PDA

View Full Version : Help competing

btnhfan
12-06-2004, 02:32 AM
I would like to compete come the next season. My setup is listed below, and I plan on deadening my trunk soon, as well as building a much bigger box for comps. Does anyone have any suggestions of how to go about this; like what class, and what group?

As a senior in high school, we are all required to do a senior project, and I was thinking my could be project 150dbs in my civc. No one has done that before. and with what I currently have, I think it is feasible with the right install. Also I have a budget of $100 to buy whatever it is I need if I was going to do this, not including what I have now. Let me know what you think.

squeak9798
12-06-2004, 02:38 AM
Step #1 should be deciding what organization you want to go with. IMO the best thing to do is hop onto to all the org's websites and seeing who hosts the most events in your area. No point in signing up for DBDrag if you only have 1 show in your area the entire season when MECA has 10 (I have no idea who has what in your area, that was just for demonstration purposes). Then step #2 is deciding on class.....being a novice, IMO you'll want to try to stay in the lowest class you can. Then you need to read up on the rules and get your car and setup in compliance. Read them 2 or 3 times before you even touch your car (that way you don't have to redo something you just did because you read the rules wrong, or get bumped into a class you didn't want to be in), and don't be afraid to ask questions if you don't understand something.

Looney_Tune
12-06-2004, 02:57 AM
sounds fun for a school project.

btnhfan
12-06-2004, 08:46 PM
So I was looking through all the links at the top, and so far I couldnt find who had a lot of events scheduled in my area, New England and the Tri-State area.

Also its hard to tell about what classes I should go in, weather to use 1 15" with a big box, or 2 15"s with a medium box. And my car isnt stock either, like part of the enigine and other pieces of the car. Does anyone have any suggestions about what class? It is a honda civic ex 1999.

InhumanAcura
12-06-2004, 09:30 PM
So I was looking through all the links at the top, and so far I couldnt find who had a lot of events scheduled in my area, New England and the Tri-State area.

Also its hard to tell about what classes I should go in, weather to use 1 15" with a big box, or 2 15"s with a medium box. And my car isnt stock either, like part of the enigine and other pieces of the car. Does anyone have any suggestions about what class? It is a honda civic ex 1999.

Stock applies to the stereo configuration, not the car...Stock basically means your box (including the subs, amps, etc) cannot go above the window line in a SUV, truck, hatchback etc...Different sanctioning bodies have different rules as far as extra batteries and alt.

USACi and MECA (not 100% sure on MECA) go by the 4ohm ratings. Like Moe Lester and I compete in 301-900 watts meaning we cant have more than a 4ohm rating of 900 watts. But, we can use as many subs of any size we like....

DbDrag and SLAP go by cone area. In DbDrag you can only have a certain amount of amps/batteries in each class as well. SLAP you can use as many batteries and amps as you please.

IASCA and IDBL Im unfamiliar with...

All in all I like the rules that apply in SLAP the best, but they dont frequent my area as much as USACi does...

btnhfan
12-07-2004, 02:40 PM
USACI and MECA sound like what I should look into. My American Bass amp is rated at 40w at 4 ohms, but puts out 1700w at 2 ohms, and 2200w at 1 ohm, while my alpine is 40wx4 at 4 ohms. Thanks for the help, Ill look more into those.

Nikuk
12-07-2004, 02:59 PM
40@4 but 2k @ 2??

If thats so, You'd love Meca.

req
12-07-2004, 03:00 PM
you should seriously make sure that the ab amp isnt outlaw. sometimes amps that are so underrated have been spotted before.

but 2 DD3515's should kick the crap outta anyone if you install them right.

btnhfan
12-07-2004, 03:19 PM
How do I check that? Is there a site somewhere that tells me? Because if it is outlaw that would **** I guess compared to what it could be.

InhumanAcura
12-08-2004, 05:46 PM
How do I check that? Is there a site somewhere that tells me? Because if it is outlaw that would **** I guess compared to what it could be.

American Bass has bunk ratings...You have to choose your amps well, it would **** to have the same amp all year in a certain class, then come finals they re-rate it..Which has happened MANY times..

The way it >should< work is if the amp is rated at 2200@1 it will be divided into 1100@2 ohms, and 550@4...Which would throw you in my class for USAC....

For more info on USAC go to www.soundoff.org or www.carsound.com and look for the USAC section...

btnhfan
12-08-2004, 10:03 PM
Thanks for that. I really dont wana change my amp or anything, and my goal isnt winning, but breaking 150db. Is this a feasible goal or no?

Moe Lester
12-08-2004, 10:32 PM
were doin 151.7 with ~2KW, soon to be 153+. i would imagine you could do 150 if you know what you are doing.

btnhfan
12-08-2004, 10:40 PM
Okay. Looks like me and my friend that is a girl, not girlfriend, are doing this together for out senior project. It should be pretty sick. We are getting a wood sponsorship from this person we know who is a distributor, and maybe a local shop in for wire.