't use rearfill. i don't give a **** if people sitting in the back can hear or not. :)

Johnny Drama
12-08-2004, 11:15 AM
I have a single cab truck so when I had the rear fill hooked up it would play right in my ear. Unhooked it and have never been more happy. Using the CDT CL-61s with a 90 watt JL amp, soon to be 300 watts to them!!

woahloud
12-08-2004, 03:18 PM
I just cooked the stock rear fills with an amp.
POP ! goes the weasle, and my HK4000D wouldnt blow them, the protection wouldnt let me

Haha.. I did the same thing basically...

Hooked my BOSE door speakers out of my maxima(well, old car. sold it), and put it on my 601s amp. Things were movin so much. Left it on there for about 2 min's, and didn't blow. Weird... :pissed:

audiolife
12-08-2004, 03:39 PM
not only that but when rear fill pulls back your soundstage it muddies everything up bad. you wouldnt notice until u a b tested it with a proper set up. if you are just running fronts and it doesnt sound right knock a tweeter or a mid on one side 180 degrees out of phase sooner or later you'll get it right (20 mins of work tops). with rear fill the sound literally fights with the front

bonesninja
12-08-2004, 05:33 PM
As mentioned, having strong components in the back will pull the soundstage behind you. And, as the old example goes, when was the last time you went to a concert and any of the band members stood behind you?
like i said to each his own---and my idea of how i like y sound is coming from all around me not just from the front.---when i'm in my car i don't want to feel like i'm at a concert---i want to feel like i'm in my car with sounds coming from al around. but like i said it's all up to the owner of that car.

squeak9798
12-08-2004, 05:54 PM
like i said to each his own---and my idea of how i like y sound is coming from all around me not just from the front.---when i'm in my car i don't want to feel like i'm at a concert---i want to feel like i'm in my car with sounds coming from al around. but like i said it's all up to the owner of that car.

Not trying to put you down or tell you that you can't have your own opinion, because you can, but have you ever listened to a car that imaged and soundstage properly? Not just some guy down the street with components in his doors, but a car that was actually set up properly? Just curious :) If you have and you didn't like how it sounded, then mo' power to ya :thumbsup:

I just think that normally people with a view similar to yours haven't heard a good and properly set up stereo. But I could be wrong. Like you said, it is an opinion thing.

audiolife
12-08-2004, 07:59 PM

propper front stage done right doesnt sound like its just in front of you. when done right it doesnt sound like speakers and you cant point them out when you shut your eyes

srootster
12-22-2004, 12:43 AM
it depends on the fills location. i gave a 2000 gti and the rear fill is almost in my right ear so it acts almost like a front. i upgraded mu front to kappa perects and the rear fills lack of quality was annoying. if its in the rear package tray, you shouldn't really hear them if your front fill is up to par, imo.

ngsm13
12-22-2004, 02:07 AM
it depends on the fills location. i gave a 2000 gti and the rear fill is almost in my right ear so it acts almost like a front. i upgraded mu front to kappa perects and the rear fills lack of quality was annoying. if its in the rear package tray, you shouldn't really hear them if your front fill is up to par, imo.

Where you from in cincinnati?!?!?!

NG

srootster
12-22-2004, 03:56 PM
springfield township. right next to frisbee golf in winton woods.