PDA

View Full Version : Home Depot didn't cut right..now what?

sumone
12-04-2004, 08:46 PM
In short: cuts weren't perfect, don't want to buy new wood & re-cut. what to do to still assemble the box as if it were still built to specs?
--------------------
Okay so I go in with my plans for a simple 1.5cuFt box. It's gonna take two 2'x4' sheets (with a lot leftover). I get home, ready to start drilling the screws in, but when measuring the different faces, only 1 of 6 is a perfect rectangle. The rest are trapezoids, with one of 'em being a quadrilateral. So now what to do?

Some faces are in excess of the dimension I need, some are under, and some are just right. My plan: for those that are over the dimension I need, just grab the handy jig and cut a horribly crooked line but at least the ends should match up. Then when putting stuff together, put some filler/sealant inside the holes? Is this a good plan? What "filler" should I use?

Cause at this point, I'm ready to go back to buying 'em...

DBfan187
12-04-2004, 08:49 PM
You could glass over the gaps/resin.

sumone
12-04-2004, 09:17 PM
ok. anything else I could use? or any other approaches I should maybe take?

yayopwr
12-04-2004, 09:30 PM
bring it back to homedepot...they did this for me and they cut me two free pieces
i also tipped the guy cutting $5 - it helps if you have a lot of cuts.
I got enough pieces cut for 2 sealed boxes :)

amedeuce
12-05-2004, 02:04 AM
Instead of going back to buying boxes, buy you a table top table saw or one with a stand. With the money you WASTE on prefabs you could cut your own........

iamamp3pimp
12-05-2004, 02:56 AM
or just take it back and complain. they will take care of you

IgnoreMe
12-05-2004, 02:57 AM
dont know about your home depots but mine as well as lowes all have signs that say "precision cuts are not guaranteed"...

Bigrick31
12-05-2004, 03:08 AM
whenever i get my wood cut a the lumber yard i stand by with a tape measure to measure them after they cut. so when they mess up i point it out. and if they have to they bring me a new sheet of mdf

maylar
12-06-2004, 02:30 PM
dont know about your home depots but mine as well as lowes all have signs that say "precision cuts are not guaranteed"...

Yup. They're just hired help, not cabinet makers. And the rigs they use (panel cutters) get abused every day. I only use their cutting service to split a panel small enough to carry. If you expect any more than 1/4" accuracy from these guys you're foolish.

A nice little 5-1/2" circular saw and a good straight edge and carpenter's square are all you really need.

Spkrman
12-06-2004, 05:30 PM
Yup. They're just hired help, not cabinet makers. And the rigs they use (panel cutters) get abused every day. I only use their cutting service to split a panel small enough to carry. If you expect any more than 1/4" accuracy from these guys you're foolish.

A nice little 5-1/2" circular saw and a good straight edge and carpenter's square are all you really need.

One of those big drywall T squares is *the* way to draw straight lines on a sheet of MDF :)

sumone
12-10-2004, 04:02 PM
okay, so I bought some new wood. been calling so many lumber & millworking shops. so far:
shop 1: have to buy wood from them (a 4x8 for $30) and each cut $1.50
shop 2: have to have an appointment & charges $50 an hour.

which one would you guys choose? I'm already @ $30...$15 on those first two sheets that were wasted and then the new sheets I bought.

req
12-10-2004, 04:12 PM
get the wood and a cheap circular saw and some saw horses.

if they cant do it right, do it yourself.

i have a brand new home depot near by, and the saw is pretty **** accurate.

