PDA

View Full Version : who here is runnin RE comp set? need some help

IgnoreMe
12-07-2004, 01:27 PM
just wondering. also how much power you puttin to them. ive been messing with them for a while and i really like them. they are lots better than my cdts were. well either way im runnin about 80 watts to them and im gettin a little distortion from them. i heard snova ran 150 watts to them. just wondering how you ran that much power to them without making them distort. using my HU's equalizer i have everything set to flat. when i start to increase the 150hz range of course i get more bass coing from them and it sounds good. higher up in the frequency 10k 12k and 15k i move that up and i can make the tweeters pretty **** loud. of course i dont set it to where it hurts but just to make it sound the way i want it. now when in the 2khz range when i move that up that what i start to get distortion. it sounds like my tweeters start to distort a little. now is it just from overpowering them, or is the eq settings just not optimal or what? again im wondering this cause snova said he ran 150 watts to them uneq'd.

Sleeklsc
12-07-2004, 11:05 PM
snova031 runs re's

IgnoreMe
12-08-2004, 12:51 AM
snova031 runs re's
i know lol. i was hopin for a little more than that ;)

repo24
12-08-2004, 01:51 AM
I'm running 50 US amps watts to them...so probably around 80+ and i'm getting no problems, the tweeter does seem to be quite harsh at some times though...oh, and snova is running 2 xtant a2002t's ;)

BTW, do you have the tweets mounted off axis or on?

TeamPSI
12-08-2004, 01:51 AM
It's because the tweeters play pretty low ~2500hz. Once you crank them within the 2,500-5000 range they are not capable of keeping up. The tweeters start to break up, and sound "harsh".

The reason this happens is....
The components were made to run with low power levels...50w or so.

If you want to get more volume from them you need to use an active crossover network, and cross the mids/tweeters over higher (4,000+hz).

Randy Savage
12-08-2004, 01:55 AM
I ran my Memphis amp on them for a bit, which was 150x2...and the tweets were a tad harsh. Switched to the Xtant's (just using one right now, going active with another Xtant though), and it's doing 50x2, and the tweet sounds much better.

Sleeklsc
12-08-2004, 02:30 AM
i know lol. i was hopin for a little more than that ;)

"sniff" Sniff" just tryin to help out :bawling:

IgnoreMe
12-08-2004, 04:27 AM
It's because the tweeters play pretty low ~2500hz. Once you crank them within the 2,500-5000 range they are not capable of keeping up. The tweeters start to break up, and sound "harsh".

The reason this happens is....
The components were made to run with low power levels...50w or so.

If you want to get more volume from them you need to use an active crossover network, and cross the mids/tweeters over higher (4,000+hz).
ok sweet. nice to get an RE dude to explain whats going on. so far the only experience i have with crossovers is hookin the wires up to them lol. how exactly would i go about getting an active crossover? are they available online or something or do i have to build one or what? thanks man.

sbcaprice: dont even trip lol notice the smiley at the end, it was just a harmless joke.

IgnoreMe
12-08-2004, 03:03 PM
bump ^

Sleeklsc
12-08-2004, 09:42 PM
lol, i no. mine was as well..

im not that sensitive:)

IgnoreMe
12-09-2004, 10:09 AM
anyone willing to help with this active crossover thing?

squeak9798
12-09-2004, 11:24 AM
Active crossover - http://www.cardomain.com/item/COUXM6

Now, the catch is, each speaker has to have it's own channel ;) What's this mean? For 4 speakers (two mids and two tweeters), you need atleast a 4-channel amp, and each channel needs to have it's own input channel (which is fed from the active xover).

Randy Savage
12-09-2004, 11:29 AM
or 2 2 channel amps...:)

luckiebrand13
12-09-2004, 11:31 AM
just wondering. also how much power you puttin to them. ive been messing with them for a while and i really like them. they are lots better than my cdts were. well either way im runnin about 80 watts to them and im gettin a little distortion from them. i heard snova ran 150 watts to them. just wondering how you ran that much power to them without making them distort. using my HU's equalizer i have everything set to flat. when i start to increase the 150hz range of course i get more bass coing from them and it sounds good. higher up in the frequency 10k 12k and 15k i move that up and i can make the tweeters pretty **** loud. of course i dont set it to where it hurts but just to make it sound the way i want it. now when in the 2khz range when i move that up that what i start to get distortion. it sounds like my tweeters start to distort a little. now is it just from overpowering them, or is the eq settings just not optimal or what? again im wondering this cause snova said he ran 150 watts to them uneq'd.

what is your input sensitivity at?

squeak9798
12-09-2004, 11:33 AM
or 2 2 channel amps...:)

Or 4 one channel amps :moon:

Randy Savage
12-09-2004, 11:36 AM
Or 4 one channel amps :moon:

:stuck:

IgnoreMe
12-09-2004, 01:05 PM
Active crossover - http://www.cardomain.com/item/COUXM6

Now, the catch is, each speaker has to have it's own channel ;) What's this mean? For 4 speakers (two mids and two tweeters), you need atleast a 4-channel amp, and each channel needs to have it's own input channel (which is fed from the active xover).
ok thats making sense. you can adjust the xover for 1 tweet on 1 channel without this also affecting the mid, so i understand. now thats more than i really wanna do. i dont need another amp lol.

luckybrand: what do you mean input sensitivity? the gain?