PDA

View Full Version : Angles

jimmyslide
12-02-2004, 01:25 AM
I know that building angles in boxes is kinda a win=lose situation, as well as just best found out by trial and error.

My application is for dual 10" subs with the box ported and tuned to around 62.5. As you can tell, it is an SPL only box! I have done angles before and have both gained from them and lost from them.

But there in lies my question...Is there a general rule of thumb when doing angles in boxes?

paikiah
12-02-2004, 10:02 AM
45degrees

jimmyslide
12-02-2004, 11:59 AM
Ok, I guess I didnt' really clarify the question too well. I was going to run 45's all along the sides, but what I was really thinking was about a wedge at teh back corner of the box and a wedge at the back of the port wall to ease the air flow.
Kind of hard to explain, but I will try to draw it...

Never mind...tried to draw it, didn't work...I will just pm you.

LOL....I ****!!! :tomatofa:

req
12-02-2004, 12:00 PM
ms paint is eaiser.

jtomsic
12-02-2004, 12:01 PM
only angle i know is bad is 90degrees cause it traps the bass waves.

paikiah
12-02-2004, 12:34 PM
I saw your pic and I think I can make it out.
You were talking about the large piece? I still say 45 degrees. Reach top to bottom though.

as for the port side, go for 45 yet again, only this time, a much smaller piece.

THis was your drawing, in case you forgot how it looked after you edited it out;)

l l / l
l / l
l\ / l
l \ / l
l_\_______________________ /_____l

erm, all this are my personal opinions and Imight be dead wrong. :)

paikiah
12-02-2004, 12:34 PM
wow, the way it came out here is more nasty than it looks on email!!

jimmyslide
12-02-2004, 02:32 PM
lol...that is such a sweet drawing, I think I might become an artist in stead of law enforcement!!! :D

TimberJon
12-03-2004, 11:30 AM
http://www.jlaudio.com/tutorials/bracing/index.html

Theres another few great websites where the pros put up their best info.

Does anyone have that one link to the site with the step by step pages with all the calculation forms and what not? with an integrated glossary? I lost my link with a reformat. Bad me..

Moe Lester
12-03-2004, 05:49 PM
You might wanna re-think tuning to 62.5, i highly doubt the resonant frequency of that mustang is around 70 hz. probably be louder if you tuned a bit lower so you peak at the resonant frequency. If your cars resonant freq is actually 70 though, it ought to do well :)

jimmyslide
12-03-2004, 07:13 PM
Tried tuning it to a tonne of different frequencies, and that one seemed to work the best for us. Had boxes tuned from 49 up to 70, and this was the best one...