PDA

View Full Version : Building a sealed box

joeldirt
12-04-2004, 10:58 PM
I just wnated to share a bit with how I assemble my boxes. I am actually curious if I am the only one that does this. I am not going to get into calculating box volume, just how I construct it. I hear that rigidity, and strength are very important in any enclosure. Also, integrity as far as "air tight" goes is also important. So, I figure this step just makes sence if you are gona build your own box, you obviously have the access to the tools. By making the box fit together like a puzzel, where the walls actually fit into grooves, liberally apllying glue (I use tougher then nails. it comes in a caulking tube... badd ***!) in those joints, it is virtually impossible for any air ever to escape. Not only that but the strength and rigity allow you have basically an indestructible box. Generally people just butt the ends of the boards together, glue them and nail or screw them, then add a bead of caulking on the inside. Yeah you could achieve an air tight box, but I am serious about how much more strength you get out of these joints. For high powered subs I would def add this step into building it. If you are going to go the extra mile to buy nice components, go the extra mile with the box, you will achieve a more quality built box tough as hell not to mention the sound quality. Some peopl will say this is not necesary..... Its not however try it and you would notice a difference. Tell me what you all think.

supa_c
12-04-2004, 11:00 PM
Not everyone has a dato blade in there tool box.
And changing them isnt easy

joeldirt
12-04-2004, 11:05 PM
I actually use my router for all of the joints. It works well. you can actually do this all with a skill saw and a router if you had to. I know I have had to due to lack of access to the shop. It really isnt that hard, and you know changing bitrs. it takes a total of 1 minute. This stepp all in all is adding more time..... But it's worth it.

supa_c
12-04-2004, 11:07 PM
Ohhh...
Well, then i need a router !
P.S
i knew a router could do that, i just wasnt thinking :banghead:

DBfan187
12-04-2004, 11:09 PM
I use resin.

joeldirt
12-04-2004, 11:13 PM
doesnt that make for an extreamly heavy box?

supa_c
12-04-2004, 11:13 PM
I use two layers of 1" MDF ...must be some heavy SOB's then

joeldirt
12-04-2004, 11:49 PM
also, for low powered subs (500 rms or less) wouldnt that absorb the bass.

amedeuce
12-05-2004, 01:59 AM
I think if you use dados throughout the assembly of the enclosure it will require less bracing.
And changing dado blades in my table saw takes me like 2 mins. max. You can also use a router do cut dados.
dados not only makes the box stronger but give it more glueing area/which does make it stronger
You just have to take into account the area you lose by dadoing.

joeldirt
12-05-2004, 03:37 AM
I think if you use dados throughout the assembly of the enclosure it will require less bracing.
And changing dado blades in my table saw takes me like 2 mins. max. You can also use a router do cut dados.
dados not only makes the box stronger but give it more glueing area/which does make it stronger
You just have to take into account the area you lose by dadoing.

Right. I know it takes a bit more time to actually put into the construction of the box, however I believe its worth it.

joeldirt
12-08-2004, 04:23 AM
I use resin.

Using resin would work I am sure to seal the interior of the box. But what about if it eventually cracks inside the box at the joints, and then you begin to loose air tight integrity? Or what if it doesnt adhere to the interior of the box after a while and rattles arroudn inside after falling in like broken chips? I mainly take this step to add strength and rigidity. No needing to add extra boards. that makes it too heavy. no adding anyhting inside the box for sealing purposes...... no need to. I am one of those guys that is peticular about construction quality and strength as well as sound quality. this is the BEST way for weight, strength, airtight, and SQ.

DFW40
12-09-2004, 05:12 PM
I have though about doing something like this as well but don't most boxes flex on the large flat side of the boards and not really at the joints?

Moe Lester
12-09-2004, 06:59 PM
since the wood glue I use makes a bond stronger than the MDF itself, i dont think cutting dados isnt going to help much if at all.

amedeuce
12-09-2004, 10:53 PM
Dados give you more glueing area, easier assembly, very strong joints. It makes it easier to me to do it with dados, to each his own I guess, I will never build my boxes without using dado cuts.