Spkrman
12-10-2004, 04:33 PM
okay, so I bought some new wood. been calling so many lumber & millworking shops. so far:
shop 1: have to buy wood from them (a 4x8 for $30) and each cut $1.50
shop 2: have to have an appointment & charges $50 an hour.

which one would you guys choose? I'm already @ $30...$15 on those first two sheets that were wasted and then the new sheets I bought.

wow thats pricey.... 30 bux???????

squeak9798
12-10-2004, 04:38 PM
http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/shop_cart/pg_print_product.jsp?CNTTYPE=PROD_META&CNTKEY=shop_cart/pg_print_product.jsp&BV_SessionID=@@@@1571613987.1102711581@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccedadddfjmkiehcgelceffdfgidgjn.0&MID=9876&prod_id=167341

brandontw
12-10-2004, 04:47 PM
http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/shop_cart/pg_print_product.jsp?CNTTYPE=PROD_META&CNTKEY=shop_cart/pg_print_product.jsp&BV_SessionID=@@@@1571613987.1102711581@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccedadddfjmkiehcgelceffdfgidgjn.0&MID=9876&prod_id=167341
that saw *****, the worm gear ones are tone better, you can actually see the line your cutting

Damaso87
12-11-2004, 05:15 PM
I just realized how fortunate i was after reading this thread...

My dad is a finish carpenter, with his own business, so he has tons of saws and ...well...everything. Whenever i need wood, he just charges it onto the business account. No biggie. If any of yall need cuts or anything, stop on over here, saws, drills, and routers galore!

littlebuddy34
12-11-2004, 05:56 PM
yeah i feel lucky too cuz my dad is a carpenter turned builder, so we have just about every piece of equipment you could dream of sitting in a shop in my basement. My dad never uses it anymore cuz now he just subs out his work to other people to build his houses.

sumone
12-11-2004, 11:12 PM
well I bought that circular saw you mentioned squeak today. I am horrible at using it. The edges are all roughed-up when the saw gets done with it....not straight and smooth. It's like the blade leaves it's design on the edge...

It also ***** when your work area is your dining room (that's got too much stuff in it already) and your work table is just two chairs facing each other (the dr.phil setup) that you balance the wood on...So far I've abandoned the sealed box that I was gonna make off the bad wood from home depot.

CarlB
12-11-2004, 11:19 PM
Well, you should have just used the 'bad wood' and just cut all of them to make a box whatever size that turned out to be, and throw in some polyfill to make up the difference.

amedeuce
12-12-2004, 12:21 AM
my shop

you do all your work in your dining room? You dont have a garage, back yard or friends house to use? If not I think maybe you should just have someone build your boxes for you.

sumone
12-12-2004, 12:31 AM
you do all your work in your dining room? You dont have a garage, back yard or friends house to use? If not I think maybe you should just have someone build your boxes for you.

yup, nope, nope, none of us live in "houses", the last 2 were...now I want to try

I've made kick panels so I can get it done, it just takes a lot more patience than if all that stuff was readily available.

sumone
12-12-2004, 12:32 AM
and the "bad wood" was my practice wood that I used to try to get acquanted with using the saw. so that wood is out the question now.

your shop: show off...:)

DBfan187
12-12-2004, 12:35 AM
and the "bad wood" was my practice wood that I used to try to get acquanted with using the saw. so that wood is out the question now.

Aren't there any shops you can rent, use? Surely there has to be somewhere. High schools, ect.

sumone
12-12-2004, 12:49 AM
probly...I just haven't looked cause to me it ain't worth it. at my poor home is good enough...we do have a back porch, but that thing shakes so much no one ever goes out on it (building had to be built around early 1900s)

amedeuce
12-12-2004, 02:32 AM

Yea, Im also 30 and have been slowly aquiring that stuff since I was like 23. I mostly build furniture when I have time and Im home (navy) but it also helps for my car audio obsession

IgnoreMe
12-12-2004, 03:09 AM
maybe the dudes at lowes are better...

bigbass032
12-12-2004, 11:22 AM
maybe if you got a finer blade for the circular saw? it would help with the roughness you speak of.

Damaso87
12-12-2004, 09:53 PM
Exactly what i was going to say. What you have there is a huge toothed saw for cutting lumber and the sort. Get a blade for finish work.